Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 81

Author Topic: My Little Fortress - 2016 (DF 0.43.04) yay!  (Read 179695 times)

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress - 2014 (DF 0.40.19)
« Reply #960 on: January 18, 2015, 03:50:10 pm »

Hmmm, that sounds pretty unlucky if i remember the ratios correctly, you should get predominately drones

Shadow_Hornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: January 18, 2015, 04:47:19 pm »

The 7 I had before I made it so the breeders could move were about 3 or 4 breeders and the rest were drones or soldiers.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: January 19, 2015, 12:39:47 am »

Just found a Marsh Titan with the line "It's a large cog scales are blocky and overlapping." in its description. I think you might have broken something. Also, you might want to go through the language files, I've encountered this before, but one of the biomes in this world is named ", 'The Steppe of Suns'", so that's a handy example.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: January 19, 2015, 01:00:58 am »

"large cog" is a color because that's how the cutie marks have to be made

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
  • Mysterious Transmissions
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: January 19, 2015, 01:37:40 pm »

I wonder if I could make the changelings possible to play as if I somehow got them to use the buildings and skills that the ponys use?

If that would work then I wonder how hard it would be for me to do. I never really did much modding of dwarf fortress before. If it could work then I think I would give it a shoot and see where I end up.

There is something about the changelings that makes me want to play as them, and also being attacked by ponys would be fun too.

I actually did make Changelings a playable race for my own personal use, though the RAWs are now out-of-date.
I also did tweaking to their civ and creature raws to make them more to the style I prefer.

Probably should be some better way to handle cutiemarks or at least get them to not to be part of normal color selection for anything non-pony.

Now onto my personal thoughts of things!

I remember a while back you removed leather types (basically making all leather just leather instead of specific leathers for species) and I can't for the life of me remember why (or if you undid it or not)
Personally I hope you undid it or that it’s easily undoable because I do feel like that kind of takes away a big chunk of the flavor of things. Because a leather bound book of the secrets of life and death is far less interesting then a unicorn leather bound book of the secrets of life and death.

Consolidation of unique material types into a generic material just take away from the game. (Also I’m pretty sure most of those material types have different properties in comparison to others.)  That’s my two cents take it if you wish.
Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: January 19, 2015, 03:07:59 pm »

The leather removal was twofold
Firstly.. Ponies don't generally skin other animals, the butchery labor doesn't actually give anything (and now that we have gelding we don't really need the building at all!)
secondly, clutter, having enemies show up with one gibbon leather shoe, one giant sloth leather shoe, a beaver leather thong, a muskox leather left glove, a walrus leather right glove, a horse leather chestplate and a peach faced lovebird man leather hat doesn't really add flavor..
They are all EXACTLY the same material, except for the name, and each instance costs valuable memory space.

Shadow_Hornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: January 19, 2015, 07:28:09 pm »

I was guessing one of the reasons for just one kind of leather was for memory reasons so we can speed up the game a little.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: January 19, 2015, 09:48:03 pm »

Reducing the number of types of Leather and Wood also improves FPS quite a bit - Look at Masterwork or Accelerated Dwarf Fortress to see the difference it can make.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: January 19, 2015, 10:53:37 pm »

Probably should be some better way to handle cutiemarks or at least get them to not to be part of normal color selection for anything non-pony.

Nono, when I say "have to be" I mean it. There is no better way to handle them and there is no way to exclude them from normal color selection. What you see is the best case.

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: January 20, 2015, 02:24:27 pm »

Woo! I came back 20 days later and there's activities! :D
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: January 20, 2015, 04:23:48 pm »

The leather removal was twofold
Firstly.. Ponies don't generally skin other animals, the butchery labor doesn't actually give anything (and now that we have gelding we don't really need the building at all!)
secondly, clutter, having enemies show up with one gibbon leather shoe, one giant sloth leather shoe, a beaver leather thong, a muskox leather left glove, a walrus leather right glove, a horse leather chestplate and a peach faced lovebird man leather hat doesn't really add flavor..
They are all EXACTLY the same material, except for the name, and each instance costs valuable memory space.

Okay I love this mod and I shall accept the reduction of leather types for memory purposes … but the one thing that I still don’t like is the removal of the industry entirely.  Because there are other races that exist other than ponies.  When I play ponies I don’t create any mean or leather industry buildings but if I say wanna play adventure mode (as say a griffin) and find out that butchering an animal for food gives me nothing I can eat, it sort of breaks the mod for me.  And I’m lazy so when I get the mod I don’t really want to have to go back though and hit it with a hammer until meat works again.
I know this mods main focus was ponies but you do have to think about the other races and such also. (I like to make Changelings playable and dick around with them sometimes)

And there’s better ways to prevent ponies from using the industry (if my thoughts are correct) then just stripping it out of the core game itself.  Just remove the permitted job and reaction from the entity files and tweak their ethics to prefer to not kill animals. (Maybe set to ‘extreme reason’ would be good) This SHOULD prevent the pony civs from naturally producing leather and meat products. (Now that probably won’t prevent players from doing it in Fortress Mode (...i think...) while playing as ponies so we (the players) would need to take the extra challenge to refuse to create or use those jobs/buildings) (Also it won’t stop the civ from being able to import the stuff from civs that do produce it, like say griffins. But that's all good.)
Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: January 20, 2015, 04:49:30 pm »

It should, but doesn't
As long as the Tanning labor is enabled the tannery building is available and/or the reaction to make leather is active the Civ has full access to leather regardless of ethics. The fact that these buildings are also hardcoded means DfHack is the only way to remove them in this way.
Generated Ponies will trade, wear and carry leather items with impunity.
All core DF features are still covered in the current version, Fleece is considered Leather for leather items and moods, bones is available from butchering, since that's actually not possible to remove.

This mod is also not made to really be compatible with adventure mode, that was WAY out of my scope when I initially started this.
It's delivered as is, with full rights of everyone who can be arsed to change or add whatever they may want to their game, and share with the thread, and I've  implemented a bunch of changes people have made to the "official" build when I've been too busy to actually update the damn thing myself :P

If you want to play with butchery enabled, it's fairly easy, just don't overwrite any of the default materials and tissues I include with the mod, and re-add the buildings and reactions to the entity file.

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: January 21, 2015, 12:53:14 pm »

It should, but doesn't
As long as the Tanning labor is enabled the tannery building is available and/or the reaction to make leather is active the Civ has full access to leather regardless of ethics. The fact that these buildings are also hardcoded means DfHack is the only way to remove them in this way.
Generated Ponies will trade, wear and carry leather items with impunity.
All core DF features are still covered in the current version, Fleece is considered Leather for leather items and moods, bones is available from butchering, since that's actually not possible to remove.

This mod is also not made to really be compatible with adventure mode, that was WAY out of my scope when I initially started this.
It's delivered as is, with full rights of everyone who can be arsed to change or add whatever they may want to their game, and share with the thread, and I've  implemented a bunch of changes people have made to the "official" build when I've been too busy to actually update the damn thing myself :P

If you want to play with butchery enabled, it's fairly easy, just don't overwrite any of the default materials and tissues I include with the mod, and re-add the buildings and reactions to the entity file.

Awesome sauce.

Really I don’t want to add in butchery and tanning to the pony races for use in Fortress Mode, just the races that would actually use it (like griffins) so that fix to get meat and leather working again is quite nice (if I ever decide to build a griffin fortress)

Really a lot of these problems with meat and leather industry for ponies are brought upon by the core game itself and the ethic systems not working to their full extent and such.  Really the only way to fix that is to wait until Toady updates ethics to work and effect civilization behavior better. Oh well!

Still hoping for an update that adds in dietary restrictions for creatures so that we can actually make the ponies vegetarians...  Improved eggs so Civs that have egg layers work better… Improved flight pathing so flying intelligent creatures don’t fuck up and drop stuff in trees… Really a lot of stuff needs to be updated and/or fixed in the core game itself for a lot of stuff in the mod to work in the exact way you’d want it to.

P.S. Is this mod currently combatable with 0.40.24?  I've been meaning to get the new raws so I can play in the new version but not sure if the link given on the first page is the 'current' version or not.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:20:12 pm by Phenoix12 »
Dwarf Fortress.

Shadow_Hornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: January 22, 2015, 02:23:08 am »

I was able to start a game using 0.40.24 with my changes to let me try using changelings. I can't really say much more than that at this point.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: January 22, 2015, 05:16:58 am »

It should in general be compatible with any 2014 version, as long as there are no RAW changes or additions to any of the files the mod changes.
Even then the only effect should be that the new changes won't be in, or in a very rare case, raw duplication (tho this is quite a catastrophic bug)
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 81