Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few questions before I LP Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2513 times)

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
A few questions before I LP Dwarf Fortress
« on: October 11, 2012, 08:07:14 am »

Hi everyone :)

I wasn't really sure where to ask these questions, but I figured this was a good place to start. I'm planning to start a video Let's Play series of DF Fortress mode soon. It's something I've wanted to do for years, but I only recently started recording LPs instead of just watching them.

The two questions I have are:

Firstly, where would be the best place to post a thread about a video LP of DF? I was thinking DF Community Games & Stories but I wasn't sure, as it isn't really a community game (though I'd certainly be happy for people to chime in in comments and be involved in the direction the fort develops in!).

Secondly, the main reason I've not started a DF LP yet and instead have made a few others, is simply because of background music. I happen to enjoy the DF background music, it's quite chilled and I can happily listen to it on loop without it grating on my nerves. However, I am not sure if I'm alone in that or not, so I'd like to ask people's opinion on this? Would it be all right (even preferable?) to have DF's native background music playing during the videos, or would it perhaps be better to find some different background music (ideally in theme) to play in the back of the videos instead?

Of course, if anyone has any other advice regarding this project, I'd welcome that as well :)

Thanks in advance :)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions before I LP Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 08:44:41 am »

Firstly: DF Community Games and Stories is the right place, but video LPs usually don't get a lot of viewer feedback around here. I'm not sure why.

Secondly: I love the background music, too, but my impression has been that most of the players turn it off and listen to something else because it gets on their nerves. That wouldn't be a big problem for a Let's Play if you don't turn it up too much - people watch your videos to listen to your voice, so the music isn't as dominant. I've seen a few LPs with the default music, and it works out okay.
Still, if you want to try an alternative, you could have a look at Soundsense.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

muzzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 12:59:58 pm »

When I'm playing, the default music starts to get on my nerves after a while. But it doesn't bother me when watching someone else. Assuming, as Trif mentioned, that the music doesn't interfere with the voice.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 06:50:53 pm »

I've never had a problem with the music. :-\ But yeah, video LP's seem to get less attention than everything else. I have absolutely no idea why, either.

I don't think it would be a problem to have different music running in the background, though.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 07:25:06 pm »

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I think I'll check out Stonesense as Trif suggested. Hopefully you'll all be able to see how it turns out in a few days.

Thanks again :)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 07:35:41 pm »

About low viewing: Maybe in part because everyone around here already plays lots of DF?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 07:39:58 pm »

It's because video LPs will be zoomed out, usually. Zoomed-out DF is really hard to follow. It's a game that offers almost no eye candy, except on a minute level - z-level changes are sudden and unsatisfying, fights are boring if you aren't checking the reports screen (with the exception of when one combatant goes flying), it's all hard to follow at once, and paused time is dead time.

I love the graphics, but it's very hard to tell what's happening when not coupled with the satisfaction of actually playing.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 08:43:33 am »

Hey I wanted to do a DF LP but fraps dosn't work.
What do you use and is it free?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 03:30:32 pm »

A few questions about Let's Plays I see, a few answers I give.

Firstly, the Community Games & Stories is an okay place to post a thread for your Dwarf Fortress Let's Play. Some though opt for posting in the DF General Discussion though. I can't really tell you which is better but I guess it depends on how much you plan to use the thread (if you post several updates then making constant replies in the Community Games & Stories board might be better, else if you do only a sparse few then maybe here in DF General is better.

Secondly, play the game the best way you enjoy playing it. If that is with the DF Background Music then go for it. Some might not like the background music but if you don't seem to be having fun then people likely won't enjoy watching your Let's Play either for that reason. Of course, if you are good with any old background music, then you should feel free to ask around what people like to listen to for BGM.

In regards to the question about what to use, I can make a suggestion of using the Screen Recorder I used for mine. I use BB Flashback Express which I found to be the best of the 'Free Recording Software' you might be able to get your hands on. There is also paid versions that the company behind it offers but I have yet to need to use them. Consider checking it out to see if it serves your needs or not.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre