Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 81

Author Topic: My Little Fortress - 2016 (DF 0.43.04) yay!  (Read 179955 times)

taliakirana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress - 2014 (DF 0.40.19)
« Reply #1020 on: May 29, 2015, 12:06:01 pm »

I want to play this again. Any tips for getting started? (I'm going to re-add a couple of minimods I used to use. The block-crafting workshop and display case so I can put the artifact crafts on display. Both found on these forums, but I've lost track of where.)

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: May 30, 2015, 04:12:24 pm »

Ah, Talia...  A few things of which I'd recommend:

• Consider some additional points to surface crops.
  • For some of the workshops, you'll need the alchemy labor.  (Library studies, along with some of the workshops you can build).
  • Once a sawmill is up, use the saw mill to make wood blocks, not the carpenter's shop.  (Six blocks for a log at the saw mill, against the one block from one log from carpenter's shop.)
  • If you plan on fortress walls on the surface, consider a dome instead.
  • Earth ponies actually make good miners.

Hope those couple of pointers help out.  I do also recommend embarking somewhere with soil, that way, you can channel down one Z-level to have farm plots uninhibited by stone pebbles, boulders, and patches of stone.  A depot also could be recommended early.

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: May 30, 2015, 05:20:35 pm »

I had an earth pony miner and a pegasus miner the last time I played. Guess which one leveled their skill faster? 9_9 On the other hand it was actually nice not having to worry about the pegasus getting stuck on things since they never went outdoors.

taliakirana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: June 05, 2015, 05:37:11 pm »

Does the domesticate carrot reaction even do anything anymore? Or is it just a leftover from older mods?

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: June 07, 2015, 06:21:35 am »

I don't know if it works, but even if it does it's probably useless.

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: June 07, 2015, 02:08:46 pm »

Sounds like an ancient relic that somehow slipped past.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: June 07, 2015, 04:29:36 pm »

Wow, that IS a relic of longtime past, it was supposed to be a part of the Earth pony research tree but it was not possible to make a plant with seeds that also do not grow in the wild, alas!
The fact that Toady dumped a few hundred plants on us just as I was doing it didn't exactly help either :)

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: July 28, 2015, 06:52:11 pm »

Is the link on the front page still the newest version of the mod?

Edit: Well I downloaded the one on the main page and 40.19 but whenever my game gets to Granite 4th on the dwarf mode start up it freezes. Tried making multiple worlds using normal and adv. world gen and they both do this. :/
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:26:47 pm by zlurker »

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: July 30, 2015, 07:14:18 pm »

Just checked the errorlog and all three of the regions have this:

*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_pony_pony.txt"
PONY Color Mod Ending With (1,) Was Not Used
Duplicate Object: creature CHIMERA
*** Error(s) found in the file "data/save/region3/raw/objects/creature_pony_pony.txt"
PONY Color Mod Ending With (1,) Was Not Used
Unit has misaligned bp modifiers.  Adjusting.

The adjusting stuff continues for like hundreds of lines more, probably around 200-300 times.
---------------------------
Edit: Turns out a duplicate of chimera from the pony mod and vanilla DF were causing the crash. Thanks Putnam for the help. :D Now to see if I can make anything bigger than small sized worlds.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 02:28:33 am by zlurker »

Vardia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: August 18, 2015, 01:34:34 am »

Sorry to be a bother but I'm a bit confused and had a few questions about this mod.

Do I need to use 40.19 version of DF to run this? I tried running it in the current one and got a "Missing material template: SAUCE" error.

Is it possible to use tilesets for the ground/trees/stone/anything but ponies? I'm not so good with the ASCII.

I saw a previous post in here saying that the mod was bundled with therapist but when I go to download it it's just "My Little Raws" and nothing else.

Thanks!

So I managed to get the phoebus tileset to work for the most part. Open space is still ascii and the trees look like smoothed walls but it seems to be in working order now.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 04:15:56 pm by Vardia »

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: August 18, 2015, 02:03:25 am »

There's probably something that got changed in .24 compared to .19 that's messing with it and causing the error. Also you used to get DF, Therapist and all the mod stuff installed with the download but I imagine that's probably kind of time consuming for poor Sorceror to do every time he updates it. And lastly there used to be some awesome pony sprites for DF (not stonesense) but I highly doubt they work any more. :<

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: November 29, 2015, 02:55:18 pm »

The prodigal son returns!

Sooo, it's been nearly a year since the last MLF update, but with the new version looming and ponies going on hiatus, I figured I could jump back into it and at the very least make sure the mod works on DF 2k15 or whatever we'll call it.

We'll have to see exactly what kind of features the new version brings, but this is also an opportunity to make any changes.
So, if anyone is still interested in playing the "show canon(ish)" version of the mod, hooves up, any changes you would prefer?

Personally I was thinking about a version with the pony tribes separated, as you can invite other civs to your fort now it could take place shortly after the unification, but I guess we need to see how that works with love and marriage first, if new members of the fort are 100% segregated that probably wouldn't work too well.

So what do you think? stick to the same approach as now, just updated, add features, remove features?
pretty much anything goes at this point, just want to gauge the interest.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: November 29, 2015, 05:26:19 pm »

I'm definitely interested in playing ponies in the new DF.  It's really all I ever do with DF anyway.  So, yes, I'd love to see an updated mod for it.  I'd intended to just carry my own personal mod forward, but I'm interested to see how this one will work in it.

I hadn't even considered the possibility of having the different pony races / subspecies as their own independent entities that could be unified through the fort joining procedure, which sounds pretty interesting.  We're definitely going to have to wait to see how it works in the new version though.  I suspect that such events will be pretty rare, but maybe not.  And who knows what it will mean for marriage and reproduction.  I'm going to guess that they wouldn't be able to reproduce that way, for better or worse.

I can't really comment on the other features though, since I don't remember what all this mod supported.  The only thing that jumps out in my memory as being noncanon was the fleece that served as a replacement for leather, which serves an important purpose in DF.  I believe there were also some changes that prevented creatures from yielding meat when butchered?  That helped with pony immersion, but made some other species a little wonky.  ;)  Were griffons even playable in this mod?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: November 29, 2015, 06:08:09 pm »

I primarily focused on Ponies, as I wanted something a little more than regular DF but with ponies.

Here's the rundown
Fully realized cutie mark system with skill bonuses.
I tried to give each of the tribes "system" which was developed to some extent

Unicorns
 - Research/Knowledge system, grind for research points to unlock buildings
 - Crystal growing/craft
Pegasus
 - Weather factory.
Earth Ponies
- Baking (NYI)
- Rock Farm

I also added some items to help overground construction, sawmill for more logs and thatch from hay.

I was planning on expanding the research and magic system using dfhack and material imparted syndromes, but it was a bit of a handful and I was pretty tired after work so I never got around to it.
My notes also has an elaborate system for the elements of harmony again using syndromes, it led the same fate.

I could look into using something like a mod manager or something to allow some different options, the biggest problem is making sure all changes are implemented across all alternate files.
it shouldn't be too difficult to add an option to return meat and leather if someone wants to play griffons. and I also need to add an option for single caste ponies for adventure mode (there are something like 333 castes for each tribe atm due to caste dupication for cutie marks)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 06:19:33 pm by Sorcerer »

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: November 30, 2015, 12:21:59 am »

I'm all for ponies in the new version too. :D
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 81