Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 81

Author Topic: My Little Fortress - 2016 (DF 0.43.04) yay!  (Read 178943 times)

taliakirana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress - 2016 (DF 0.42.05) yay!
« Reply #1110 on: May 19, 2016, 12:35:46 pm »

I really need to get around to playing this again. Wonder if it'll still work with the newest version?

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: May 19, 2016, 03:19:01 pm »

Ehh, it's not really updated with any of the new buildings or interactions so there's probably going to be missing stuff.. I've been distracted by modding Xcom and stellaris outside work so I've not really given much thought to this lately I'm afraid, I'll see if I can get a cursory look at what needs to be changed this weekend.

Hergest

• Escaped Lunatic
  • A Prisoner of the Dark Sky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: June 02, 2016, 02:51:49 am »

Hey there!

I've recently got back into MLP after some time and, as you can imagine, that's got me in a mood to pony up some of my favourite games. And I must say, this mod seems to be one of the most interesting and show-friendly ones out there for DF. I've had a decent amount of fun with it just by watching little horses beat each other senseless in the Arena.

Unfortunately, I have run into problems during worldgen whevener I try to install this mod. Stuff like crashes and corrupted, nameless historical figures that cause even more crashes are frequent. But the most confusing issue seems to be the fact that most sentient creatures (except zebras for some reason) have incredibly short lifespans, which results in zebras being the only widespread civs after worldgen.

It's confusing because the MAXAGE tokens seem to be defined properly, with lifespans ranging from 70 to around 120 years, but it's as if the game doesn't care. These sentient creatures die of old age long before reaching the 30 year mark.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong when installing the mod, but I don't know what that is. I simply merge the folders in the .rar with the ones on a fresh install of DF 42.05 but the issues persist. When I download the obsolete version from the dffd page, I don't have these same problems.

I wanted to ask if you, or anyone for that matter, could detail to me the installation process so that I can figure out what's wrong, or upload some sort of preinstall .rar that is supposed to be working correctly so that I may enjoy the mod. While I have successfully installed mods before, I've never been interested in custom creatures and entities.

Thanks in advance, and keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 02:53:38 am by Hergest »

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: June 02, 2016, 05:17:52 am »

Hello, thanks for the feedback.
The worldgen issues are something I have been struggling to fix, it seems its caused by the number of civs and trying to place them in correct biomes, but mods like fortress defense have more total civs and don't appear to have the same issues. Tho i guess my 200+ caste ponies may have something to do with it O_o

The maxage thing is new to me, I've not heard about that issue before.
Your install procedure sounds to be the right one tho, i guess you can try to extract the entire thing to an empty folder first,and then move across and overwrite the required base files.

Hergest

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: June 03, 2016, 06:46:52 am »

Hm, I tried various different approaches when installing the mod and I'm still not sure of what might be happening. I thought maybe I had been mistaken and that those creatures dying of old age might have just been older than the world, so I decided to test this by attempting to control a pony civ in Fortress mode and checking on the ages in a world with History set to Very Short. I've been very unlucky with worldgen, though, as every world I've created so far has failed to provide me with playable ponies.

I did get something else, though. Entire playable civilizations of little lizards (described as "a small reptile," I'm pretty sure they're just supposed to be some sort of varmint) complete with political positions and settlements. I am absolutely baffled by this development, as I can't see any tags in the raws that might define them as a civilization of any kind. Here's a screenshot from Legends mode:

(This is super weird, right? Like, I'm not going crazy or anything?)

So, uh, there's that I guess.

Are there any mirrors to previous versions of the mod? I think I might have better luck if I try those instead.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: June 03, 2016, 07:36:15 am »

If you embark, are you getting weird creatures as well (something other than ponies)? This seems like it could be caused by a duplicate creature raw.

Hergest

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: June 03, 2016, 08:36:16 am »

Embarking as zebras, for a lack of pony civs, resulted in a mostly normal setup with the only exception being that the expedition leader was a goat under the Pets and Livestock tab. Looks like you're right about duplicate raws, though I'm not sure how to go on about fixing this.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: June 03, 2016, 09:45:12 am »

Yeah that sounds like raw duplication to me.

Here's my copy, it has some weirdities like some custom keybinds and a pastel-y colorscheme, but should work otherwise

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3677116/DF/My%20Little%20Fortress%202016%20-%200.42.05.zip

Hergest

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: June 03, 2016, 11:31:48 am »

Unfortunately, the problems persist. Same old, lizards and goats weirding around and no ponies in sight.

I don't know what could be interfering with the files. Running DF through the archive doesn't help, and I even installed 7-zip just to make sure that WinRAR wasn't messing with things. I'm stumped.

It's ok though, I appreciate all the help regardless. Maybe I'll wait for another release or see how the mod behaves in a different system before trying again.

Thanks again, sorry I couldn't get it to work out. I know I must sound like a dummy after all that, but the margin for error in unpacking a .zip archive is just too low and I can't for the life of me understand what exactly went wrong.

Have a good one!

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: June 03, 2016, 04:33:27 pm »

Shouldn't duplicate raws put an error in a log somewhere?  I not sure where it would go, but if someone knows, that will tell us what was duplicated.

Also, are you using any other mods? Are you using a graphic pack, and if so, which one? Some graphics modify raws, which could cause conflicts.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: June 04, 2016, 04:08:43 am »

that's very peculiar.. goats are a minor race and can become leaders and heroes, but not lizards. Tho I think toady mentioned something like that in the bugfixes at some point.

Hergest

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: June 04, 2016, 06:24:05 am »

No graphic packs, I ran Sorcerer's copy just as it was exctracted without any further fiddling with the files.

Searching for "error" in Windows Explorer turns up a file called errorlog.txt, and I'm not sure if I can make sense of it. It looks like the game is just complaining about colours a bunch. Here's the file on pastebin, if it helps.

Actually, upon closer inspection I see that it also complains about a duplicate object defined as CHIMERA. Searching for "chimera" reveals two creature_fanciful files in different paths, one in the base raws and another in the save folder which I assume was created after worldgen. Could this be what's causing the problems?

EDIT: So it seems that CHIMERA is defined in both creature_fanciful and a file called creature_pony_creatures, though the creature_fanciful one has a [DOES_NOT_EXIST] token. I'd try to remove the one from creature_fanciful but I don't think I know enough about raws to do so without breaking something else.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 06:40:17 am by Hergest »

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: June 04, 2016, 07:24:31 am »

"Duplicate Object: creature CHIMERA" - this looks like our culprit.

It looks like CREATURE:CHIMERA appears in both creature_fanciful and creature_pony_creatures

Sorcerer will need to fix this in the mod (I suggest renaming all the mod stuff to have the prefix MLP_ - this will prevent mod conflicts with anything in the original, plus avoid mod conflicts if combined with other mods.  Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom does this to avoid issues by prefixing everything with MW_

You can fix your copy by opening raw/objects/creature_fanciful.txt and deleting the entire [CREATURE_CHIMERA] entry (lines 5-11)

Hergest

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: June 04, 2016, 08:10:05 am »

Oh, nice! That seems to have done it, Ponies exist now and not a lizard in sight! I'll play around in fortress mode to see if any oddities crop up, but the embark looks okay so far.

Thanks! I never imagined that the game could spiral down into complete weirdness because of a few misplaced lines here or there. It's actually very interesting.

I'll keep in touch if I find anything else, or if I have some piece of general feedback to provide.

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: June 11, 2016, 03:17:08 am »

Is the game playable for 0.43.03? :)
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 81