Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17

Author Topic: Soldier toughening: Item Drop Training  (Read 77258 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier toughening: Item Drop Training
« Reply #225 on: January 12, 2013, 03:41:53 am »

So is it worth it ? Can it be automated ? This sounds like it would require quite a lot of supervision/ crazy computing mechanisms.

although minecart shotgun may be worth it...

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 12, 2013, 06:36:58 am »

Thanks Lich180

umn... how do I unstack/split stacks of coins?

Kallin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 12, 2013, 06:46:15 am »

hmmm... i dunno, adamantine is so light you may not be able to use adamantine clothing to kill stuff in the item drop room.

of course, the only way to know for sure is to test it.

I'm pretty sure that if a spool of thread is not only enough to cause serious injury, but also be lethal then a candyfloss cloak will be more than enough.

Also, I'm pondering using this by first burning the fat off of children, throwing them in the Coinstar for defense building, then subjecting them to the Child of Armok treatment for offense.

Now I just need to figure out how to safely melt the fat off their bodies.
I'm on and off. I usually pop up for a few months then head out for a few.

You've got tentacle teeth or ribbon goblins.  Pick your poison.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 12, 2013, 06:57:53 am »

has anyone tried low speed minecart dodging as a danger room?
what stats would that improve, and how dangerous is it?

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 12, 2013, 07:26:58 am »

When Danger Rooming my soldiers they tend to name their weapons and equipment after a while even if they haven't killed anything yet. From my experience they don't name things based on the amount of kills, but on the number of times they use the equipment. I don't remember them getting attached to anything other than weapons or shields though. Research must be done.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 12, 2013, 08:57:31 am »

Thanks Lich180

umn... how do I unstack/split stacks of coins?

I asked the same thing earlier in the thread, and was told the easiest way is through trade.

Get a few dozen crafts (cheap stone stuff works) and your stacks of coins to the depot. Then trade 100 coins for some stuff until you have no coins left. Buy back your coins, exit the trade menu, and (q) over the depot. Reselect your coins for trade, and go back into the trade menu. Now use macros to trade 10 coins from each stack, buy some stuff, buy back coins, exit trade menu, (q) the depot and reselect the coins again. Use another macro to trade single coins from your stacks of 10 until you have 1 coin left from each stack, and buy them all back.

Then just designate a dump zone (i)(g) and dump (d)(b)(d) all the coins into the Coinstar. I like to use the stocks screen to do the dumping, since I can select every coin at once and focus on something else for a bit.

It takes a bit of work to get the coins separate, but you only have to do it once. Just be sure to have set all your stockpiles to NOT accept coins, or your haulers will play hide-the-coin on you.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 12, 2013, 12:07:55 pm »

Will coins/seeds go through a horizontal grate?  If so you could put a grate above the room designated as dump point for your training fodder.  Then a grate below that the trainee stands on.  Then on the level below setup a stockpile that loads into a cart. Create a route to haul fodder and dump onto the top level grate.

That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 12, 2013, 02:44:48 pm »

Will coins/seeds go through a horizontal grate?  If so you could put a grate above the room designated as dump point for your training fodder.  Then a grate below that the trainee stands on.  Then on the level below setup a stockpile that loads into a cart. Create a route to haul fodder and dump onto the top level grate.

Nope. The only things that can go through a floor grate are "sight", water, magma, and pitted animals.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 12, 2013, 03:07:44 pm »

Can minecarts be filled by dropping items from a floor above? Cause that might make it possible to automate the process using levers and floor hatches.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 12, 2013, 05:23:21 pm »

When Danger Rooming my soldiers they tend to name their weapons and equipment after a while even if they haven't killed anything yet. From my experience they don't name things based on the amount of kills, but on the number of times they use the equipment. I don't remember them getting attached to anything other than weapons or shields though. Research must be done.
They name armour too, it just takes longer.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 12, 2013, 06:12:41 pm »

Now I just need to figure out how to safely melt the fat off their bodies.

I'd try some sort of controlled "suicide booth" like magma dousing: on Z+1 have a magma reservoir, and from it a 1x1 chamber with a magma safe floor hatch on the bottom and floodgate separating it from the reservoir.  On Z=0, you have the both: directly under the 1x1 chamber, a 1x1 room with a magma safe grate floor and locking door.  Z-1 or deeper is another reservoir possibly the magma sea, that gets pumped back up to z+1 to refill it.

Subject goes into the Z=0 booth, door is locked.  Floodgate on Z+1 is closed, then hatch is opened dropping one tile of 7/7 magma through the subject and into the reservoir below.  the low duration of the contact SHOULD mean most subjects survive, but if they wear anything that's not magma safe said clothes will be damaged/destroyed, and non fire safe gear might be set on fire, causing undue damage to its wearer.  It might be best to have fully candy/steel clad soldiers (with gear replacing clothing) before attempting to controlled melt them... but if you use useless children, does anyone really care about mortality/crippling rates under 100%?
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 12, 2013, 06:37:44 pm »

Can minecarts be filled by dropping items from a floor above? Cause that might make it possible to automate the process using levers and floor hatches.
I was wondering this too.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 12, 2013, 08:04:47 pm »

You can't build a floor hatch and a bridge on the same tile, so the Coinstar method as is won't work with floor hatches for item removal.

With fat removal, don't minecarts generate magma mist if they skip across the surface of magma? Could this be used to generate a magma mist machine?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 12, 2013, 08:11:58 pm »

You can't build a floor hatch and a bridge on the same tile, so the Coinstar method as is won't work with floor hatches for item removal.

With fat removal, don't minecarts generate magma mist if they skip across the surface of magma? Could this be used to generate a magma mist machine?

i think it would just burn your dwarves to death.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 12, 2013, 09:38:59 pm »

There was some !!science!! done with the dwarven daycare/Spartan project regarding the use of magma mist to burn off body fat. They had a fairly low mortality rate iirc, and I think they used water after the mist to be sure of the safety.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17