Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cullings  (Read 2535 times)

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Re: Cullings
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 10:38:15 pm »

How many puppies to desensitize?
My guess is around 50, in a centralized room.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 10:51:53 pm »

I haven't had tantrum issues since I started lining the main hallway with masterwork gold statues and gold nugget slabs. Also I have started making all bedrooms 5 tiles and including a statue, lever (made with mw metal mechanism), coffer, cabinet and bed.

If a dwarf gets an unhappy thought at work he has a happy thought on the way to the drink stockpile, one from the drink, one on the way to the food stockpile, one from the food, one from the dining room and then one about his/her bedroom.

So as far as culling goes, in my forts it involves adding three red-shirt squads to mirror my actual squads. The red-shirts go in first.

Or, if it really only takes watching 50 deaths to desensitize your dwarves...  Set two burrows. One in a gallery with a central 3X3 non burrow space. 10 levels up set a 3X3 retracting bridge as a second burrow.  Send all of the dwarves you want to keep to the first burrow. Send the dwarves you want to get rid of to the second burrow. Pull the lever and see if you can insta-shock your dwarves into insensitivity.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Exitstrategy

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no exit! Oh, Armok! The !!magma!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 12:19:38 pm »

I found magma! This offers new !!fun!! ways of culling the migrants.
Since when has Dwarf Fortress been about doing things the easy way?

I do believe that it is in part about unnecessarily abusing the opportunities that are presented to you.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 12:27:55 pm »

I don't think you can insta-shock dwarves into insensitivity. I mean, they mnay instantly develope that attribute, but they will also instantly become miserable beyond all repair and promptly go insane.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 12:44:25 pm »

Killing lots of dwarves at once can lead to bad things happening, so it's best to work out a way kill them and not have the death be meaningless. The puppy killing in the dining room is one way, but why waste puppies?

I've found a legendary dining room, with a waterfall, and a masterwork spiketrap works wonders. You have a retracting bridge under Urist when he pulls the lever that only he's been assigned to. This drops him a number of z levels on to the spikes, hopefully causing him to explode in to giblets. What an excellent thing to watch as your eating some yummy *Plump Helmet Pie*! Start with the looser with the least friends and family first. If you were smart and setup your tombs, they'll quickly clean up the mess before ghosts become an issue. After just a few rounds your citizens will be on their way to not caring about anything, not that it will stop them from checking out that lovely waterfall... ohh pretty mist, love the mist.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 12:45:51 pm »

Recreate the crypt from Ico.

A vast open hall with terraced rows of 1x1 rooms. Every season a dwarf is locked into one of the rooms, never to be seen again.

You could probably use it for a dining hall, for that matter.
Pages: 1 [2]