Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Anvil Trap?  (Read 13348 times)

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anvil Trap?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 09:04:22 pm »

Why drop anything else when you can drop anvils?  Its so loony toons.
In real life an anvil drop would usually be fatal.  In Looney Tunes, the characters are indestructible but it is treated as a fairly potent attack, aborting whatever plot the struck character was up to.  But Dwarf Fortress physics are a little weird, considering the reports from Adventurer mode players who get much mileage out of throwing less substantial things.  I suspect dropping a quantum stockpile of cheaper to make items might actually turn out to do more damage.

Note that I'm mildly surprised to hear that this works at all (you did test this, didn't you?).  I would have expected the anvil to just appear on the same tile as the "victim" without doing anything, considering that the only way to create such a trap involves dump system abuse.

Oh, and:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r1knpIlcV8
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 09:52:48 pm by Michael »

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 09:18:30 pm »

Oh now that lil clip brings back some memories. Very good times indeed.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 09:24:18 pm »

Falling items hurt now.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 09:30:33 pm »

There is something terribly cartoony and yet so terribly dwarvenly about falling anvils.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 12:08:18 am »

Falling items hurt now.

Correct, this was added with the minecarts I'm pretty sure.

Furthermore, someone did testing recently that found that dropping seeds on dwarves was a surprisingly effective way to train some attributes as well as armor user skill.  Also note that seeds were frequently fatal if the dwarf wasn't wearing a helmet.  Wearing a helmet made them pretty much immune to them though.

Dropping small, dense things is likely to give you the most bang for your buck.  Anvils will probably work pretty well too though.  It all just requires testing.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 02:24:28 am »

Would metal weight affect the weight of the anvils?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 02:26:27 am »

I'm pretty sure it does.  I don't recall what all you can make anvils out of, but I don't think you can make silver or gold anvils unfortunately, which would be enormously heavy.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 02:34:36 am »

You can only make anvils out of iron, steel and adamantine: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Anvil
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2012, 03:02:02 am »

Note to self: Increase weight of steel.

Chaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2012, 06:11:46 pm »

Note to yourself: Make lead usable for anvils.

Just increasing the weight of steel will make your elite-dorfs suited with masterwork steel armor crawl to their death.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 05:57:11 am »

Also note that seeds were frequently fatal if the dwarf wasn't wearing a helmet.  Wearing a helmet made them pretty much immune to them though.
But is a helmet sufficient against a quantum stockpile drop of 100 seeds?  (Note: dropping multiple hundreds of seeds may be logistically difficult, since once 200 seeds of a given type are in play, the game stops making more.  But there are 17 types, and trade ignores the limit.)

Note to self: Increase weight of steel.
If it is so important that what you drop can be called "an anvil", how about toy mini-forges?

One bit of hyperbole you sometimes see is describing something as hitting "like a coal scuttle full of tiny anvils"....  In DF it is possible.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 07:10:38 am »

I think you just need to increase the base size of an anvil.  Make it more like an iron boulder.  Although boulders don't splat creatures very reliably either...
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 07:29:12 am »

Also note that seeds were frequently fatal if the dwarf wasn't wearing a helmet.  Wearing a helmet made them pretty much immune to them though.
But is a helmet sufficient against a quantum stockpile drop of 100 seeds?  (Note: dropping multiple hundreds of seeds may be logistically difficult, since once 200 seeds of a given type are in play, the game stops making more.  But there are 17 types, and trade ignores the limit.)

Yeah, it was, I'm pretty sure.  The author noted that stuff would still cause bruising, but helmets made dwarves immune to death by seeds shattering skulls.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2012, 10:13:49 pm »

I think you just need to increase the base size of an anvil.  Make it more like an iron boulder.  Although boulders don't splat creatures very reliably either...
Anvils aren't moddable.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2012, 10:36:11 pm »

Perhaps you could simply mod in your own ridiculously heavy "Piano" object
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3