Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17

Author Topic: Soldier toughening: Item Drop Training  (Read 78361 times)

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier toughening: Item Drop Training
« Reply #165 on: December 06, 2012, 02:38:29 am »

This is fantastic.  I love the popcorn popper imagery.  This has more potential to train children than any other system I've seen.
At last, she is done.

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 06, 2012, 06:44:15 am »

So its basically this

whit this?

Love it. Dwarfen ballroom can be added to the growing list of features of the dwarfen daycare center. We already got a petting zoo and swimming pools. What is next?

Anyway, I wonder if there is a way to make this work for an adventurer visiting your fortress? Make a fortress for your adventurer, complete with gyms!
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

Maulkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 06, 2012, 09:37:18 am »

Personaly i dont consider this an exploit, i just consider this an excellent show of dwarven inginuity.

You toss a dwarf around and pelt him with coins (or refuse)! Love it!

The death and mutilation that has lead to these discoveries is very dwarfy i feel!

!!Science!! - gotta love it!

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 06, 2012, 11:10:31 am »

Ok I still don't get how to build one of these, even when looking at
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How the hell did the dwarves get on the bridge? Are they meant to be up top of the bridge or below it? Is it a retracting bridge? How do the coins fall but then land on the bridge again?

I want to say it's as simple as:

Code: [Select]
S = statue
D = Door
B = Bridge with ramp below it
W = wall/rock

WSW
WDW
WBBW
WWWW

But what about the floor below?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 11:14:43 am by Dwarfotaur »

mscantrell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 06, 2012, 11:56:12 am »

No, no, the bridge IS on the floor- it's like it's sliding in and out of the wall, hitting the dwarf with a footsweep each time.
MSCantrell cancels Work:  Interrupted by Bay12 forums.

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 06, 2012, 12:04:32 pm »

No, no, the bridge IS on the floor- it's like it's sliding in and out of the wall, hitting the dwarf with a footsweep each time.

Ohhh. I forgot you can build bridges over the floor. Well that means it must be a retracting bridge other wise you'd atom smash them :P I shall try this tonight to see some major fails.

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 06, 2012, 02:07:04 pm »

Ok I still don't get how to build one of these, even when looking at

How the hell did the dwarves get on the bridge? Are they meant to be up top of the bridge or below it? Is it a retracting bridge? How do the coins fall but then land on the bridge again?

I want to say it's as simple as:

Code: [Select]
S = statue
D = Door
B = Bridge with ramp below it
W = wall/rock

WSW
WDW
WBBW
WWWW

But what about the floor below?

It's a channeled out 2X1 square area, with a retracting bridge in the bottom.  It's dumped full of single, destacked coins.  The retracting bridge is then hooked to a repeater.

The door and statue were added to try to lure idle dwarves in for pelting.  This turned out to result in a lot of idle dwarves, rapidly leading to someone dropping an xpig tail capx, which promptly injured the fort's top weaponsmith.  So it's dangerous to have a lot of dwarves idling in the coinstar.  Instead of setting the coinstar itself as a statue garden, it seems a little more effective to force the dwarves to travel through the coinstar to get somewhere else.  This results in less crowding, and a lower chance of hazardous littering in the coinstar.

If you just want to train your military, you don't need to particularly lure the dwarves in.  Just send them there with a station command.  All you need is the coins, retracting bridge, and either a repeater or a simple lever.

Note that in each square, only one dwarf will be hit by the coins.  If you cram a full squad of 10 axedwarves in here at a time, only 2 of them will benefit from the training, while they shield their comrades from the coins.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 06, 2012, 02:55:32 pm »

Seems like a slightly larger room, and more seeds or coins to offset the size of the room could increase the training rate, giving dwarves more room to stand... At the risk of being bashed into a wall or each other... Probably been brought up before, but if it increases the number of training dwarves, why not make it a bit bigger?

I did try a 4x4 room with 2 bridges and a hundred or so pig tail seeds. Worked well enough for the fledgling military I had at the time. Had a few injuries, mostly bruises, but a few broken toes. One dwarf decided leather was good enough.

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 06, 2012, 05:33:46 pm »

Seems like a slightly larger room, and more seeds or coins to offset the size of the room could increase the training rate, giving dwarves more room to stand... At the risk of being bashed into a wall or each other... Probably been brought up before, but if it increases the number of training dwarves, why not make it a bit bigger?

I did try a 4x4 room with 2 bridges and a hundred or so pig tail seeds. Worked well enough for the fledgling military I had at the time. Had a few injuries, mostly bruises, but a few broken toes. One dwarf decided leather was good enough.

You'll want to scale up the number of items along with the number of squares in order to maintain effectiveness.  Also, I highly recommend switching from seeds to coins.  Coins are almost completely safe.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 06, 2012, 05:59:30 pm »

You'll want to scale up the number of items along with the number of squares in order to maintain effectiveness.  Also, I highly recommend switching from seeds to coins.  Coins are almost completely safe.

I'm working on trading enough single coins back to myself to make the room work efficiently now. Only the first year, and the merchants made off with quite a few coins... But I have more than enough metal present to make this work. Just need to get a repeater going, and I'll be set. Don't have a spare dwarf to pull a lever for eternity, so I guess I might as well learn the mine cart way.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 06, 2012, 06:15:11 pm »

...almost completely safe.
Famous last words!
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 06, 2012, 06:16:34 pm »

I'm working on trading enough single coins back to myself to make the room work efficiently now. Only the first year, and the merchants made off with quite a few coins... But I have more than enough metal present to make this work. Just need to get a repeater going, and I'll be set. Don't have a spare dwarf to pull a lever for eternity, so I guess I might as well learn the mine cart way.

You should be able to break down a bunch of stacks of coins with just a couple dozen crafts as bargaining power.  The technique I use is to bring several stacks, say, 4.  Then I use a macro to offer 100 of each stack.  Use cntrl-u to do that to all of the stacks.  Trade that for some stuff that looks appealing.  Now trade 100 of each of my stacks for 100 of each of the stacks he has, and throw in one craft on top to sweeten the deal.  Repeat 3 more times, which is easy with the macro.

Now, exit the trade screen, queue up all the coins in the trading depot for trading, and reenter the trading scheme.  Repeat as above, but with 20 coins at a time.

Exit the trade screen, requeue all coins for trading, reenter, and repeat with 5 coins at a time.

Do it all again with coins one at a time.

All told, this should take 5 to 10 minutes.  It's kind of a pain, but you only have to do it once.  And it scales well as you do several stacks at once, because you're using a macro and cntrl-u - you can split four stacks just about as easily as you can 10.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 06, 2012, 06:20:31 pm »

Ok, that works better than what I've been doing: one at a time with a macro ><

As to the mine cart repeater: I take it those ramps are N/S ramps, used for boosting the cart. The door is in place to close the loop, linked to a lever, while the other lever controls a roller above the door, on low speed, to give the cart a push at the start... Or is it just another ramp? I think I've seen them before, but I can't find the post for the life of me.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 06:23:09 pm by Lich180 »

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 06, 2012, 09:43:18 pm »

Ok, that works better than what I've been doing: one at a time with a macro ><

As to the mine cart repeater: I take it those ramps are N/S ramps, used for boosting the cart. The door is in place to close the loop, linked to a lever, while the other lever controls a roller above the door, on low speed, to give the cart a push at the start... Or is it just another ramp? I think I've seen them before, but I can't find the post for the life of me.

The lever controls the door on the east side of the room, so I can turn the thing off.

The ramps are n/e and n/w ramps respectively, which, due to a bug in minecart physics, give the cart a push when it passes over them.  This makes the setup self powering, so it doesn't need any rollers.

The minecart is pushed in from the track stop just outside of the repeater room, skips over a bit of missing track, and then zooms around the course indefinitely.  I think it triggers every 150-200 ticks or so, I'm not sure the exact timing.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 06, 2012, 10:25:25 pm »

Ah, I see. I've used that NE / NW feature before, thanks for clarifying how the cart gets started. A little reconstruction and designations, and I'll be good. Probably post my results, help expand the base of knowledge a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17