Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 91

Author Topic: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC  (Read 430087 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 11:10:12 am »

It does look interesting, but I personally think the character sprites are closer to RPGMaker-style sprites than the original Harvest Moon.

The only Harvest Moon I played was "It's a wonderful life" and I was disillusioned due to the time limit.  The fact that the game ends kinda ruins it for me.
The original had a time limit too, and a *much* shorter one, at that.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 11:16:00 am »

Spoiler: also (click to show/hide)
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 11:19:10 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 11:21:25 am »

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 11:36:40 am »

But at some point you simply cannot grow anymore because you spend the entire day watering all the crops, or trying to get them in.

My point is that you should do that, but before it get super boring, you hire someone that does it for you. At that point, you're worried about optimising the hired guy's time, or on getting animals besides the crops. I mean, doesn't it just stagnate given that a day only has so many hours?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 11:37:28 am »

But at some point you simply cannot grow anymore because you spend the entire day watering all the crops, or trying to get them in.

My point is that you should do that, but before it get super boring, you hire someone that does it for you. At that point, you're worried about optimising the hired guy's time, or on getting animals besides the crops. I mean, doesn't it just stagnate given that a day only has so many hours?

I remember the GBC version of this game that gave you a partner (either girl or boy).
The girl could take care of animals while tho dude did farming related tasks.

However... their work often left much to be desired (for example the guy would water only 1 out of 3 titles with plants) untill a certain in game event happens that causes them to actually start working.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:41:28 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 11:41:43 am »

Yeah?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:43:44 am by LeoLeonardoIII »
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 12:42:23 pm »

Can someone make a side-by-side comparing the features of this to Rune Factory?  As it's pretty much a straight-up HM clone, it's going to live or die based on whether it provides a better experience.  I haven't seen anything that RF doesn't already have, and as much as I might rag on it's artstyle it's still miles ahead of Stardew's phoned-in spritework.

e: The gif is the words "anime as fuck" in pink sparkley letters.  Reading it is roughly akin to looking at RF3's artstyle, although in retrospect rainbow sparkles may have been more appropriate.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 01:03:38 pm by Microcline »

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 01:00:29 pm »

Can you say that pink thing in normal text, so it can be read on a normal skin?

On topic, I think this is a pretty good idea. I'm probably not going to buy it, but that's just because I'm cheap as shit, nothing to do with the apparent quality of the game.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2012, 01:36:26 pm »

+80 achievements? DANG YOU PEOPLE AND your obsession with achievements. You ruined a perfectly good game already.

"Wow I love that woman and I am finally getting married to her, this is the happiest time in the whole game"

"ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!"

"Ok game sucks now... you ruined the last 10 hours of gametime. Hope your happy with your achievements"

Honestly, I wish people realised that achievements suck... perhaps not in the sense of having achivements but in the sense that having manditory screens that pop up during a GOOD game sucks. Some games are absolutely TERRIBLE with them too. "Achievement unlocked during the most touching scene in the game".

Why did people decide that pop up ads were a good thing?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:04:09 pm by Neonivek »

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2012, 02:51:07 pm »

Been watching this for a couple weeks, I honestly can't wait. I personally never really got hardcore into Harvest Moon outside of the very first SNES HM, which was AMAZING and still is, I play it at least once a year. The RF branch is pretty good I admit, but I kind of hope this doesn't go in that direction and continues trying to captivate what made the original so fun.

He seems to be going into his own little direction recently, with how wild grass and trees work and surprisingly they look like very good additions to the old formula.

As far as additional farm hands go, I've seen it suggested on the forum and I hope, if ever added, that the automation is more like some help rather than managing a handful/bunch of farmhands to do everything for you, to me that kind of destroys the entire foundation that the HM gameplay is built on. That's just my opinion though.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 03:03:26 pm »

+80 achievements? DANG YOU PEOPLE AND your obsession with achievements. You ruined a perfectly good game already.

"Wow I love that woman and I am finally getting married to her, this is the happiest time in the whole game"

"ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!"

"Ok game sucks now... you ruined the last 10 hours of gametime. Hope your happy with your achievements"

Honestly, I wish people realised that achievements suck... perhaps not in the sense of having achivements but in the sense that having manditory screens that pop up during a GOOD game sucks. Some games are absolutely TERRIBLE with them too. "Achievement unlocked during the most touching scene in the game".

Why did people decide that pop up ads were a good thing?

While I never really gave a fuck at all about achievements they've never ruined a game for me. Yeah they can be annoying and yes most developers use them wrong.

The current flawed achievement system is a product of the Xbox Live shop. Since achievements give you currency to use in the store, developers have to have a certain amount of "easy" story mode unlocks or they get complaints from customers.
I have seen a few games use achievements right and examples would be both Binding of Isaac and Half-Life Episode Two. Binding of Isaac uses it's achievements to guide the player without have traditional objectives and there was some great achievements in HL EP2 that awarded really amazing tasks. Little Rocket Man remains one of my prouder gaming achievements to date.   

As for the topic. I must admit that the Harvest Moon games are one of my least manly weaknesses (the other being chocolate). I got immensely addicted to the GBA edition and the portable nature only aggravated that. The thought of having a Harvest Moon clone with possible more depth on my desktop or laptop when I'm on the train is appealing. Although I'll have to wonder what people will think of a tall bearded man playing cutesy farming games on a train, I'm thinking "rapist".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2012, 03:07:22 pm »

Even now I am trying to find a way to turn achievements off on the PS3 and Steam (heck pop ups in general sometimes). It must be somewhere.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2012, 03:08:38 pm »

Can't you turn off the Steam overlay for games which would prevent steam achievements popping up?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2012, 03:10:51 pm »

Harvest Moon for PC

Yeah, I'm pretty much sold.
Sounds neato.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 91