Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 2681 times)

Geiun

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Hello!
« on: October 12, 2012, 04:06:43 am »

Hi Guys!

It's good to finally join the forums. I have been a long, long time lurker, so although you don't yet know me, I know many of you.

A question has driven me to finally sign up... and it is a question which I very much suspect no one knows the answer to, not even the great ToadyOne himself. That question is:

When will the next release be out?

You see, I am making plans for a fortress mega project which I expect will take 50 or so years to complete. I am wondering if I should sink the next couple of months into this fortress or if I should hold out for all the glorious changes we have heard about.

So really, what I am asking for is not so much a release date confirmed by Toady, but for a vague guesstimate, from you guys, as to when it *might* come out. If you think your guess is only good to the nearest 3 months, so be it. You see, I have no idea if Dwarf Fortress has, for example, a history of 2 major releases a year. So my best guess at the moment lies somewhere between 1 month and 1 year.

As a secondary question, I suppose I should ask if there are forum rules engraved into the walls somewhere.

Anyways, thanks for reading through all of this, especially considering at its heart it is a question which gets asked constantly.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 05:00:07 am »

Hello!

although you don't yet know me, I know many of you.
....worrying. 0_o

Pretty sure you're safe to start a fort. Major releases always take longer than originally projected, and he's still got quite a bit to go on this one. And that's not even counting post-release triage, as horrible bugs crop up and need to be put down to make it playable (hoping for some hilarious jumping ones). Personally, I'd say January at the very earliest.

Forum-wise, just avoid making threads like "Hey gaiz y Toadz no multithredd LOL" and you should be okay. Horrible depictions of death and depravity are fine as long as they're well-punctuated and involve elven caravans.

especially considering at its heart it is a question which gets asked constantly.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 05:15:16 am »

Hi!
I don't know when the next release will be sadly, however I now demand to know what sort of megaproject you're planning!

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 06:20:26 am »

Heh, welcome to the forum. Enjoy your stay :)

Speaking of introductions to the forum, I'm a longtime lower-forum scrub, but I thought I'd come visit you DF guys up here. I still like the game!

Geiun

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 08:34:02 am »

Hi!
I don't know when the next release will be sadly, however I now demand to know what sort of megaproject you're planning!

Short answer is Roc breeding program.

Long answer is Roc breeding on a slightly grander scale. I want each of my royal nobles to have a pet Roc, and a couple to act as guardians of the fortress.

Rocs take 20 years to mature, and I have no idea how large (or more likely, small) their egg clutches are. And so I expect that it could take quite a long time. Also, my understanding of the current taming system suggests that making an animal truly tame requires several generations. Since it would not be proper for the King or whoever to have a pet Roc who may turn on him, this could take a very long time.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 04:31:06 pm »

Horrible depictions of death and depravity are fine as long as they're well-punctuated and involve elven caravans.
To the OP: You have found the best place on the internet. A sanctum for the delightfully insane.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 04:38:08 pm »

So really, what I am asking for is not so much a release date confirmed by Toady, but for a vague guesstimate, from you guys, as to when it *might* come out. If you think your guess is only good to the nearest 3 months, so be it. You see, I have no idea if Dwarf Fortress has, for example, a history of 2 major releases a year. So my best guess at the moment lies somewhere between 1 month and 1 year.
I'm guessing, roughly, around January. That gives Toady one month for the sites, and another month to polish everything up. It could actually be as late as February, but I highly doubt it'll be as late as April. And I also highly, highly doubt there'll be a Christmas release like so many people are wanting.

And welcome to the forums. :) Glad to have you here.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 04:40:09 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 05:10:46 pm »

Welcome to the DF forums!

Now, to get down to buisness, would you have any skills that would help, oh I dunno, colinizing Mars or something?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 09:32:29 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 05:49:36 pm »

Yes! YES!JOIN US!!!
Courtesy of the Bay12 Space Program
Feel The Spehhhs

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 06:12:43 pm »

Feel the spehss! Feel the spehss!Fehl the spehss!One of us!Fehl the spehss!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 08:54:07 pm »

I'm guessing, roughly, around January. That gives Toady one month for the sites, and another month to polish everything up. It could actually be as late as February, but I highly doubt it'll be as late as April. And I also highly, highly doubt there'll be a Christmas release like so many people are wanting.

And welcome to the forums. :) Glad to have you here.
Boy, If Toady lets the release out on January 7th, I'm going to cry I'll be so happy. Its Christmas on the Eastern Orthodox Calender.

Lurkers confuse me. Why lurk? We are friendly. Hey, who of us do you know?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Geiun

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 09:27:33 pm »

Lurking was natural. I came to the forums to read all about various endeavors in dwarven !!Science!! and other megaprojects etc.

I didn't have anything significant to contribute to these threads. Since I didn't have an account, whenever I wanted to contribute something minor, I just decided I couldn't be bothered.

It was kind of like some sort of vicious self defeating cycle... except that it was not even slightly vicious, because creating an account would only take 30 seconds.
Now that I have finally got off my ass and spent the 30 seconds needed to create an account, posting is not a big deal.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 10:02:12 pm »

Lurking was natural. I came to the forums to read all about various endeavors in dwarven !!Science!! and other megaprojects etc.

I didn't have anything significant to contribute to these threads. Since I didn't have an account, whenever I wanted to contribute something minor, I just decided I couldn't be bothered.

It was kind of like some sort of vicious self defeating cycle... except that it was not even slightly vicious, because creating an account would only take 30 seconds.
Now that I have finally got off my ass and spent the 30 seconds needed to create an account, posting is not a big deal.
How did you think I joined the forum?
Except for me, it was a bloodline game. It isn't around anymore, though.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 10:41:18 pm »

Welcome to da club dude! You will be given a fake dwarfy beard when you reach the Bay Watcher status.

By the way, I spent some years lurking around before I joined too. I registered in 2010 but I have been around since like 2008 or something like that.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 12:29:53 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unless I'm around and it's a modding question :P