Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 81

Author Topic: My Little Fortress - 2016 (DF 0.43.04) yay!  (Read 178959 times)

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress: Losing is !!MAGIC!! (Formerly known as Fanon is Magic)
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 03:39:34 pm »

Yeah, I know I could have been more involved with the cutie mark files bit but i was doing 60 hour weeks plus commute at the time so my mind was off hiding in the recesses of my brain.

I've got a work in progress cutie mark class file Here. I've just been adding to it whenever I get an idea.
The numbers are a percentage of max chance to show up, so many of these will be quite rare, while others fairly common.
I guess the problem is adding enough of the common ones so that not half the fort is suddenly all farmers.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 04:04:28 pm »

I know, but still, it felt like the only dialogue between us on that front was:

"Hey man I am volonteering to build this entire thing by hand."
"Really? Thats great, thanks!"
"So what do you want added? What is the general direction you want to go here?"
"I don't know. Here is an applebucker and a cutiemark of a hamburger. You know what to do."

But alright alright, I am not going to linger on the subject.
I like the new setup, the classes are much more varied and it looks very neat and shiny.  :)
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 04:16:49 pm »

Hehe, I hope you realize I am still extremely thankful for the current system, and it's not because I don't appreciate your work I am planning to redo it. Quite the opposite, it was your work that inspired me to go ahead with a major rewrite, the file you made is so neat and tidy it looks like a walk in the park to add a bazillion new castes... Which is highly misleading ofcourse :P

There was one thing tho... The population rates didn't want to stick properly, so I had to go through the file and add pop rates to each class individually, gave me some more control too i guess, so it's not all bad. For some reason it seemed to just ignore the entire set of pop ratios, which meant that the ones i had individually specified to be lower, like the armyponies, were extremely prominent.. I had one embark where i had six blowgunners! all different colors (so at least now we know that works!)

Since there'll be a bunch of changes to creatures in the upcoming DF version, I am loathe to begin any major stuff now, but depending on how much time I have after this move I might just go ahead with it anyway. We'll see.

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 04:20:11 pm »

I believe the humans were the result going through the process of getting Lazy Newb to recognize My Little Fortress. Don't really know why since that only involves deleting everything in the DF folder that comes with it and pasting in everything from My Little Fortress. Genned a couple new worlds after doing a clean extraction and there aren't any humans in either.

Two things I noticed is that the ponies have dwarven names now. Or at least I think they are, I didn't play vanilla DF very long. Names like Nesteth Kobiddor, Sushsath Kozithina, Katdir Tunuredtul. Stuff along those lines. Also I'm not sure if this is right or not, I remember seeing actual pony sprites in a screenshot of Stonesense, but when I run it now I usually only get a name or if I'm lucky a P when a pony is supposed to be there. Not sure if that's how it's supposed to be or a graphics file got misplaced.

EDIT: Found this to be odd that a pony with an operating scalpel cutie mark was a skilled thresher and miller. It's fun doing mental gymnastics to try and have that make sense.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 04:25:49 pm by Indigo_Surprise »

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 04:38:53 pm »

Yep, with the military castes being shared with all three races of pony the chance of military classes appearing were by default much higher than those of other castes (since all castes shared the same pop ratio and chance to appear).
Not something I had taken in consideration, my bad.

I believe the humans were the result going through the process of getting Lazy Newb to recognize My Little Fortress. Don't really know why since that only involves deleting everything in the DF folder that comes with it and pasting in everything from My Little Fortress. Genned a couple new worlds after doing a clean extraction and there aren't any humans in either.

Two things I noticed is that the ponies have dwarven names now. Or at least I think they are, I didn't play vanilla DF very long. Names like Nesteth Kobiddor, Sushsath Kozithina, Katdir Tunuredtul. Stuff along those lines. Also I'm not sure if this is right or not, I remember seeing actual pony sprites in a screenshot of Stonesense, but when I run it now I usually only get a name or if I'm lucky a P when a pony is supposed to be there.

EDIT: Found this to be odd that a pony with an operating scalpel cutie mark was a skilled thresher and miller. It's fun doing mental gymnastics to try and have that make sense.

First two bits are clearly a bug caused by the lazy newb pack, the pony civ entity is set to use the "equine" language file, which is written in english, second is probably because stonesense got confused when picking which sprite should go for the ponies. Try checking with a clean version of the mod to see if these two bugs persist.

Last error is probably and most likely a stupid mistake on my part where I must have accidentally confused a cutiemark and added it to the wrong set of color descriptors, something which happened a lot when I began nearing delivery of the system (at one point I had every military class after the Shield Expert jumbled and bumped down a tier, so swordsponies showed up with knives as cutiemarks, spearponies had swords and so on). I thought I fixed all those when I skimmed through and surgically removed anything out of order when I prepared the pony creature file for delivery but I must have missed it and it inevitably must have ended up in the latest release.  :(
Should be a very race occurrence though, I am absolutely certain that no more than 5 cutiemarks could possibly be out of place.

k, so I'll stop bugging around here and dragging the discussion on idly, take care Sorcerer.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 04:42:08 pm »

I deleted everything except for the mod archive file and extracted it into a clean folder. I'll try downloading the mod again in another folder though I don't see how that would be any different.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 04:50:02 pm »

They're using the dwarven language at the moment. One of the things on the To-Do list is a proper language file that generate more pony-sounding names.
If you prefer the English ones, there's a mod called df language unlocked which has the option of replacing the words with translated ones that should be able to tide you over.

I'd recommend just unzipping the mod to its own folder. Everything you need, and some things you don't is included :P

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 04:53:05 pm »

I knew something crazy was happening when I saw dwarf names again on a clean everything.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 05:00:12 pm »

Hehe, yeah, I had a bunch of problems with the un-logged worldgen crashes and beta testing showed a strange propagating historic figure crash, certain members of the civ would crash the game whenever their relationships were inspected, and as soon as they formed a relationship with someone else, they too were infected (judging from what little data i COULD see)

The end result was that I went back to a default slate, moved all pony items, materials and bodies to seperate files, and left pretty much everything else as-is. Which seems to have fixed the problem.
As I move forward I will gradually replace and improve the remaining stuff

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 05:07:45 pm »

I experienced a world crash as well genning a large map. I just chalked it up to running DF in addition to having too many tabs open while watching a video on Youtube. Oh well, time to start the prep work for the mod showcase. Hopefully I can show off creating an oasis in a desert with the cloud factory. I've never bothered with clouds before and I hope I can show the system off well enough.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 05:12:07 pm »

Yeah, the large worlds are still quite a bit harsh to generate.. the fact that the pony creature file is six times larger than all humanoids in the standard game doesn't exactly help :P
Medium Worlds tend to generate fine for a few hundred years at least, which will increase the supply of various plants.

The weather factory is one I've tested fairly extensively, but never really had the chance to PLAY with, so I'd love to hear your feedback on how it works out!

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2012, 05:38:31 pm »

I'm getting world-gen crashes in my own mod too, I can't gen anything bigger than Small or it crashes within the first 20 years of history.  No idea what's causing it.

Downloading to play with!

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 07:26:32 pm »

I actually had time and the desire to PLAY the game for a change instead of just testing various systems. And of course I found a bug!
Currently the Magic Loom research isn't completely working as it should, but you can actually build the loom with ANY tool (including a single research page) so it's not a HUGE issue.

Deathseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2012, 05:59:24 am »

Just a heads up, when trying to research either the Light Clouds, Heavy Clouds, or the Cloud Harvesting it just gives you a random tool instead of the schematics you want.
I narrowed it down to the fact the reaction calls for giving you the item [PRODUCT:100:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_SCHEMATIC_HARVEST_CLOUD:NONE:NONE:NONE] When the item itself is actually [ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_SCHEMATIC_HARVEST_CLOUDS]
Notice the extra S?  ;)
Checked all of them, it's the same for all three
Excellent work on the mod though, truly commendable.

Another bug I haven't been able to figure out:
Some of my ponies like some very interesting colors.  One "likes the color a dancing human skeleton", another "likes the color a cloud in a bottle", and a third "likes the color the clear night sky" 
I think it might have something to do with cutiemarks being considered a color, but beyond that I'm lost on that system.
I have seen the future, it does not include you.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2012, 06:02:28 am »

Whoop, nice catch, thought I had that stuff sorted :/

The strange color preferences is unfortunately an unavoidable side effect, as all the cutie marks are listed as colors, and "cutie mark" is actually the skin of their backsides renamed and colored :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 81