Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few quick questions about creating a new playable race  (Read 1667 times)

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
A few quick questions about creating a new playable race
« on: October 07, 2012, 02:51:30 pm »

Hi there, I've been looking into creating a new race primarily to play in Adventure mode, but perhaps in Fortress mode at a later time. I've looked at the wiki, but I'm a little fuzzy on what files I'll need to backup/edit to achieve my goal. I have checked out the body and entity default files and looked over the creatures there but it doesn't look like all the information required to create them is in any one file, but scattered about.

My goal is to create an intelligent race of humanoids, similar to humans but have four arms and are a little larger. Since I wanted to possibly play them in Fortress mode, I figured I'd copy/paste the section for Dwarfs and make tweaks to that. But as far as defining their limbs, and internal organs (was thinking about a few redundant systems) I'm not sure what to do.

Can anyone give me some advice on how I can go about getting this done?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: A few quick questions about creating a new playable race
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 03:20:35 pm »

All of the creature's body lies in one token--BODY. Copy the humans and replace "HUMANOID" with "HUMANOID_4ARMS" under the BODY token. If you want them to be a little larger, just change the BODY_SIZE token to be larger than 70000--say, 75000 or 80000.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 04:11:37 pm »

Thank you, that seems quite simple. If I may ask, which files will I need to edit? I need to put this info into creature_standard if I understand correctly, and then reference from within entity_default? I'm also currently a little unsure what determines what size armor they can equip.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 04:28:28 pm by BoogieMan »

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 04:13:56 pm »

Somehow double posted, sorry.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 04:23:02 pm by BoogieMan »

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 04:55:27 pm »

I'm going to watch this thread intently. I have so many races I want to create. Thankfully one of my nagging questions as been answered, the size.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 05:15:42 pm »

Armor size is based on BODY_SIZE--"small" literally means "too small for you" and "large" means "too large for you", they're not actual armor size indicators.

It's recommended to make new files for your creatures and entities for easier uninstalling. All raws need the file name without the txt as the top line and [OBJECT:XXX] where "XXX" can be seen in another file of the same type as the second line.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 08:39:51 pm »

Seems to be working well so far, thanks for the help! However, they seem to be perhaps excessively peaceful. Is there a way to make them like to war against Goblins and other evil creatures or specific races?

Seems to be working overall and the extra arms show up, however, they still can't equip more than one set of gauntlets.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 10:57:32 am by BoogieMan »

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 02:40:56 pm »

I do know the answer to that one. The more different civilizations are ethically the more likely they are to go to war.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 05:28:14 pm »

I made some minor changes to their ethics and got the desired result for the most part. Saw many with a lot of Goblin kills. Ultimately I'd like them to specifically grudge against Goblins and other evil creatures but I don't see anything that appears to have such an effect.

The largest I could make a creature that could still wear human sized armor was 79900. 80000 and all their clothing/armor was considered small.

I'm thinking the extra arms aren't of any/much benefit as they should be. I was able to equip/hold a combination of 4 weapon/shield. But I seem to remember some oddness of being able to hold dozens of items in one hand anyway. I don't know if this resulted in any penalty to combat however. Does anyone know the answer to that? I did run around with a two handed sword in one hand, a battle axe in another, a warhammer, and then a shield. Unfortunately it doesn't seem you can attack any faster as you should able too, assuming sufficient coordination. While it provides versatile combat options it also slows skill advancement since it'll be split between weapons. Innate bonuses to skills such as wrestling for obvious reasons don't appear to affect player characters in adventure mode. In adventurer mode I can equip 2 gauntlets, and 2 gloves. I was under the impression only mittens could go over gauntlets. Yet, even without the gloves no gauntlets can be worn. ???

I experimented with a long 440-660 year lifespan, but I commonly see them die of old age as young as their upper 200s, and I haven't seen more than about 384. They did pop out a lot of children though, heh. Quite a few have became Necromancers. I did see my race as often being the ones to kill megabeasts and such, which was cool. Got a 2nd age of Heroes once, and something like 5th age of Myth, which I hadn't seen before by year 400.

Anyone aware of any console/developer/hack commands that can provide more specific information about a creature such as number of internal organs and such for testing purposes?

On a side note I saw two Dwarf Vampires with about 7000 kills each. Mostly Dwarves. :o
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:38:08 pm by BoogieMan »

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 05:31:47 pm »

Ugh I clicked quote instead of modify, feel free to delete this specific post.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 03:47:35 am »

Extra arms won't be too much of a benefit: Fortress mode creatures are pre-programmed as far as equipping weapons/shields are concerned, and adventurers can already equip whatever.  The only real difference will be more options for wrestlers (like being able to strangle four enemies at once) and having a few spare arms in case you lose a couple.  Larger size makes a big difference in fighting ability though.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 06:33:44 am »

Just wait a version...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 04:53:32 pm »

If you want them to war against goblins specifically, make your eithics the polar opposite of them so there's no common ground.