Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91

Author Topic: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC  (Read 431131 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC
« Reply #1320 on: February 06, 2021, 11:10:50 pm »

You're absolutely right.  That's how it is when my brother starts up a multiplayer server, too.  He just... fishes.  His ex farms hard.  I tend to go mining/farming.  The day feels so short when one's alone, but with other people it's amazing what gets done every cycle.

Counterpoint, I just purchased 380 starfruit seeds in Spring Y3.  It would have been 480, but I plan to need to harvest 100 pineapple (or taro, which is a separate plot) for a future quest.

I cannot help who I am:
Spoiler: Red Mage (click to show/hide)

That said, Elliot mentioned seafood so I "wasted" like 2-3 hours getting him a fresh crab from the traps and buying some oil to fry it in.  Totally disrupted my morning <3
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: February 08, 2021, 02:38:51 pm »

Part of the charm of the game for me is getting away from my usual video game tendencies.

A youtuber i like, Baertaffy, once said that this game is basically the video game version of a Spa Day, and I whole heartedly agree with him. Have an open Saturday, throw on comfy jammies, and play some stardew? A good use of your saturday.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: February 08, 2021, 03:58:06 pm »

Does the Switch version of the game get all the new stuff? I have it on both PC and Switch, but I haven't checked the Switch version in a while.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: February 08, 2021, 06:07:52 pm »

It doesn't have it yet, but probably will soonish.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: February 27, 2021, 01:08:00 am »

Gonna just ... drop this here in case it is of interest.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: February 27, 2021, 01:33:50 am »

Gonna just ... drop this here in case it is of interest.

Does anybody else find that the transition to something other than pixelart causes it to just lose a bit of something? I could tolerate Rune Factory, but everything else in the genre kind of puts me off.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: February 27, 2021, 01:37:26 am »

Honestly, I still think that Harvest Moon 64 was the best farming sim ever made, and that was 3D. But it was definitely cuter than the art assets shown.

I'm mostly interested in it because of the changed flavor to island life? yeah.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: February 27, 2021, 07:18:45 am »

Coral Island...I like everything they've done, but from the trailer and kickstarter page, I'm seeing absolutely nothing new to the farming sim genre. Not even any noteworthy refinements to the systems we've seen a dozen times before. Hard to get excited over something so unoriginal.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: February 27, 2021, 09:08:24 am »

Eh, if you want somewhat different My time in Portia hits that spot pretty well imo. Less of a farming focus but it's still there. There's a bit more to the mining, combat and crafting parts which makes it different enough I think.

Coral Island looks very pretty, but other than that like Folly said, doesn't seem to do much more than that.

Edit:

I did just stumble upon Roots of Pacha, which looks like SV but set in the stone age, seems to be more about cultivating stuff to develop your village, with things like new ideas that pop up and let you develop tech like sundials or wells. Seems interesting and rather developed for something still early in development.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 09:51:14 am by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: February 27, 2021, 01:12:27 pm »

I kinda like the look of One Lonely Outpost, but it also doesn't look like it adds anything really new - evolutionary rather than revolutionary. The graphics also look like a nice compromise between "not just pixels" and something very drawn like Coral Island above - they seem charming in more of a late 90s way than an early 90s way, I suppose.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: February 27, 2021, 01:18:45 pm »

Coral Island...I like everything they've done, but from the trailer and kickstarter page, I'm seeing absolutely nothing new to the farming sim genre. Not even any noteworthy refinements to the systems we've seen a dozen times before. Hard to get excited over something so unoriginal.
I'm in agreement with this sentiment. When I saw the phrase, "Reimagining the farming sim game," I was hoping they were doing something wacky, but the more I watched the more it felt less like a reimagining and more like a rehashing of the same old ideas.

Not that these kinds of games need to be completely turned on their heads or anything; the genre is attractive to people largely because of the laid-back structure, and I'd hate to see that go. But, to entertain my cynical side, this looks more like an attempt to capitalize on Stardew's success than anything else.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: February 27, 2021, 01:27:27 pm »

Yeah, the look of One Lonely Outpost appeals to me more than Coral Island does.

But none of these really feel like they'll be a major step forward in any way. Still, it'll be nice to see some more PC games in the genre.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: February 27, 2021, 04:23:13 pm »

Yeah, I was extremely excited for the one about gravedigging, but the reviews said it was a grindathon ...

Well, frankly: I'm still really interested in the flavor shift based on the devs being in Indonesia. I agree that it mostly looks like ~more of the same~, (mechanically) and I wonder if they're not biting off more than they can chew. But I think a lot of the charm of Stardew, to me, is the sense of place; I wouldn't mind experiencing that sense of place somewhere that I'm less familiar with.

Still glad I posted the link, cuz I got to bookmark One Lonely Outpost and Roots of Pacha :3

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: February 27, 2021, 04:29:25 pm »

I think gravekeeper has been decently improved on the grind front by eventual DLCs, for what it's worth? Was some automation additions or somethin' like that. Watching a bit of a playthrough didn't look that bad...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: February 27, 2021, 06:08:27 pm »

Rune Factory first came out in 2006. I'm not seeing much more than another minor iteration with Coral Island. I was tired of false advertising decades ago.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91