Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91]

Author Topic: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC  (Read 430083 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC
« Reply #1350 on: September 29, 2021, 11:11:30 pm »

(Sorry for the necro, didn't expect the pageroll)
It also helps that, in a very real sense, the grind literally doesn't matter.

You can spend days being completely useless and it doesn't actually hurt you that much. You don't need massive amounts of money. You don't need to complete the Community Center quickly. You don't have to get married. You don't have to level up all your skills.

It has all these great mechanisms to help you deal with the grind or make things more efficient if that's what'll make you happy as a player. But it also doesn't really penalize you if you don't.
Exactly!  I think I've posted about this in more general threads, but it's a really interesting design choice.

*I* neurotically pause any time I'm considering what to do next - I play Stardew Valley as if it's Heat Signature, honestly!  For fun, actual fun, I work out the profit/day value for various activities like the Chrysanthemum (you know what I mean, the device that duplicates minerals) and do napkin math on whether I should fill a chicken coop with them. 

Then I go collect truffles.  By far the most profitable use of a barn, and yet fascinatingly chaotic and also time-consuming.  I could be using an auto-collecter to get milk, turn it to cheese (because Artisan is obviously the optimal pick) and-
Wait, making cheese is almost exactly as difficult as collecting truffles but for a fraction of the profit.

Well my point is that I have a reassuring morning route/routine of picking up bait and feeding it into traps, while collecting from the traps, and then dropping all the results into a nice chest which is gradually growing massive stacks of low-value "fish".  Then dropping all the trash in a separate bin, from which I draw 2 trash for the recyclers.  As I do all that, I plan my day.

My brother and some other people I've played with are used to multiplayer.  My brother even FISHES multiplayer!  That means time passes as he fights the fish!  It's really cool.

I started playing again a few days ago and I don't remember Mr Qi's little quest room, even though I was exploiting the island months ago.  Seems pretty cool.  I wish the quest timers didn't have to get cut off by month - a lot of quests will have longer timers if you take them early in a month.  But it's neat how it makes the dungeons "dangerous" during the appropriate quests (not just the fancy new stuff, but also the modified enemies).

Slime breeding seems like a missed opportunity though, doesn't it?  It's pointless.  You only want purple slimes, so you keep going through the skull cave and getting purple slime eggs until you get a breeding pair, then you have a little iridium farm. wooo.  I came back to my save to a bunch of tiger slimes and crossbreeds in my hutch and (after some wiki-diving) was just disappointed.

Last thought: Am I a bad parent?  Or just the worst at form rather than functionality?  (I think the clashing styles are kinda cool, besides the obvious utilitarianism)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also I think it's fun to sometimes give Elliot a precious gem instead of the usual pomegranate.  Feels like sharing something I like, you know?  So many different shinies!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 11:13:49 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: September 30, 2021, 12:28:25 am »

Last thought: Am I a bad parent?  Or just the worst at form rather than functionality?  (I think the clashing styles are kinda cool, besides the obvious utilitarianism)

I mean, I assume your entire house smells like a distillery, so how much worse can it possibly be to also sleep surrounded by fermenting beverages?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: September 30, 2021, 09:35:21 am »

Your downstairs is well-decorated and clutter-free, while mine is usually a wretched, cramped labyrinth of kegs, barrels, and tools. As long as you don't mind your toddlers' crippling alcoholism, your parenting seems better than mine.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: October 01, 2021, 11:36:43 am »

That's practically a dwarf fortress valley.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: October 01, 2021, 03:17:09 pm »

I just see the kid crawling out of the crib, across the beds, and then rolling around the barrels like one of those roller conveyer belts. You wake up at night to a steady *babby noises, thump, babby noises, thump* sound.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: October 01, 2021, 03:45:34 pm »

Yeah uh...
Is the kid supposed to sleep in the bed?  Because he kinda just stands over there near the basement
At midnight
yeah I'm the worst

In my defense he got in the crib just fine!  But I was sorta wondering if I could block pathing to the child beds, and then I forgot, and also I was busy.  eh I'm sure he'll be fine (but to be clear, I am clearing a path.  And also trying to play with him daily!)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: October 01, 2021, 06:58:33 pm »

If you need to reclaim some "walking space" or other such nonsense to prevent your child from developing valuable sleeping-while-standing-up skills, I can't help but notice your tidy NW keg room is using a
Code: [Select]
kkkkkkk
k______
k______
kkkkkkk

layout instead of
Code: [Select]
kkkkkkk
k_k_k_k
k______
kkkkkkk

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: October 22, 2021, 05:33:03 pm »

So who's hype for Haunted Chocolatier?! I'm looking forward to trying it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: October 22, 2021, 07:06:23 pm »

HC looks a lot like Moonlighter, which I enjoyed.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: October 22, 2021, 07:07:47 pm »

Looks interesting. Not 100% sure it'll be my cup of tea, but I'm certainly willing to give it a shot!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: October 23, 2021, 01:32:52 pm »

Yeah, reminds me of Recettear a little. Capitalism, Ho!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: October 23, 2021, 08:01:04 pm »

Yeah, reminds me of Recettear a little. Capitalism, Ho!

I just hope the game won't have too many customers who try sell me worthless items.
Or kids who ask for huge discounts.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91]