Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 3089 Kickstart.  (Read 7144 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3089, the sequel to 3079, is about to have a kickstart launched!
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 02:22:00 pm »

Hoping the world will be a bit more..coherent. Everything always feels so disjointed in 3079, like none of it was meant to be in the same game.

That's a fair and somewhat accurate description of my feelings about 3079, but I would also add that it somehow still ended up being fun.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

phr00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 03:23:06 pm »

Hoping the world will be a bit more..coherent. Everything always feels so disjointed in 3079, like none of it was meant to be in the same game.

That's a fair and somewhat accurate description of my feelings about 3079, but I would also add that it somehow still ended up being fun.

I will be honest: I was trying to make 3079 have every feature everybody wanted (building, multiplayer, vehicles etc. etc.). In the end, 3079 had tons of features, but I was spread too thin to make them all smoothly "mesh" together. I do think all those features ended up being fun regardless, like hemmingjay says.

However, in 3089, I'm planning on focusing more on individual features before expanding the scope of the game. I'm planning on starting with a strong base of combat (melee, stealth & ranged), AI, quests, item & terrain generation. Then, I will work on adding (procedurally generated) vehicles & buildings. One thing I learned in 3079 was that multiplayer and construction was very time consuming and I took those features on too early in 3079's development. The bottom line is, I want 3089 to have a more focused, complete and polished set of features compared to 3079.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 03:27:58 pm »

The best part is, Phr00t already has a wealth of experience making games so we know he's good for his word. The kickstart's modical sum is a show of this. I'd say he's one of the "good few" kickstart users who use it as a means to generate public knowledge of a product AND come through with it. Just my two cents.
Poysky Productions

phr00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 03:31:52 pm »

I've got to ask- the world of 3079 scales in difficulty with distance from the start. Just how far away from it have people gone?

Not sure :P Some guy exploited a (now fixed) bug and got 100s of levels away. I'm as curious as you to know how far people have made it!

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 03:37:06 pm »

I would definitely agree that 3079 felt very disjointed, but the more I started to play it the more it grew on me. It was just part of what made both the game and the world itself unique and fun to explore, despite how jarring it would initially be.

I don't know if I'll be backing the kickstarter due to money issues, though I definitely hope to see the game made. 3079 was a short yet fun experience with interesting gameplay and I really would like to see what phr00t makes of a new project.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 04:36:56 pm »

Well, obviously I'd find it interesting---so we shall see how this turns out, though I'm still behind on the purchasing backlog as far as Gentrieve 2 goes so 3089 will be on the heap as well....

Still aiming to rock it from jMonkey Engine phr00t?  Guessing with it being a sequel it is still essentially sci-fi/fantasy mixed in terms of theme?

Here's hoping for a focused lot of it to get it all across better---core single player and some Roguelike sensibilities in the mix I'd hope.

phr00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 08:24:55 pm »

Still aiming to rock it from jMonkey Engine phr00t?  Guessing with it being a sequel it is still essentially sci-fi/fantasy mixed in terms of theme?

Yup, still rockin' jMonkeyEngine. I get to re-use lots of code from Gentrieve 2 that way, and it is still the only free 3D Java engine I'd use.

It will still be a sci-fi/fantasy game -- my favorite genre :)

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Poysky Productions

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3089 Kickstart.
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 03:19:08 pm »

I am in as a backer. Can't wait to see how this one turns out!
Only a simple mind can be certain.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 03:20:32 pm »

Ah, I'm supporting the project, but I do think it would probably have been better to wait until you had more to show for the ordinary kickstarter crowd. Then again, at only $1000, it's probably not a problem.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 03:23:27 pm »

I think he just wants to prove he can do it without getting people to pay up front, more of a publicity en-masse thing than actual funding, which is REALLY nice for a change. I think he really deserves it just for having the guts to do things RIGHT and not use kickstart as a tool to generate money quickly.
Poysky Productions

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 03:24:37 pm »

Ah, I'm supporting the project, but I do think it would probably have been better to wait until you had more to show for the ordinary kickstarter crowd. Then again, at only $1000, it's probably not a problem.

Agreed, and well... agreed. 1000$ is so little that you will probably make it.

Alex - Kickstarter IS a tool to generate money.

phr00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 03:29:58 pm »

Thanks for the support guys :)

I set it only to $1000 because I'm making this game, dammit!  :P If I only get that much, I'll put that into improving the game wherever possible. However, I'm really hoping to get more, so I can get more help.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 03:35:46 pm »

Well, if you have waited a month or two and had more to show, you could raise more i think. i know kickstarter supposed to be a.. well, kickstarter for projects, but most backers want to see something more solid before putting out money.

phr00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 03:50:19 pm »

Well, if you have waited a month or two and had more to show, you could raise more i think. i know kickstarter supposed to be a.. well, kickstarter for projects, but most backers want to see something more solid before putting out money.

The thing is... I'm working on core parts of the engine. If I know I have lots of support earlier on, I can "widen" the core engine to support lots of things I know I will have help on later. If I don't get as much support, I'll have to start on content sooner.

I believe showing the world 3079 & Gentrieve 2 proves I can make a decent game. Just because there isn't enough flashy 3089 stuff yet doesn't mean a good game won't be coming. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3