Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: Soldier toughening: Item Drop Training  (Read 78358 times)

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier toughening: Item Drop Training
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2012, 09:15:54 pm »

Hey thanks for the idea!  I built one 4x4 so I could put whole squads in without them standing on each other.  Worked great.  Legendary armor users in a week.

Plus really good at generating minor injuries in civilians for med practice.  My fort is full of dwarfs missing eyes and noses and ears now.  Give's it character. :)

At first I thought it was a little broken, because one of my axelords never leveled up.  After month or so, someone found his body in the caverns where he had wandered off to die.  Boy, that was confusing.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2012, 01:42:50 am »

Since this doesn't require scheduled/ordered training, would this technique, dropping seeds, work on a pack of war dogs?
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2012, 02:09:58 am »

My machine invariably killed the dogs after a few cycles.  And there's no way to treat the injured ones.  I had 3000 seeds in it.  Maybe with less?

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2012, 04:48:09 am »

Well you need full protection from armour to avoid losing important pieces. Last I checked, dog's can't wear armour :P

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2012, 02:03:19 am »

what would be the point in using it on war dogs? they have no armor user skill to improve, and therefore no associated stats to improve...

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2012, 11:27:39 am »

I just had a baby survive 20 cycles or so in a 1000 seed popcorn popper.  Didn't seem to gain any exp or stats.  I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2012, 11:41:22 am »

Well that's certainly more success than Danger rooms.

Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Mdort Goblinsmiter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • JDS on YouTube!
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2012, 04:37:55 pm »

I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.

If any quote described DF's core principles...
Check out my Dwarf Fortress tutorial series on Youtube.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2012, 10:40:03 pm »

I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.

If any quote described DF's core principles...

to be fair, i for one (and i suspect many others on the forums) would be at least equally happy if i could start getting any meaningful benefit at all from them at a young age. military is just one option out of many :)

i'm pretty sure the focus on military training is largely due to the fact that it is at least *somewhat* possible. sort of. a bit.

if there was some way to put them to work in some other useful field (like churning out a nigh-endless supply of green glass sawblades or getting them to an impressive level of skill in mechanics) i imagine people would be pursuing those options as well.

as it stands, the only kind of useful training that is even really theoretically possible is military stuff (dodge, maybe wrestling, striking, etc). well, that and getting a mood in what is highly likely to be a completely useless skill.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2012, 03:21:48 pm »

So... you want babies churning out razor-sharp sawblades? Theres an idea that the bay12 community can get behind!
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2012, 07:43:45 pm »

Do we know if the height the items are dropped from affects skill gain?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2012, 09:07:24 pm »

Skill gain is per-hit, regardless of how strong the hit is. This is why you want to rapidly bombard them with tiny soft objects.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2012, 03:21:47 am »

So... you want babies churning out razor-sharp sawblades? Theres an idea that the bay12 community can get behind!

no, of course not. don't be silly.

i want *children* churning out razor-sharp sawblades (i would also settle for churning out clay pots, provided magma is involved... basically, something where they can build a potentially useful skill that doesn't require using up useful resources. i guess encrusting things with glass gems or lead or something like that could also work? maybe start up a child-powered clothing industry with the children handling the dye process?).

babies are attached to their mother anyways, so any work the baby did would essentially be replacing work the mother is doing.

(although i just had an odd random thought... in the event that a dwarf gets a fell mood, and is a mother with a baby... will the mother slaughter her baby, it being the closest dwarf?)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2012, 05:42:39 am »

no, of course not. don't be silly.

i want *children* churning out razor-sharp sawblades (i would also settle for churning out clay pots, provided magma is involved... basically, something where they can build a potentially useful skill that doesn't require using up useful resources. i guess encrusting things with glass gems or lead or something like that could also work? maybe start up a child-powered clothing industry with the children handling the dye process?).

babies are attached to their mother anyways, so any work the baby did would essentially be replacing work the mother is doing.

(although i just had an odd random thought... in the event that a dwarf gets a fell mood, and is a mother with a baby... will the mother slaughter her baby, it being the closest dwarf?)

There was a post about it recently, mother turned her baby into a pick! So yes, it happens, though improbable because babies are usually mostly dead from tamtrums or accidents.

djsmiley2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Milk Me
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2012, 04:00:41 am »

Skill gain is per-hit, regardless of how strong the hit is. This is why you want to rapidly bombard them with tiny soft objects.

SENT HIM TO THE CAT PELTER!
This is Dwarf Fortress, everything has a fetish for socks.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17