Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 91

Author Topic: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC  (Read 430101 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2012, 03:41:37 pm »

yes please

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2012, 03:45:46 pm »

The current flawed achievement system is a product of the Xbox Live shop. Since achievements give you currency to use in the store, developers have to have a certain amount of "easy" story mode unlocks or they get complaints from customers.

You can spend Gamerscore on Xbox Live now? Now granted, I haven't pulled my 360 out of storage in almost 2 years now, but the last time I logged in achievements were for ePeen wagging only.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2012, 04:15:58 pm »

You don't gain any currency for achievements. At least right now. There's some dumb reward program thing in the works that some people are guessing will give rewards based on gamerscore but that's not a current feature, and in my opinion isn't likely to ever give out microsoft points. As it is, right now they just have a stupid very minimalist program that as far as I know gives you avatar items on your birthmonth and a teeny tiny 1% rebate on purchases for what most people would consider a pretty huge gamerscore. So yeah that's never gonna be worth pursuing.

The current achivement weirdness isn't a product of that anyway. It's a product of every retail game having a bare minimum of 1000 points worth of achivements. Not sure if there's a limit of the number of achivements total.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2012, 04:30:07 pm »

I thought it was pretty cool how Borderlands 2 handled it, with the badass points and all, otherwise I'd never cared at all about achievements and they never ruined anything for me. Sometimes they can be stupid and pop up and cover up something important (like loot on a timed window or something) but if that happens the game probably has many more stupid interface decisions that eclipse the achievement issues anyway.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2012, 12:56:26 pm »

I thought it was pretty cool how Borderlands 2 handled it, with the badass points and all, otherwise I'd never cared at all about achievements and they never ruined anything for me. Sometimes they can be stupid and pop up and cover up something important (like loot on a timed window or something) but if that happens the game probably has many more stupid interface decisions that eclipse the achievement issues anyway.

Boarderlands only had it happen during the gameplay, and the game had SUPER strong segregation between gameplay and story... to the extent that some boss battles would have been UTTARLY impossible had they been played out in story cutscenes, but otherwise the game wasn't based off of story, emotion, intelligence, or anything that required your attention and integration (Hense why they kill off any character with strong story ties but low comedy).

This however IS a game that can easily be ruined by pop up achievements. I still remember my favorite scene playing Harvest Moon (My girlfriend brought my a Sandwich to critique).

In this game I'd be met with a "ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: ATE A SANDWICH!" which she was talking... or even after it would still be bad.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 12:58:33 pm by Neonivek »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2012, 12:58:36 pm »

I like some Mount and Blade achievements.  They're things you wouldn't do during the normal course of gameplay, for the most part.  ACHIEVEMENT GET: Conquered a castle using only companions and no regular troops.

James009

• Bay Watcher
  • Under centaur siege for going on three years now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2012, 07:06:46 pm »

This game looks great, I'm glad SOMEONE finally put a Harvest Moon like game on the PC with more/improved features. If it's anything like the originals (and a bit more polished) then it should do fantastic when it goes for sale. My only concerns are that it takes FOREVER to do anything (like in Animal Parade). Some of us don't have quite as much time as we used to to play these awesome games like we should.
Recently slaughtered by the undead!

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2012, 11:27:46 pm »

I absolutely love the music used in the trailer on the steam greenlight page. Definitely keeping an eye on this.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2012, 09:16:33 am »

Giving this a little bump because I'm interested in it. Been playing Rune Factory on my DS for the past few weeks while recovering from surgery, and I'd love to see an indie developer do a Harvest Moon/Rune Factory game tailored to the audience. Really hoping it gets some interest on greenlight, though if it gets released outside of steam I'd take that too. Sadly this is the type of game that I can't see doing well without lots of exposure, as it is a fairly niche genre.

beefy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2012, 09:58:38 am »

/// Small Update ///

Here is a picture showing the three different character portraits.
Players will be able to switch between these styles as they wish!

Looks great imho. :)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2012, 12:27:33 pm »

Rune Factory meets Shepherd's Crossing would be ideal here. Perhaps with a mix of Viva Pinata.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2012, 05:21:16 pm »

Damn, seeing this and reading the thread made me want to play Rune Factory again.

By gods did Rune Factory (1) have balance problems, though. Farming was so useless compared to mining. :-\
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2012, 05:38:24 pm »

Thats what RF3 is for. Or maybe Run Factory 2, haven't palyed that one.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2012, 05:56:40 pm »

Yeah, and that's the problem. I've already spent too much money on games the last few months to make an impulse purchase of Rune Factory 3 (or 2).

Anyway, I really hope this gets on steam, it looks pretty good and the PC could certainly use a Harvest Moon-like (yeah, I just made that up on the spot).
Entropy is not what it used to be.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2012, 11:13:21 pm »

All i basically used farming for was growing turnips in the caverns for extra energy when fighting stuff.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 91