Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Back to Dwarf Fortress  (Read 1726 times)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Back to Dwarf Fortress
« on: October 10, 2012, 07:43:44 am »

After a few months of playing inferior games, I decided to play the new versions of DF. Wow, undead, necromancers, vampires, fun stuff.

So I start a fort in a haunted location with minerals and flux, dwarves chop trees, dig out a huge dining hall that I always make... what could possibly go wrong?

Some dwarves get interrupted by an undead peregrine, my dogs manage to kill it... Then a wombat corpse, that kills my dogs. Ok this seems serious, I draft a naked dwarf and give him a battleaxe, he kills the wombat. I undraft him to do other stuff, 5 seconds later some dwarf gets interrupted by an undead wombat. That seems suspicious, I draft the dwarf again, he kills it. 5 seconds later, the dwarves get interrupted by an undead wombat... Ok wtf... Is it the same goddamn wombat? Sure enough, it was coming from my refuse stockpile...

Then a dog corpse starts scaring my dwarves, draft again. I figure I should make a corpse stockpile away from my fortress. Dwarves start carrying corpses there, and I have to draft my axedwarf every 5 seconds to run to that stockpile and kill them again, because they come back to my fortress. So far so good.

Walls almost ready... my dwarves get interrupted by... a dog head. It was in the refuse stockpile right next to my gate. Draaaaft... After killing the head three times, it manages to explode and shower the whole place with teeth and whatnot. I'm nearly crying at this point, who knows how many of these teeth will start spooking my dwarves.

As if that wasn't enough, now I am attacked by a horde of undead rhesus makaques. Ok are you kidding me? I had enough trouble with a dog and a wombat, now I have to deal with 7 more corpses??? Also, there's a mad dwarf in a strange mood downstairs, oh dear...

Yes, this is indeed a Dwarf Fortress  :'(
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Back to Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 11:18:22 am »

You just came back and embarked in an evil biome?

Armok loves you and welcome back to Dwarf Fortress.
"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 12:57:54 pm »

I like to imagine that my dwarves are pioneers that settle the worst possible areas to challenge the hordes of evil that threaten to spread to the rest of the world :)

I read a few topics on undead, and it seems that I might be able to solve this problem by placing refuse stockpiles on grass tiles. Practical thinking is probably what got me into this mess - hey look there's a useless dead area with no grass on it, perfect for a refuse dump...

Meanwhile some migrant waves brought too much livestock, which I decided to butcher. Needless to say, it caused an adwarfalypse...
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 09:17:16 pm »

If any part of your embark is non-evil then yea, it'll fix that. As far as reanimated livestock, check out that bacon thread, also endless leather and 'live' military training.

If it's all evil, a pit with a magma safe repeating spike trap does the trick.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 09:24:26 pm »

I like to imagine that my dwarves are pioneers that settle the worst possible areas to challenge the hordes of evil that threaten to spread to the rest of the world :)

I read a few topics on undead, and it seems that I might be able to solve this problem by placing refuse stockpiles on grass tiles. Practical thinking is probably what got me into this mess - hey look there's a useless dead area with no grass on it, perfect for a refuse dump...

Meanwhile some migrant waves brought too much livestock, which I decided to butcher. Needless to say, it caused an adwarfalypse...
Haha, thiis is so funny. Seriously, beware of some of the other stuff in evil biomes. If that'd been huskifying, or a weather with a really bad effect, your stories would be written in past-tense.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 09:34:02 am »

Assuming your entire embark is evil so there are no safe spots to leave corpses, you can always just dump and atom smash them, or wait until you strike magma and toss them in there. Having a military dwarf constantly stationed in the refuse heap will usually take care of things depending on what's in there, and can be decent training, but I find they have a tendency to go insane after a while...
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.