Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: Soldier toughening: Item Drop Training  (Read 78391 times)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier toughening: Item Drop Training
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2012, 10:59:26 pm »

I'm sort of wondering what would happen if you take lightweight items that normally cause no injury and drop them from distances of 20+, 3ven 30Z+ levels. Assuming the items gain speed, we might be able to kill goblins with seeds.

Or, we could build a shaft from the surface straight to candyland and set up a nice spike trap there, see how many clowns die from sudden supersonic impalement.

heh, that might be entertaining. breach the circus, then start pitting thousands of stone mugs down the spire... of course, you'd probably need a lot of blind people to keep that up. but there would be something satisfying about killing the clowns with a rain of mugs. or maybe socks. death by laundry :)

You wouldn't be the first.

mscantrell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2012, 08:48:31 am »

Seeds it is, then :(

MSCantrell cancels Work:  Interrupted by Bay12 forums.

scout890

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm finding it hard to care about anything anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2012, 09:27:57 am »

Maybe it'll work if he wears armor
nothing

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2012, 12:07:20 am »

I don't understand the double bridge toss pit. Could anyone be nice enough to draw it?
It's a small 1x2 retracting bridge placed in 1x2 room.  Whenever the bridge is opened or shut, a number of items are flung.  Actually I think ALL the items are flung, but the only ones that fly are the ones flung in the direction of the other half of the bridge.  When the lever controlling the bridge is set to repeat, items will be tossed back and forth in the 2x1 room and any dwarves in there will be repeatedly plinked or pummeled (depending on armor and item weight) making this a quick way to cause a bunch of "Armor Hits" which will boost the Armor User skill, but also all of the attributes you find desirable for a military dwarf.  Makes them Strong, Agile, Tough, Tireless, Coordinated, and resistant to Pain.  Getting meaningful stat-boosts in these areas requires thousands of strikes, and the bridge method lets you automate the process (or at least removes the need to manually reload, since the items remain in "flinging" position.)

You can either dig the room into the floor with entry/exit via ramps (which retracting bridges do not interfere with), or have it surrounded by conventional walls and entry controlled by a door.  The door method can be problematic if 20+ items get tossed into it while it's open, jamming it and forcing you to re-dump them into the bridge zone.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2012, 12:13:58 am »

Seeds it is, then :(

Don't feel too bad though, painful injuries are good for boosting Willpower, and they also seem to improve the weapon and fighting skills, whereas plinking off of armor affects Armor User alone.

Besides, blunt trauma to the extremeties rarely results in nerve-damage, so you can expect your dwarf to make a complete recovery!
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2012, 12:51:41 am »

See http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=112831.msg3536975#msg3536975 for an explanation of the velocities common to minecarts and projectiles in the new system.

Velocities of falling, found in arena by stepping ahead single ticks of time while checking using dfhack lua code:
Code: [Select]
time pos vel zlevel
0 0 0 0
1 0 -4900 0
2 -4900 -9800 0
3 -14700 -14700 0
4 -29400 -19600 0
5 -49000 -24500 0
6 -73500 -29400 0
7 47100 -34300 -1
8 12800 -39200 -1
9 -26400 -44100 -1
10 -70500 -49000 -1
11 30500 -53900 -2 (fell 1z and hit floor at the start of this tick)
12 -23400 -58800 -2
13 67800 -63700 -3 (fell 2z and hit floor at the start of this tick)
14 4100 -68600 -3
15 -64500 -73500 -3
16 12000 -78400 -4 (fell 3z and hit floor at the start of this tick)
17 -66400 -83300 -4
18 300 -88200 -5 (fell 4z and hit floor at the start of this tick)
19 62100 -93100 -6 (fell 5z and hit floor at the start of this tick)
20 -31000 -98000 -6
21 21000 -102900 -7 (fell 6z and hit floor at the start of this tick)
22 68100 -107800 -8 (fell 7z and hit floor at the start of this tick)
23 -39700 -112700 -8
24 0 1000 -8 (fell 8z and hit floor at the start of this tick)

Each tile is 2mx2mx3m LxWxH, and that translates to position dimensions of +/- 75000 height and +/- 50000 width. So 150000 tall and 100000 wide and long.

So presumably objects just keep falling faster until they reach the 270000 velocity cap. This should happen after falling 50 z-levels in 56 ticks. A dwarf takes a step every 10-11 ticks.

mscantrell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2012, 07:24:39 am »

Dag nabbit, dwarf. Why would you take off your metal armor in the hurricane-simulation room? Now your foot's broken.

MSCantrell cancels Work:  Interrupted by Bay12 forums.

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2012, 11:15:51 am »

Wait, I joined this topic late.

Are you literally pitting lots of debris down a chute so it lands on armoured dwarfs to train them?

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2012, 11:23:44 am »

Yes.
But QuantumMenace's design looks more like a trampoline than a garbage chute.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2012, 11:35:06 am »

I don't follow Quantum's method... I need a diagram/how to.

I've used danger rooms in the past and have a special equipment order which gives me Legendary Weapon/Armour/Sheild/Dodging though I've never looked at the physical stats. Be interesting to see if I can somehow combine them to get Super stats and Legendary skills.

I know it's exploiting, but sometimes for sake of roleplay, I make one/two super dwarfs that the colony idolise as their heroes.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2012, 11:53:20 am »

Let's see if I understood it:
I don't know how to draw it in ASCII tileset (because I don't use it) so there: L for lever, F for Floor, W for Wall, D for Door, B for Bridge, H for Hole.
Code: [Select]
State 1, Z-level 1:
LFFW
WWDW
WBBW
WWWW

State 1, Z-level 2:
WWFW
WWDW
WHHW
WWWW

State 2, Z-level 1:
LFFW
WWDW
WFFW
WWWW

Urist McHauler drops items through the holes in Z-level 2.
When enough items are in Z-level 1, Urist McSoldier is set to stand on the bridge in Z-level 1. Use burrows.
When everything is set, Urist McLever pulls (repeat). Dwarf and items "fall" from the bridge to the floor. During this fall the Dwarf isn't harmed (less than 1 Z-level fall), but the items touch Urist McSoldier.
The bridge resets without atom-smashing, because it is retractable and not raising.

Is that it?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2012, 12:09:44 pm »

That sounds incredibly easy :P.

You can replace seeds with heavy/sharp objects and Dwarf with badguys to make a blender/pulveriser too? If so, I'm totally making huge ones of these and dumping lots of bad guys in it.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2012, 12:12:35 pm »

That sounds incredibly easy :P.

You can replace seeds with heavy/sharp objects and Dwarf with badguys to make a blender/pulveriser too? If so, I'm totally making huge ones of these and dumping lots of bad guys in it.
Yes, you could. I think someone's managed to drop a statue or two on HFS dweller and concussed them to death, at that. Might've been weak demons but those things HURTS!

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2012, 12:24:48 pm »

Looks like my design isn't exactly correct. Test subject 1 died because he hit the wall too many times, test subject 2 has seen no increase to his skills. is a child.
Also, the seeds were dropped from lvl 2 to lvl 1, but haulers kept hauling them back to lvl 2 and dropping them. Even if I forbade it.

RtDs!

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier toughening: Garbage Chute Training
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2012, 08:46:28 pm »

AH HA! Quantum stockpile all your refuse/seeds/etc on a bridge over a series of bridges leading vertically downwards. Stand a dwarf on the one unerneath the top, open the top bridge. Move your dwarf down a level, open the next bridge. Repeat all the way down, then have a chain of minecarts to stockpile it back at the top.
Whatever method you use to load the stockpile, it's many drops for the price of one.
Seeds get placed in bags before being loaded into minecarts.
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17