Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: General Final Fantasy discussion. Blitzball: The only good thing about FF10?  (Read 5053 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Am I the only Final Fantasy fan who thoroughly enjoyed 12?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 11:42:05 am »

There are TWELVE of them!?

Technically there are 62 of them if you include spin offs

Semi ninjaed by Neonivek
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 11:43:56 am »

Now are we including the renamed games in that?

I wouldn't count Mystic Quest as a Final Fantasy game. Well I personally wouldn't.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 11:48:04 am »

I don't think I did. Though I may have included 2-5 remakes on accident
It's FEF, not FEOF

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 11:49:09 am »

I thought it was the best in the [numbered] series.  The combat, while repetitive, was still a step up from the usual Final Fantasy crap, was more entertaining, the plot was actually somewhat interesting instead of "an ancient evil has awoken", the world seemed though out and well-developed, and it didn't get derailed halfway through to focus on a love story between two unlikeable angsty teenagers.  Vaan would be a shoe-in for worst FF protagonist if it weren't for Squall and Tidus though, and is a great example of how focus groups and fans ruin everything.  I can see why Matsuno left the project, and it's a real shame Squeenix decided to treat their only employee capable of making consistently good games like that.

It is quite different from the rest of the series, and if you're the kind of person who thinks SquallxRinoa is the greatest love story of the 20th century and Sephiroth is a wellspring of cool I can see why you'd hate it.  You'd also hate it if you hate JRPGs, but that's a far more understandable position.

Spoiler'd due to being the stupid irrelevant opinions of someone who wasted way too much time playing JRPGs
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 11:53:10 am by Microcline »

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 03:51:29 pm »

It was a little frustrating after spending years on FFXI, but there you go.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 06:08:36 pm »

My fav was definitely 9.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 06:09:21 pm »

8 was the only good one because it wasn't a kiddy game hidden inside an RPG, it was a good storyline and relatively mature for FF standards. Excepting FFT, which was simply the best FF game ever made [sorry to anyone else] because not only was it's plotline VERY good, the combat was fun, and character advancement was an enjoyable part of the entire setup and guess what; I wanted to play it again after winning. FF10 made me want to claw my eyes out [I distinctly remember wanting to kick my TV on the Haymaker bossfight. You know what I mean if you played it.], 9 was awful, 7 was too kawaii ohmygoshsephirothissostrong.jpg dullness [Except Barret, only good part of the game IMO], 6 was alright, 1-5 are pretty much the same thing excepting some of the features in 5.

All in all, I have to say that FF8 and FFT were and always will be the best of FF games, especially once they got to 10-2 and said, fuck creativity, we're gonna milk the franchise.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 07:27:33 pm »

Favorites: FF6, FF9 and FF10Blitzball

Didn't much take to 7 or 12. 8 and 10 were decent enough.  Though, I'm afraid I can't finish any new FF game now... or maybe I'm just not taking to the new battle system in 13...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 07:28:42 pm »

Blitzball was the worst horrendous thing I ever had ot play in Final Fantasy series. Begone >:C
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 07:46:49 pm »

Blitzball was the worst horrendous thing I ever had ot play in Final Fantasy series. Begone >:C

Name one fictional sport done better!

Other then Ostritch Joust.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2012, 08:35:11 pm »

Standalone game, Just Blitzball. Made in full dimension movement and play using the WHOLE Sphere... I would pay money to play that, I would buy an Xbox/PS3 just to play that...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2012, 08:56:30 pm »

Standalone game, Just Blitzball. Made in full dimension movement and play using the WHOLE Sphere... I would pay money to play that, I would buy an Xbox/PS3 just to play that...
I'd buy it.

EDIT: ...  I should pick up X-2 again...  I do not remember blitzball being in it...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 09:01:01 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2012, 09:01:50 pm »

Blitzball had some questionable AI, and was a bit short on the explanation front (Why, exactly did they develop a sport that required giant spheres of levitating water in the middle of a large stadium? Or did they just have these spheres of water laying around and couldn't come up with anything better to do with them?) However, I had a ton of fun with it. I was actually pissed in 10-2 that they put the whole game in there but you couldn't control it anymore. My only complaint is that after a dozen games or so it was just plain hard to lose.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2012, 09:09:21 pm »

I'd buy it.

EDIT: ...  I should pick up X-2 again...  I do not remember blitzball being in it...
Playing Touhou soccer is probably the closest thing to Blitzball I can get these days without having to replay FFX.

I liked FFXII. It was quite atmospheric, gave you backstory and info about all kinds of creatures and folklore of the series as you play through, the music was pretty nice, and the voice acting wasn't half-bad either. Personally, I liked working on tasks given by the bounty boards. Had fun taking on Gilgamesh, and trying to win against him wile taking the Genji Armor set off him and Enkidu (only time you can get it, according to the guide).

I've beaten the game already, but never completed the bounty board. Still had Hell Wyrm and Yiazmat to take down leftover, and maybe another small bundle of bounties. Just as well, I don't know if I ever had a chance to reserve a few hours to take them on anyway. Sorry Montblanc, couldn't take that legend down for ya.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 09:14:58 pm by Itnetlolor »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2012, 09:16:03 pm »

Touhou soccer
What the... *googles*

What is this majesty? Is this some kind of touhou equivalent to the megaman soccer games?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 [2] 3