Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Necromancer ambush!  (Read 4774 times)

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Necromancer ambush!
« on: September 28, 2012, 07:46:15 pm »

There is a necromancer harassing my fort and I for one am tired of his shenanigans. Are there any tricks to finding him? Or am I going to have to over react (read magma).

Edit: I also have a merchant who refuses to leave despite the death and reanimation of all of his friends.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 07:53:07 pm by Awessum Possum »
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer ambush!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 08:17:25 pm »

Setup an ambush where, in order to reach a pile of (not yet animated) corpses, he has to walk over some traps.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 09:04:00 pm »

Setup an ambush where, in order to reach a pile of (not yet animated) corpses, he has to walk over some traps.
A single cage trap suffices. Weapon traps leave the possibility of survival, unless you use metal serrated disks or something.

A method that comes to mind... Reluctantly I might add... Is fighting the undead with the undead. Should you ever happen upon a vampire Dwarf, recruit that sucker into the military and roam your map searching for the necro. If the corpses it puts down come back to life, you're getting closer.

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 10:42:05 pm »

A single cage trap suffices. Weapon traps leave the possibility of survival, unless you use metal serrated disks or something.

A method that comes to mind... Reluctantly I might add... Is fighting the undead with the undead. Should you ever happen upon a vampire Dwarf, recruit that sucker into the military and roam your map searching for the necro. If the corpses it puts down come back to life, you're getting closer.

The Vamp has been fighting for a month. He was my solution the the Necromancer siege I had in the spring, the Necro is in front of my fort, and I just can't find him. I think, I am going to try and move some bodies into my new refuse stockpile, and then fill it with cage traps. I will use my vampire, and the Captain of the Guard (aka. Batman) to herd him towards it. However, it is almost midnight so, we'll see what happens tomorrow.

P.S. In the event that the trap doesn't work, is there an easy way to release a controlled magma attack, from a volcano, with little or no surface access?

Edit: Ooh! Brainstorm! Does magma 'evaporate' or otherwise just go away after a time? Also, will the ground catch on fire? because I am currently relying on a hastily erected wooden palisade for defense.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 10:51:37 pm by Awessum Possum »
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 11:56:26 pm »

Wooden walls will not catch fire. Grass, necromancers, and zombies WILL, although only two of those die from it...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 12:05:36 am »

Wooden walls will not catch fire. Grass, necromancers, and zombies WILL, although only two of those die from it...
I hope your trying to say what I think your trying to say.

*cough*
*cough*
*cough*
*cough*
*cough*
*cough*
Magma
*cough*
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 08:54:46 am »

Sooo... wildfire spreading across the landscape and flaming zombie... Yeah, I can do that. I'm thinking we will see what we will see.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 09:19:13 am »

Sooo... wildfire spreading across the landscape and flaming zombie... Yeah, I can do that. I'm thinking we will see what we will see.
Bright side: Once you stop the reanimation, zombies collapse pretty easily. Dark side: Your militia might get set on fire. Solution: Send worthless migrants to kill them naked with copper axes and hammers!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 12:40:21 pm »

Bright side: Once you stop the reanimation, zombies collapse pretty easily. Dark side: Your militia might get set on fire. Solution: Send worthless migrants to kill them naked with copper axes and hammers!

Yeahhh... about that, I sorta did that already (the siege got some zambies into my fort). Also I don't have much in the way of expendable weapons. But I'll think of something.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 04:07:05 pm »

Yeahhh... about that, I sorta did that already (the siege got some zambies into my fort). Also I don't have much in the way of expendable weapons. But I'll think of something.
You can reclaim the weapons, just make sure they won't be on fire when they are.
Sig

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 04:50:59 pm »

Those recruits will be massacred horribly if the zombies can group up on them. Maybe even if they can't. The necromancer's power has a 10 tile range. If you move the vampire to where a corpse has risen, chances are you'll spot it.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 05:14:56 pm »

Putting fire to the zombies is not so great when you have cage traps out of wood.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 08:21:33 pm »

^good thing mine are made of lead.

Those recruits will be massacred horribly if the zombies can group up on them. Maybe even if they can't. The necromancer's power has a 10 tile range. If you move the vampire to where a corpse has risen, chances are you'll spot it.

Yeah, I've been doing that, but I'm starting to get impatient. And yeah, recruits just won't go over well.
I haven't actually been able to play today, but tomorrow I shall put an end to this once and for all.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 08:32:35 pm »

A. The suggestion was to kill the necromancer first.
B. My fortresses always have a surplus of dwarves. Once the necromancer is dead, siccing migrants on the zombies is win-win.
Sig

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 10:15:04 am »

Well, good news and bad news. The good news is the Necromancer was found by a water buffalo, bad news is he escaped alive. Worse still, my vampire's right arm is now useless, and Batman plus two other elites are dead. I hate zombie yaks with a burning passion.
Pages: [1] 2