Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: General Final Fantasy discussion. Blitzball: The only good thing about FF10?  (Read 5108 times)

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I actually really liked final fantasy 12, like so much so that it's my second favourite. I still think I like 6 more, but I actually have to think about that...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 09:29:13 am by Kedly »
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Am I the only Final Fantasy fan who thoroughly enjoyed 12?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 06:37:56 am »

It's better than 13, in the sense that you have freedom, that's for sure.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 06:49:21 am »

I never really got into any FF except for 8 and 7, with 8 being my absolute favourite and one that will always have a spot on my top ten games list. I don't know, none of the others ever grabbed me, I tried the latest one for ps3, what was it 13? And I was just bored to tears.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 06:50:31 am »

Now personally I don't finish FF games. I finished IX and never could play it again after accidentally rushing through it. Just to let ya know. BUT on the actual subject...

XII Had its pros and cons that were very interesting. The story was tbh basic FF styled, the characters were familiar due to the world of Ivilance being presented to all before via the FFTactic games so that world in itself was already fully fleshed out in FF standards, which that in itself was an interesting move to take considering that almost every other FF game has been its own universe in itself...

The combat system was an interesting take on the way they were trying to remain same yet also taking a more action orientated method to the TBCombat systems. Giving it a more actiony feel did make it nice as a different style, but the Grind was much more obvious then any other due to their combo chain thing. I think I killed over 300 of those wolves just to see what the chain gave me in the start :P

The characters themselves were quite good, while I couldn't connect fully with them, they were all likeable in their own way, still, they were FF Main Characters. So many Cliches categories were ticked...

The Leveling up system................. TBH I liked it, but still felt very lacking considering that each character can be built almost exactly the same way with extra grind, and that some of the best skills or abilities that character X would need to be epic were in the section that character Y was in and for X to get there he would need 6 times the amount of LP then Y to get it. If it wasn't for the fact that the game fully INCOURAGED you to grind this would be a down point. Now if it was like being able to get Squall's Ultimate Weapon on the first disc via Card>Mat exchange ability it would would be kinda off putting but yeah...

All in all, FFXII got 8/10 in my own personal score. It kinda finds itself under X which is under VII and VIII in itself...

For fyi note, my fave pattern goes like this 3, 2, 8, 7, 10 (10-2 fits in here if just for the intro song), 5, 12, 6, 1, 4, 9... MMOs don't exist... And have never played 13 due to it being on the consoles I don't own T_T
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 07:07:18 am »

Yeah, I think 12 was the first game that I actually hit bosses over the required level, because for once I enjoyed the battle system. I guess since you posted your list I'll say that my favourite list goes as : 6, 12, Tactics (NOT ADVANCED), 5, 4, 10, 8, 9, 7, 13, agreed that the mmo's don't exist, and havent played the earlier ones enough to gain an opinion
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 07:21:36 am »

I really enjoyed it. Didn't completely finish the game back when, but it was one of my favorite FFs even without completion. The art style of the game notably was impressive to me. In retrospect, it might not have been as technically awe-inspiring as many of today's games, but I loved the detail put into every little building and block.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 07:45:00 am by freeformschooler »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 07:28:59 am »

With the single exception of Chrono Trigger, Up until 2 years ago, I'd never finished a JRPG, or even got near to finishing one. A friend got me to go through FF 7, 8, 10, 10-2 with her. We both agreed 7 was shit, we don't know how we got through it. 8 was okay for nostalgia reasons and that damn card game. 10 was pretty bad except the combat was passable and I loved the blitzball. 10-2 was both of our favorite's though, despite the poor fan reaction. For me, it had the most fun combat system. It also was the easiest to laugh at, which was the real reason I was sitting through them in the first place. Laguna's cramps, Tidus's laugh, Rikku's "Disasterriffic", Brother, those were why I played.

12? Well... on a whim I purchased it at a used game store, against the advice of my friend... I said, "We got through 7, surely we can get through this one." We get home, pop it in... Hour and a half in, and only two fights have happened, but I can already tell that the fights... they're just not going to work for me... they were so slow... Yeah... I don't know anything about the story except, "I'm Captain Bosch from Dalmasca!" so I can't judge it there, but the gameplay just ruins it for me.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 10:22:34 am »

I wasn't a big fan of 12, but to me everything scores higher than 10.

sluissa:  I totally agree about 10-2, it was way more fun than most of them.  :)

My favorites are 6 and 8.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 10:59:44 am »

8 was terrible and actively discouraged you from leveling up. 9 had great atmosphere and was the last open world, barring the MMO which is a different kettle of mined fish. Everything after 9 was "here let me hold your hand on this treacherous well tended garden path while showing you home movies with popcorn and soda and everything." Eventually it was "don't worry about fighting, I'll do it for you."

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 11:10:10 am »

I haven't played it, but a good friend of mine in RL has repeatedly stated he considers it his favorite.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 11:11:25 am »

Remember Cecil. <3

Twelve was decent for me. The art was nice, but the combat felt sort of lackluster at times.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 11:13:27 am »

Played all main-line Final Fantasies up to 13, but went through maybe half of them.

And sorry, but 6&5 are best :P The series are, imho, going downhill after X, with 13th being the worst in my eyes. It just turned into fancy-graphics summon/aeon/sci-fi* centered game rather than enchanting tale of heroes and dark villains.

*Give me back my precious fantasy-steampunk themes, dammit >:(
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 11:18:30 am »

I have 4, 6, 7, 13, and 13-2. Though 13-2 and 7 are the only ones I've made actual progress on. The pre-9 era kinda intimidates me a bit.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 11:36:51 am »

There are TWELVE of them!?
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 11:37:55 am »

There are TWELVE of them!?

As of right now there are 14 main games.

MUCH more if we include individual sequels and spin offs.
Pages: [1] 2 3