Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: Soldier toughening: Item Drop Training  (Read 77257 times)

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier toughening: Item Drop Training
« Reply #210 on: January 10, 2013, 07:22:57 pm »

Has anyone tried using a rail shotgun with minecarts full of coins?

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 10, 2013, 09:06:16 pm »

whatever for? at best, you'll end up with a very slow version of the same thing that requires massive amounts of dwarf labour.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 10, 2013, 09:07:20 pm »

whatever for? at best, you'll end up with a very slow version of the same thing that requires massive amounts of dwarf labour.

Or faster goblins since you've just given them a mass of Armor User training!   :P
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 11, 2013, 12:13:00 am »

Or faster goblins since you've just given them a mass of Armor User training!   :P
no, no, no, not for the goblins! geese! for training dwarves.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 11, 2013, 03:06:54 am »

I have to say the coinstar works like a dream.  I have 5 of them set up attached to a simple water repeater and with 500 coins each they churn out quite acceptable levels of armor users.  Much better and safer than using necromancers to train with.

I have noticed that it does cause people to be attached to their current clothing, someone's child decided to play in the training area and promptly became attached to at least half of the clothes worn before they were tossed into the volcano. 
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 11, 2013, 03:17:01 am »

someone's child decided to play in the training area and promptly became attached to at least half of the clothes worn before they were tossed into the volcano.
Was it the Child or the Clothes that was tossed into the Volcano?
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 11, 2013, 04:18:06 am »

I have noticed that it does cause people to be attached to their current clothing, someone's child decided to play in the training area and promptly became attached to at least half of the clothes worn before they were tossed into the volcano.
Also, has the question been answered as to whether clothing will wear once it's been named? This could seriously affect the viability of creating adamantine cloaks. I'd personally use the Coinstar room to bond my soldiers with masterwork adamantine robes and cloaks for added coverage of otherwise unarmored body areas if I knew it wouldn't wear out in a few years.

Bates

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 11, 2013, 05:15:35 am »

Also, has the question been answered as to whether clothing will wear once it's been named? This could seriously affect the viability of creating adamantine cloaks. I'd personally use the Coinstar room to bond my soldiers with masterwork adamantine robes and cloaks for added coverage of otherwise unarmored body areas if I knew it wouldn't wear out in a few years.

These are two seperate things. Dwarves can get attached to ordinary clothes or weapons, which can be quite annoying, if your best speardwarf gets attached to a training spear and only uses it in battle.

Naming of equipment on the other hand is quite uncommon.
When a dwarf names a piece of equipment, that equipment basically becomes a semi artifact and that's when it stops wearing out.

So making candy clothes is still not viable, as they still degrade even is dwarves get attached to them.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 11, 2013, 10:05:14 am »

These are two seperate things. Dwarves can get attached to ordinary clothes or weapons, which can be quite annoying, if your best speardwarf gets attached to a training spear and only uses it in battle.

Naming of equipment on the other hand is quite uncommon.
When a dwarf names a piece of equipment, that equipment basically becomes a semi artifact and that's when it stops wearing out.

So making candy clothes is still not viable, as they still degrade even is dwarves get attached to them.
things get named by killing enemies, then building a coinstar that uses adamantine cloaks instead of coins and zombies instead of dwarves, add line of sight to a trapped necromancer.

by starting the washmachine the zombies will eventually get killed by the addy cloak, making it score a kill, then the necro revives the corpse and the devices self resets.

addy cloak gets named and becomes unable to wear down or rot.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 10:07:16 am by Kaos »

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 11, 2013, 02:47:50 pm »

geese! for training dwarves.
I have absolutely no idea where you're going with this, but I like it!
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 11, 2013, 05:48:51 pm »

geese! for training dwarves.
I have absolutely no idea where you're going with this, but I like it!
Just for the sake of clarity (and to stop further trolling) what I meant was making a rail shotgun fire coins at dwarves for toughening them up, since previous comments mentioned danger when dropping them, so if the vertical approach (dropping) fails why not try the horizontal (shooting) approach?

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 11, 2013, 05:56:22 pm »

Ok so I just read the wiki on this, and don't want to wade through all fifteen pages of this thread, but I have a question:

is there a reason it's only 1x2 room?
is it worth creating a larger room in a hallway for training anyone who walks through?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 11, 2013, 06:00:13 pm »

Its been awhile since I indulged in DF, (too damn busy. :( ) but I used to get named equipment frequently. Never named clothing though, other than shields, which have the bash attack.

One might be able to mod in a "flourish" attack with a razorwire adamantine cloak though, given the recent improvements in item reactions. Just don't make it OP. (Basically, imagine a fancy dance move type attack, where the edge of the cloak is used to slice and cut by whirling it, and sweeping it across exposed skin. It would be a "cutting" type attack.) No lightsaber cloaks!

I can't imagine a candyfloss cloak getting enough kinetic energy behind it to be lethal by itself though.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 11, 2013, 06:29:31 pm »

Ok so I just read the wiki on this, and don't want to wade through all fifteen pages of this thread, but I have a question:

is there a reason it's only 1x2 room?
is it worth creating a larger room in a hallway for training anyone who walks through?

The 1x2 room is the most effective for a small amount of items. As the size of the room increases, so to do the number of items inside the Coinstar(TM) need to increase. The 1x2 room also is small enough to build and get ready faster.

I use a 2x3 room, with 1000+ coins, that way I can station my 2-dwarf squads and they will have enough room to both stand in separate squares and be trained at a roughly-equal pace. This only takes half a season to get Legendary Armor User from Dabbling. The small room also reduces the amount of travel a flying dwarf has, and (if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me) minimizes the danger of impacting the wall at terminal velocity, killing a recruit.

The main (and deadly) danger of building this into a commonly-traversed area is that Urist McDumbass will at some point drop a XXPig Tail SockXX in the Coinstar and as the items fly about, the XXPig Tail SockXX will cave in heads and shatter bones like no ones business, killing and maiming indiscriminately as the worn out sock gains more kills than your most salty military dwarf.

This is why I use the mine cart repeater shown earlier in the thread, and use its built-in off switch when a problem arises. It also helps to have your militadwarves replace all their clothing with armor, so they aren't a victim of their own stupidity.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 12, 2013, 01:40:55 am »

hmmm... i dunno, adamantine is so light you may not be able to use adamantine clothing to kill stuff in the item drop room.

of course, the only way to know for sure is to test it.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17