Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17

Author Topic: Soldier toughening: Item Drop Training  (Read 78384 times)

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier toughening: Item Drop Training
« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2012, 05:58:40 pm »

Interesting device.  I just completed one that has two 2x1 retracting bridges in a 2x2 room.  Dumped 500 nickels in it and tested it on a squad.   :o

Impressive results in terms of Armor Use and physical stat improvements as well.  Combine this with using a Danger Room and a squad could be run up to Killer Dwarf in a very short period of time. 

A "civilian path" version would probably prove useful as well - keeps your reservists working up and with Armor User and stats increasing they will probably start moving faster as well.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 07, 2012, 09:47:38 pm »

A bit more testing found that coin stacks of size 1-15 produce the "but the attack is deflected by" message only when hitting clothing/armor, and "but the attack passes right through!" only when hitting bare skin/etc. directly. Both modes will train armor user and dodger, and both appear to be harmless.

Ralvuimego

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 08, 2012, 01:40:16 pm »

I've been thinking about using this for my fortress... But instead of coins I'm going to use boulders. And instead of using it to train my dwarves I'm going to use it in my trap hallway.

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 08, 2012, 05:19:12 pm »

Isn't there still a chance of a dwarf getting seriously injured by skidding, or is a leather cloak enough to prevent that?

I had temporarily equipped my military with cloaks in addition to armor while bombarding them with seeds, and eventually got "Urist McUberdorf has become attached to a XIbex leather cloakX!" followed almost immediately by him naming it, making it an artifact. That sounds good on its face, but since it was heavily worn already it would remain so forever. You could use this to make wear-proof clothing as long as you only put dwarves wearing new clothes in the pit.

My Wave Cannon save has two of these cloaks listed in the artifacts list.

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 08, 2012, 06:04:20 pm »

Isn't there still a chance of a dwarf getting seriously injured by skidding, or is a leather cloak enough to prevent that?

I had temporarily equipped my military with cloaks in addition to armor while bombarding them with seeds, and eventually got "Urist McUberdorf has become attached to a XIbex leather cloakX!" followed almost immediately by him naming it, making it an artifact. That sounds good on its face, but since it was heavily worn already it would remain so forever. You could use this to make wear-proof clothing as long as you only put dwarves wearing new clothes in the pit.

My Wave Cannon save has two of these cloaks listed in the artifacts list.

I've probably had dwarves go through this training for several hundred lever pulls, and none have gotten injured in a skidding accident.  None of them have even skidded at all, that I've seen.  I did, however, have a cat get injured (and die, for that matter) in a skidding accident.  I'm not sure exactly what the difference is, but would assume it has to do with size.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 08, 2012, 06:26:32 pm »

I had temporarily equipped my military with cloaks in addition to armor while bombarding them with seeds, and eventually got "Urist McUberdorf has become attached to a XIbex leather cloakX!" followed almost immediately by him naming it, making it an artifact. That sounds good on its face, but since it was heavily worn already it would remain so forever.
Is that really the case?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 08, 2012, 06:53:32 pm »

Yep. Like I said, you can find them in the artifacts list in this save. I got this many dwarf-years before the save. The ibex leather one had said "this object is heavily worn" and still does. There's several more named pieces of armor induced by the training. Check that, just shields, not other armor pieces.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 07:02:39 pm by QuantumMenace »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 08, 2012, 07:15:38 pm »

I got this many dwarf-years before the save.
Interesting feature. Finally, a reason to make adamantine clothing?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 09, 2012, 12:56:09 am »

We know the items are added to the artifacts list. The real unanswered question is: do they acquire artifact properties (such as wear immunity) without actually being artifact-quality items?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 09, 2012, 07:21:56 am »

We know the items are added to the artifacts list. The real unanswered question is: do they acquire artifact properties (such as wear immunity) without actually being artifact-quality items?
That would probably be easy to test without having to make sure that somebody is wearing the pseudo-artifact Xibex leatherX for several years. First, find a genuine artifact piece of clothing or armour. Then, put it on a stockpile, forbid it, and make that stockpile a refuse one. If the artifact doesn't start to wear at the same rate regular clothing or armour does, repeat the process with a pseudo-artifact and see if it starts to wear.

This xind of wear happens pretty quickly. Goblin clothing stored on a combined clothing/refuse stockpile is mostly gone in a season.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 09, 2012, 08:40:38 pm »

On the idea of leaf bombing, I think that there would be an excellent, easily producible, and disposable alternative.

Plump helmets.

.One or two 10x10 farms would keep you in plump helmets forever. When they start to stink, you could dispose of them. This would be the best option for the original design, less so for Quantum Menace's design.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 10, 2012, 03:26:39 am »

Much too heavy: if seeds cause injuries, the actual shroom will be worse.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 14, 2012, 12:29:28 am »

also, i'm pretty sure plants never stink anyways.

but yeah, i'd stick with the coin idea.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 04, 2013, 04:40:22 pm »

I made a wiki addition for this!
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Danger_room#The_Coinstar_Method
Please edit it if you think it could be done better.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 05, 2013, 02:01:36 am »

I'd go with describing how to use it with coins on the wiki, then continue to

"a less-micro-managerial method is to use seeds, which do not require being split up first."

However, don't seed stacks also need splitting up, or else they risk causing severe injury?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17