Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Perpetual Motion Minecart Grinder & Other Weird Physics  (Read 22718 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Perpetual Motion Minecart Grinder & Other Weird Physics
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2012, 02:36:19 pm »

(Just a side note: this concept is horrifying)
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2012, 11:49:59 pm »

The linear track-ramp exploit can essentially replace rollers and act as an accelerator or an elevator.

My mine-cart testbed fortress (work in progress) has the following:

1.  Railgun (8 ramps get it to roughly 1 tick/tile impulse and can toss most of a cart load about 15-20 tiles down range.  I implemented this in a previous fort, but added one hear for additional testing of various load-outs.

2. A mine cart mist generator.  Cart on a closed loop dips water from an aquifer-filled ditch and then dumps it onto a grate at the far end of the loop.  Collecting data on the water drop rate and how easy a second car can be added to double the transfer rate.  (Carts are dropped onto the loop from above, and there is also a switch to divert carts to shut it off.)

3.  A lift-ramp system to act as a automatic, no-power, magma "pump stack".  This is currently being re-built since an assumption I made about the track-ramps exploit is apparently not true.  There are other posts on various systems for doing this, so I am just working out an implementation as well.  The hauling route for this was named "MAGMA CARTA"  ::)
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2012, 11:55:00 am »

This thread reminds me so much of the early days of Minecraft, when carts had glitches that could send the carts' speed so high that they would turn into such a a concentration of kinetic energy that they would start shaking so much they would make a veritable force field, among other things which included max speed travel for ridiculously long distances.

Oh, and clocks. Has anyone yet discovered/theorized if Cart Physics allows for any reliable way to measure time through, maybe, a very precise perpetual motion system?

And does the gain or loss in speed/kinetic energy change at all with different cart weight (circus-stone carts full of circus-stone blocks/boulders vs empty candy-metal carts)?

Oh, and great job to all the !!Legendary Scientists!! in here.
Pages: 1 2 [3]