Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Kael's Travel Stories mini-updates: Have you ever tried acid... While on acid??  (Read 7229 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

God damn, your life should be a movie. The only question now is... Matt Damon or Brad Pitt?

Jackie Chan

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

John Cho (the new Sulu)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile

In another thread descent posted...

Okay, I guess what I'm asking is, if you wanted to join up again, would you have to do all the same things you did when you joined in the first place? Or would it be like "he was here before, give him the robe, make him all holy and stuff again, then shove him in the cell for some meditation. NEXT!"

What -did- you have to do to join, anyway?
Yes, I would have to go through the rituals again. There are 227 rules to cover as a monk. They run the gamut from 'no killing' to 'no eating food after lunch'. One thing to note is that being a monk does not automatically make one holy, rather that is something we must rise to.

To join I had to have an interview with the head Abbot of the monastery. I requested taking on the robes and duties of a monk while pledging to follow the rules of the vinaya. My head was shaved and I was given robes. I gave up all worldly possessions for my robes, a food bowl, and basic necessities. To enter as a monk, I had to memorise 7 pages of chanting in Pali,  the language of the original Buddha, for the ceremony.

I suppose in a later post I will cover monk duties.

If I would have anyone would play me in a movie, it would be Tony Jaa of ongbak fame. Or maybe Stephen Chow from kung fu hustle.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

In another thread descent posted...

Okay, I guess what I'm asking is, if you wanted to join up again, would you have to do all the same things you did when you joined in the first place? Or would it be like "he was here before, give him the robe, make him all holy and stuff again, then shove him in the cell for some meditation. NEXT!"

What -did- you have to do to join, anyway?
Yes, I would have to go through the rituals again. There are 227 rules to cover as a monk. They run the gamut from 'no killing' to 'no eating food after lunch'. One thing to note is that being a monk does not automatically make one holy, rather that is something we must rise to.

To join I had to have an interview with the head Abbot of the monastery. I requested taking on the robes and duties of a monk while pledging to follow the rules of the vinaya. My head was shaved and I was given robes. I gave up all worldly possessions for my robes, a food bowl, and basic necessities. To enter as a monk, I had to memorise 7 pages of chanting in Pali,  the language of the original Buddha, for the ceremony.

I suppose in a later post I will cover monk duties.

If I would have anyone would play me in a movie, it would be Tony Jaa of ongbak fame. Or maybe Stephen Chow from kung fu hustle.
Tony Jaa is a completely horrifyingly badass mofo. You come off as a kinder, more friendly badass mofo.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He did recently spend time as a monk in Thailand too, so maybe he's changed.  :P

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

When I said holy, I meant like... cleansed of the outside world sort of deal.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

He did recently spend time as a monk in Thailand too, so maybe he's changed.  :P
One can only hope that his thirst for face-flip-kicking has waned at least a little before he's unleashed on the public again.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

:)

When I said holy, I meant like... cleansed of the outside world sort of deal.
Part of the mental training involves abstaining from physical pleasures and causing pain, which is why Buddhism is often called the Middle Path. It is my understanding that monks are not cleansed of the outside world, indeed as a monk I had to comfort and work with the public, but rather the recognising that the outside world has no effect on our happiness and sense of self, rather those are concepts within our minds.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

That sounds...difficult. There must be many temptations to stray from the Middle Path.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Kael's Travel Stories mini-updates: what do Buddhist monks do?
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2012, 10:52:35 pm »

I'm always eager for drug stories, so I'll have to request you tell the one about shrooms and acid whenever you get a chance. :P Sounds good.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2012, 11:27:00 pm »

Well there are 2 major ones... The first time I tried shrooms and acid, and Firedrums, which was my weekend of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Only in a forest full of hippie fire performers. They're both pretty amusing so I'll get to them soonish.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2012, 05:59:10 am »

I could see Stephen Chow. Kael has too much of a sense of humor to be a Tony Jaa. :P

re: your experience with the poor girl and her baby in Myanmar....I had the same kind of experience in Shanghai. Saw one too many industrial accident victims and just couldn't take it anymore. Gave 100 yuan to this poor bastard with no arms or legs, and it was like feeding a seagull. Almost immediately there was a horde of other street poor converging on me, begging in broken English. Hell, for all I know one of them stole the bill out of the guy's begging bowl after I turned and walked off.  :-\

Really enjoying reading all this. I considered entering a monastery myself for a while right after college. There was definitely an appeal to blocking out all the distractions of the world, and having that "brotherhood-in-solitude" dynamic going on. And the idea of mundane daily tasks freeing your mind for a greater contemplation of the sacred.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2012, 09:40:06 am »

...in a forest full of [definitely drugged up] hippie fire performers.
No, I can't see any problems arising from that particular scenario.  No sirreee. ;)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2012, 11:08:55 am »

...in a forest full of [definitely drugged up] hippie fire performers.
No, I can't see any problems arising from that particular scenario.  No sirreee. ;)

I've been at festivals like that. The problem arises not from the stoned/tripping hippies with fire, but from the drunk people and people on cocaine.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2012, 06:05:21 pm »

I have yet to go to a festival like that. After I lose some weight, I'll think about it, so I can go shirtless again.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4