Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

Author Topic: ROLL TO GM  (Read 32572 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: ROLL TO GM
« Reply #210 on: January 01, 2013, 11:30:27 am »

Isn't that what everyone does? After all, there is nothing new under the sun.
Toady would probably be offended by that. And Microsoft, or whoever made the first PCs. And just about every other inventor.

But nothing is truly new. PCs are a unit that processes input and delivers output, which is essentially a brain specialized for a certain task and built from different materials. DF is a simulation of life, nature and interpersonal relations (in its own way). Inventors essentially look at natural processes and figure out how to duplicate and better harness them. None of those ideas are actually truly original, but merely build on existing concepts. And I don't see why anybody would be offended by that.

And about shivs - think of how many people can drive a tank and consider how many people are able to shiv someone. That makes shivs far more accessible as a tool for Americans. Also, the shiv is far more understandable, and easier to rally people around. You can give everyone a shiv, but you can't give everyone a tank. And compare how long it would take to explain to a four-year-old how to properly operate a tank and how long it would take to explain to a four-year-old how to properly operate a shiv.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 11:38:16 am by Harry Baldman »

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 01, 2013, 11:50:09 am »

You people.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 01, 2013, 11:58:08 am »

Isn't that what everyone does? After all, there is nothing new under the sun.
Toady would probably be offended by that. And Microsoft, or whoever made the first PCs. And just about every other inventor.
But nothing is truly new. PCs are a unit that processes input and delivers output, which is essentially a brain specialized for a certain task and built from different materials. DF is a simulation of life, nature and interpersonal relations (in its own way). Inventors essentially look at natural processes and figure out how to duplicate and better harness them. None of those ideas are actually truly original, but merely build on existing concepts. And I don't see why anybody would be offended by that.
You implied they didn't exist. I'd be offended by that.
And no, PCs are not like brains. And no, DF is not just a simulation of real-world stuff. (It also simulates fantasy stuff.) And no, making a program which simulates something natural does not count as copying it. You can't wave a wand at something and have a computer program which copies it. Making a simulation is impressive and innovative, unless you're copying another's simulation.

And about shivs - think of how many people can drive a tank and consider how many people are able to shiv someone. That makes shivs far more accessible as a tool for Americans. Also, the shiv is far more understandable, and easier to rally people around. You can give everyone a shiv, but you can't give everyone a tank. And compare how long it would take to explain to a four-year-old how to properly operate a tank and how long it would take to explain to a four-year-old how to properly operate a shiv.
That's missing the point. You might as well make dirt an American symbol--everyone has access to dirt!

You people.
I know, I've completely forgotten why we're debating if a shiv is a good national symbol.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 01, 2013, 12:32:21 pm »

And no, PCs are not like brains. And no, DF is not just a simulation of real-world stuff. (It also simulates fantasy stuff.)

Fantasy stuff is real-world stuff in disguise and operates under the same principles. The general framework of reality remains the same. And PCs duplicate a human being's data processing abilities, while a simulation mimics a human being's imagination. The core ideas of these inventions aren't original, as they clearly are developed as duplications of a natural process or human capability. Invention is not original creation, it is refinement and development. And I don't recall ever implying all those wonderful things don't exist.

You can't wave a wand at something and have a computer program which copies it. Making a simulation is impressive and innovative, unless you're copying another's simulation.

But the idea of simulating something comes from the idea of playing out a situation in your head and the idea of observing the world, only the process (in this case playing out a situation) is realized through different, more precise means. What you're saying is essentially that if everyone measures water with their hands and you measure it with a bucket, you are being original. You are not. You are still measuring water, only using different means.

That's missing the point. You might as well make dirt an American symbol--everyone has access to dirt!

Ah, but how much effort, imagination and skill has gone into the obtaining of a clod of dirt? How ingenious do you have to be to construct a razor-sharp sword from matchsticks and how ingenious is it to pick up some dirt? You are ignoring the important parameter here. Although true American soil might also make for a good symbol of America.

I know, I've completely forgotten why we're debating if a shiv is a good national symbol.

Well, I'm mostly debating for the sheer hell of it, but also to see how far I can take the defense of this particular position. Good practice and good fun, I always say.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 12:36:28 pm by Harry Baldman »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 01, 2013, 12:39:17 pm »

Whose GM again?

Also what's a shiv?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 01, 2013, 12:58:54 pm »

Whose GM again?

Also what's a shiv?

TCM is the GM, and a shiv (also known as a shank) is an improvised (usually made of seemingly innocuous objects, such as a toothbrush) stabbing weapon. It is also the greatest symbol of ingenuity and innovation one could possibly think of.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 01:01:35 pm by Harry Baldman »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 01, 2013, 01:16:32 pm »

And no, PCs are not like brains. And no, DF is not just a simulation of real-world stuff. (It also simulates fantasy stuff.)
Fantasy stuff is real-world stuff in disguise and operates under the same principles. The general framework of reality remains the same.
Regardless of if the claim is true or not (it varies by author), it doesn't really matter; the fantasy stuff is NOT, repeat NOT extant IRL. This makes your reasoning faulty and your conclusion invalid.

And PCs duplicate a human being's data processing abilities,
No, they exceed them.

while a simulation mimics a human being's imagination.
Nope. A simulation's creator creates it imaginitively, but the simulation itself just follows its rules.

The core ideas of these inventions aren't original, as they clearly are developed as duplications of a natural process or human capability.
Regardless of if this is true or not--and it isn't--the peripheral changes are often the most important.

Invention is not original creation, it is refinement and development.
It all depends on how you define it, but there are times that invention has come up with things no one had thought possible or sane, but which worked and revolutionized the world. Who in the 18th century would have thought setting a fire within a ship could make it run better than with good old sails? Yet it worked. Even if invention is just putting old parts together in new ways, the new ways are often innovative in and of themselves.

And I don't recall ever implying all those wonderful things don't exist.
When you denied the existence of people who invented radically different new inventions, you implied their nonexistence.

You can't wave a wand at something and have a computer program which copies it. Making a simulation is impressive and innovative, unless you're copying another's simulation.
But the idea of simulating something comes from the idea of playing out a situation in your head and the idea of observing the world, only the process (in this case playing out a situation) is realized through different, more precise means.
Sometimes? Maybe. Always? No. Usually? Probably not. Simulations are created to simulate things. They aren't doing the exact same thing in a different way.

What you're saying is essentially that if everyone measures water with their hands and you measure it with a bucket, you are being original. You are not. You are still measuring water, only using different means.
Even if that WAS an apt analogy--and it isn't--if people never thought to use vessels to measure water before, then someone did, that is (by definition) innovation. It would really revolutionize water-measurement, too.

Ah, but how much effort, imagination and skill has gone into the obtaining of a clod of dirt? How ingenious do you have to be to construct a razor-sharp sword from matchsticks and how ingenious is it to pick up some dirt? You are ignoring the important parameter here.
That particular argument I was countering was saying that since anyone could have a shiv, shivs are a good American symbol. Effort taken to get a shiv doesn't matter for that argument. I agree that my counterargument sucks when applied to an argument it wasn't countering.

Although true American soil might also make for a good symbol of America.
Alright, I'm not debating American symbols with you anymore. You seem to have no idea what makes a good national symbol. It should  make the people of a nation proud, not embarrassed by association!

Well, I'm mostly debating for the sheer hell of it, but also to see how far I can take the defense of this particular position. Good practice and good fun, I always say.
Whatever. I'm arguing with logic, you're arguing with insanity. I'm not going to try and argue more. It reminds me too much of debating theology in church.

Whose GM again?

Also what's a shiv?
TCM is the GM, and a shiv (also known as a shank) is an improvised (usually made of seemingly innocuous objects, such as a toothbrush) stabbing weapon. It is also the greatest symbol of ingenuity and innovation one could possibly think of.
Assuming that one is Harry Baldman.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 01, 2013, 01:17:43 pm »

GUYS. STOP. STAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPHHHHHH
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 01, 2013, 01:31:12 pm »

I'm done arguing, at least.
Sig

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 01, 2013, 01:47:53 pm »

Alright, but only because you asked nicely.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]