Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to keep your military elite, well elite ...  (Read 4037 times)

Tapeworm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to keep your military elite, well elite ...
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 10:42:28 pm »

My method is to embark with two dwarves with Teaching skill and the essential military skills between them. One might have Sword/Shield Use/Armor Use, and the other gets Sword/Fighting/Dodging.

It goes much faster than starting with raw recruits, as they actually learn skills from demonstrations.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to keep your military elite, well elite ...
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 02:25:33 am »

I would like to ask chevil to elaborate beyond "it's easy, it just takes time", since "time" could mean anywhere between a season and 25 years, and I'd like to ask anyone to share experiences regarding training dwarfs.

I know that danger rooms work, but I don't use them.

Training in pairs works, but it sometimes works more slowly than other times.  I use this.  A recruit that starts training the day after embark can be an axe lord by the time the caravan arrives.

I believe that bringing a dwarf that has high teacher and high military skill, and pairing him immediately with a raw recruit, does not work.  I am curious to know if anyone has had verifiable successful experience with a teacher, and if so, is it ever faster than training raw recruits in pairs.
Having a designated teatcher is the fastest non danger room way to train a dwarf. My teacher spent years training recruits(maybe 5-7) before hitting legendary but she can make an axelord in a season now.
Pages: 1 [2]