Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Challenge-Mods  (Read 11940 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge-Mods
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 07:22:03 pm »

How about challenges where farming is hindered or removed to some extent? Or a mod where 10% of dwarves and domestic animals have CRAZED? Or  a mod where dwarves can only make some nerfed digging and tree-cutting implements and no other weapons? Or one where dwarves can't make any ores but goblins get steel?
Or some sort of combination, say  no farming plus less meat, or no wood plus no weapons?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 10:27:33 pm »

I'm currently running a game where all major races, including dwarves and kobolds, have the hateable vermin tag.
It's still pretty easy, though, so I built the fortress into the side of a cliff, very high up, with the central hallway being completly exposed to the open air.

Still only lost one dwarf, when he fell and drowned in the river below.
Waitting for a tantrum spiral to liven things up.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 10:32:42 pm »

So does the second challenge remove woodcutting and mining?

Hunger

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:RETARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 10:42:38 pm »

So does the second challenge remove woodcutting and mining?
No
The Ultimate Challenges
(Can you beat them all?)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=117366.0
Made By: Hunger

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 10:42:57 pm »

Can you make uber hard mode that disables both?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 10:48:29 pm »

If you can neither mine nor use trees, what do you do?
Sleep on the ground and grow strawberries?

Sounds kinda elfy to me.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 06:37:48 am »

Another idea for a (minor) challenge: Less Meat Challenge.

--Remove all domestic animals and creatures with PET or MOUNT. Cavies and rabbits are small enough that you might make an exception for them.
--Remove all wild, walking, non-vermin animals smaller than a dwarf. Cavies, rabbits, and the like are small enough that you might make an exception for them. Also get rid of the less-annoying birds that are still big enough to give meat.
--Give LIKESFIGHTING to most remaining animals.
--Remove PET_EXOTIC from some of the more common creatures with it.

Ramifications:
-It's hard to get meat, bones, leather, and so forth. You need to trade or hunt dangerous animals for them.
-No milk, cheese, or wool.
-No cats to protect food stockpiles from vermin.
-No guard dogs or the like.

It's an EASY challenge, but a challenge

You could also make every animal in the game sentient. That way no human or dwarf will butcher them anymore, while still keeping the wildlife as dangerous as always.
Farming is still as overpowered as always, so it still wouldn't be very difficult. I think the main problem is that you no longer have access to bones for your moods.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Hunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 11:34:11 am »

=-Snip-=

You could also make every animal in the game sentient. That way no human or dwarf will butcher them anymore, while still keeping the wildlife as dangerous as always.
Farming is still as overpowered as always, so it still wouldn't be very difficult. I think the main problem is that you no longer have access to bones for your moods.

That would be bad good, but I am working on a uber-challenge right now.
The Ultimate Challenges
(Can you beat them all?)

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2012, 11:54:47 am »

the no meat challlenge actually has another side effect, you need pull-animals to be able to get caravans

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2012, 05:57:25 pm »

Discontinued my no mining fort due to boredom (although I might go back to it). Starting a no wood fort near a dark fortress while my civ is at war with the goblins. I genned a 1050 year history world on a pocket world with max everything (civs, beasts, mineral occurence, etc). Unfortunately the two megabeasts (a dragon and a hydra) are long dead, and the elves seem to be extinct too (it's great and all, but this means I don't get to kill them).

E: am I supposed to not be able to bring wood with me on embark?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 06:06:43 pm by MrWillsauce »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2012, 07:08:56 pm »

the no meat challlenge actually has another side effect, you need pull-animals to be able to get caravans

Also, animals will slaughter your dwarves instead of running.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 03:23:03 am »

When creating challenges, I'd go less for restriction and more for !!FUN!!

So... Husk-creating creeping gas clouds... everywhere.  No, scratch that.  BOILING MAGMA creeping gas clouds.  EVERYWHERE.

Or maybe a random regional effect that temporarily makes all animals (anything without CAN_LEARN and CAN_SPEAK) CRAZED?  Everything seems normal until suddenly ALL the animals go berserk, including pets... Or better yet, make them all OPPOSED_TO_LIFE and NOT_LIVING so they'll team up against you instead of attacking each other.  (This could be an effect of SAVAGE regions if you want to restrict its effect)

Or how about giving dwarves the ability to do crazy party tricks based on [CE_COUNTER:PARTIED_OUT]... like going totally wild (temporary CRAZED status), bringing the house down (with an UNDIRECTED_DUST attack), or just breathing fire at their friends?  So that being too HAPPY could become a hazard.

Hunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 04:43:20 pm »

When creating challenges, I'd go less for restriction and more for !!FUN!!

So... Husk-creating creeping gas clouds... everywhere.  No, scratch that.  BOILING MAGMA creeping gas clouds.  EVERYWHERE.

Or maybe a random regional effect that temporarily makes all animals (anything without CAN_LEARN and CAN_SPEAK) CRAZED?  Everything seems normal until suddenly ALL the animals go berserk, including pets... Or better yet, make them all OPPOSED_TO_LIFE and NOT_LIVING so they'll team up against you instead of attacking each other.  (This could be an effect of SAVAGE regions if you want to restrict its effect)

Or how about giving dwarves the ability to do crazy party tricks based on [CE_COUNTER:PARTIED_OUT]... like going totally wild (temporary CRAZED status), bringing the house down (with an UNDIRECTED_DUST attack), or just breathing fire at their friends?  So that being too HAPPY could become a hazard.

That would be hard, but as I said I am working on a mega challenge currently
The Ultimate Challenges
(Can you beat them all?)
Pages: 1 [2]