Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 81

Author Topic: My Little Fortress - 2016 (DF 0.43.04) yay!  (Read 180070 times)

taliakirana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress - 2014 (DF 0.40.xx)
« Reply #780 on: July 18, 2014, 08:45:09 pm »

But we will keep one full rainbow mane, right? (I think a pastel rainbow would be nice too.) They shouldn't be super common, but I'd like for them to still exist.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: July 19, 2014, 09:34:09 am »

ofcourse, there'll be special manes, but not.. you know.. thirty variants of each using obscucre color hues

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
  • Mysterious Transmissions
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: July 19, 2014, 07:00:45 pm »

Are you going to end up removing meat and leather production again, even for non-pony races? Or have you found a way to make it so that it only affects the equine races. Or are you just not going to remove it this time around.
Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: July 20, 2014, 04:48:22 am »

I'll probably make two sets, so that people can have meat in adventure mode if they so desire (but seriously, there's food EVERYWHERE now) but default will be no meat and leather.
Instead of butchering animals, perhaps we could spay/neuter pets for population control? it's possible to do that with reactions. 

BlueMagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Blue admires magical items for their shininess
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: July 20, 2014, 02:34:34 pm »

Can there be a guide to this mod? I'd love to play it but I don't know what to do or how to properly start.
Blue cancels Type Coherent Post: Crying Over Fictional Characters

ExOttoyuhr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: July 20, 2014, 03:08:00 pm »

I'll probably make two sets, so that people can have meat in adventure mode if they so desire (but seriously, there's food EVERYWHERE now) but default will be no meat and leather.
Instead of butchering animals, perhaps we could spay/neuter pets for population control? it's possible to do that with reactions.

In that case, will there be some way of ensuring that strange moods don't desire leather? In 34.11, I lost several ponies to wanting leather for an artifact clothing item, and not having any way to get it to them...

I should also say, though, that this is a really great mod, and I greatly appreciate all the effort that's gone into it... It's certainly the only version of DF I've played where I've been enthusiastic about having royalty arrive. :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 03:10:18 pm by ExOttoyuhr »

ExOttoyuhr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: July 20, 2014, 03:28:20 pm »

Can there be a guide to this mod? I'd love to play it but I don't know what to do or how to properly start.

I haven't gotten that deep into the mod, but from what I've seen, it's not that different from the main game... I hope more experienced players correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that the main differences are:

* Cutie marks are present; a pony gets a slight boost to skills using his/her cutie mark. Fortunately, you can sort of ignore them if you must...
* You can't brew alcohol from random herbs, so you need to always ensure you have a source of water.
* Farming is much better than herbalism.
* You can't feed a fort with puppies, although you can still gather eggs.
* Herding is more useful in this version than in vanilla, since ponies have a wider range of uses for milk -- although it's still herding, still fiddly and space-consuming.
* Ponies are much stronger and faster than dwarves. If a given threat is neither from the show nor from deep underground, you have nothing to fear from it.
* You'll be doing a lot of above-ground construction if you want to be in-character.
* The textile industry is even more stupidly powerful.
* Research is now present, and shouldn't be ignored forever. (Above-ground construction is much easier with a sawmill.)
* The tree-climbing bug in 0.40.03 feels like a feature if it's pegasi doing the climbing.

But, in 40.03, I'm seeing a bug where changelings besiege my settlement and leave, but the siege tag doesn't get lifted, which means no immigrants or caravans. (/And/, it means a crippling shortage of magical pony princesses. Unlike the main game, I was looking forward to royalty arriving in this one!) Is anyone else seeing this behavior? I've logged it as bug 7482, http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7482. I suspect that it occurs with dwarves too, but it's hard to win a first-year siege with dwarves.

taliakirana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: July 20, 2014, 04:18:20 pm »

For leather, research the magic loom. That will let you make fleece from wool, which counts as leather. We need a reaction that will produce something that counts as bone, so ponies won't need to slaughter animals at all.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: July 20, 2014, 05:51:14 pm »

Speaking of fleece, I believe it can even be made from plant cloth. Which might not be entirely intended.

I still have the old guide around, although it's quite outdated and incomplete. See here.

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: July 20, 2014, 07:12:30 pm »

For leather, research the magic loom. That will let you make fleece from wool, which counts as leather. We need a reaction that will produce something that counts as bone, so ponies won't need to slaughter animals at all.

What about a plant that produces material that can be used as bone?
Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: July 21, 2014, 07:10:15 am »

Will bonecarving moods still trigger if the relevant reaction is removed from the pony entity?

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: July 21, 2014, 09:03:09 am »

I'll probably make two sets, so that people can have meat in adventure mode if they so desire

Also for those crazy people who want to play a griffin fortress.

Will bonecarving moods still trigger if the relevant reaction is removed from the pony entity?
I don't know.  Testing may be required unless someone already has the answer.
Dwarf Fortress.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: July 21, 2014, 05:36:05 pm »

Far as I know moods are hardcoded to use any skill/item. I looked into removing meat from butchery but it seems to be harder than I expected. I guess some self imposed restrictions will have to do for now.

Bad news is that pegasi have a tendency to pathfind through tree branches and end up dropping their carried item up in the tree. Only solution is to restrict treetops.
I'll probably release a new version tomorrow, tho the current one should work with 40.04

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: July 22, 2014, 05:04:31 pm »

MLF2014 40.04 tested RAWs, extract to a fresh DF install.
Note that this does edit most of the creature files and is not compatible with creature graphic tilesets that straight up overwrites these files.

Code: [Select]
CHANGELOG:
16-20/07/2014 - migrated to 40.04

Various Minor fixes, mostly feature planning.
Leather has been reduced to a single type, but I left butchery and meat in (for now) due to unforeseen issues with removing it.

15/07/2014

Modified pony bodies a bit again. should be less endless mouthpunching.
Added wings to griffons, because they have those...

14/07/2014

Tweaked Orientation tag a smidgen to share the love :)

13/07/2014 - migrated to 40.03
------------

Removed Animal Men
added chimera
modified creature_standard to include breezies, sea ponies and fabulously moustached sea serpents among other things.
fix chimera snake head being a head

12/07/2014 - bugfixing on 40.02
------------

Tweaked populations and starting biomes, added more breeders to changelings - tested OK, griffins and changelings actually breed now.

to do/next up:
Changeling Interactions
Leather/Meat
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 05:22:52 pm by Sorcerer »

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: July 22, 2014, 06:57:08 pm »

Bad news is that pegasi have a tendency to pathfind through tree branches and end up dropping their carried item up in the tree.

My brother made a race of Winged Dragon People who had this same problem so it's a problem with flying path finding in general.

Leather has been reduced to a single type, but I left butchery and meat in (for now) due to unforeseen issues with removing it.

You'll still be making a version that has the full leather and meat production capabilities still intact correct?
Or do I just need to not copy over some creature files to make it so I have full access to all leather types?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 07:01:51 pm by Phenoix12 »
Dwarf Fortress.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 81