Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37]

Author Topic: M E I N K A M P F : A Tale of Vainglourious Basterds - [GAME OVER: 5/11]  (Read 66262 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

Also also, now I'll never be able to trust my teammates in a bastard game ever again. Meeeh.
This is what moderator guarantees are for.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

I still think there should have been a lone Nazi SK who thinks he's a Vigilante.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile

God dammit, poop, that's awesome flavour.

I didn't follow this game at all, partly because I was busy elsewhere and partly because I was slightly miffed he jumped in stealing Cybrid VI's thunder without checking with the games threshold thread first. But that was then. In retrospective, I wish I had played closer attention or tried to join this game... I didn't know at the time you'd actually try to make a historically accurate WWII game! Man, I wish I knew that then.

Possibly the most prominent such hint was the Kommandant's silenced revolver [...] As it happens to be, the only WWII-era silenced revolver known to exist is the Nagant M1895, a Soviet revolver with an unusual gas-seal system to enable silencing.
As soon as I read this, my first impulse was to reply: "Nuh-uh! You forgot the Welrod!" But that's a pistol, not a revolver, yes? (plus British instead of Russian and clearly a covert weapon, so it wouldn't help the setting)

Where I could, I used real-life spies and double agents as a basis for the characters - for TolyK (Arthur Owens) and Tiruin (Brian Cleeve), for example, I used many of the real-life person's events in your PMs. Nikolai Ivanovich Kuznetsov was a real spy who worked with Nazi stuff, albeit not a double agent. Aleksandr Langfang was a real Lieutenant-General who worked in the NKVD in our setting period.
GODDAMMIT! Yeah, I can see how some people could miss those clues, but... yeah, hindsight 20/20 and whatever.

He correctly surmised that the vial was chloroform, and not perfume: Chloroform is a colourless liquid with a distinctive but weak sweet smell, and in real life,
That was pretty fucking obscure, at least skimming the game post-spoilers, though I see how it's within the realm of possibility for a sufficiently engaged and attentive player to work it out... Kudos to Hapah for figuring it out, but I still think Owens and Kuznetsov were clearer clues. I would have totally missed the chloroform bit.

I don't think you'd be able to survive as a claimed quadruple agent.  It just screams "I AM THE BASTARD SCUM".
I think this was also a major flaw in your intent with this game- there wasn't enough fiddly stuff to figure out the "real" game, nor was doing so necessary to win. All they had to do was figure out that everyone was a spy, notice that Allied spies being "enemies" didn't make much sense, and lynch the odd factors, which was almost exactly what they did do. Changing Soviets to Italians or something wouldn't have hurt anything in this case, but it would have been totally counterproductive to the puzzle element.
They are also right though, I think. The "several pseudo-'scum' teams" thing has been done to death, as in the last Bastard Supernatural, GG's Resurrection++ and a few others. I like puzzles and I like bastards and weird setups, but I hope the next one is not one where the mod is a vote target or "everyone is scum" is the main clue. That gets old.

In short:  Great game. I wish I paid closer attention, I wish you had started a week earlier or two weeks later, and I hope next time you post on the Games Threshold thread before opening up for sign ups. Not doing so makes you look like a douche and shows indifference to others who also may be planning games. But yeah, great game, awesome flavour, and I wish I had played it.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

Well I do have a KWN style setup in the works.  I guess I could use modtext to rule out past bastard tricks.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37]