Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 81

Author Topic: My Little Fortress - 2016 (DF 0.43.04) yay!  (Read 180807 times)

Asssasin Asha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress: Losing is !!MAGIC!! (Formerly known as Fanon is Magic)
« Reply #360 on: February 14, 2013, 04:58:50 pm »

Still not seeming able to get anywhere with the crystal forge research even after turning on furnace operation, the smithing labors, gem setting and gem cutting. :/
Do you have five crystal shards? They are a required ingredient.Derp, wrong reaction. Correct question. Do you have architecture turned on? It's a building and therefore it's required.

Hmm... seems like the original project for research was much more complicated if the names in those reactions are anything to go by. Separate tomes for different skills? That would be much more complex. I like that idea. I wonder is there a way to do it...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 05:02:25 pm by Asssasin Asha »

taliakirana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 14, 2013, 06:46:10 pm »

Researching the crystal forge takes two tomes, the gem-setting skill and architecture skill.

There's a small bug with one of the crystal forge's reactions... the reaction to make a crystal mace actually produces a short sword instead. This is what it should actually look like:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm planning to use crystal armor and maces for the fortress guard and that's how I ran across the bug. (Rank and file military can do fine with steel. Or ironwool for my archer squads.)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 14, 2013, 07:00:11 pm »

Just downloaded this a couple days ago, and I've been having a ton of fun!  I like the tools/challenge of building a wooden, above-ground fort, and the research requirement for most of the mod-specific builds is something far different than Vanilla.  I also have to say I really love the odd-sized buildings like apple trees/q control, the bigger-than-average weather factory and library, and the truly massive Rainbow Refractor I've just gotten around to building.

A few things to note...

3: This might be based on the graphic packs, but some of the likes on the thoughts screen seem a bit scrambled up...
Spoiler: like this (click to show/hide)

cutie marks are all colors in the files

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 14, 2013, 11:03:04 pm »

Okay now I'm stumped with crystal forging. It says I need a tome called 'crystal shard' as a reagent? I thought this meant I need to make a shard in the forge but nothing is unlocked yet so.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 15, 2013, 02:22:13 am »

you need fuel to turn gems into crystal shards, which along with tomes let you unlock doing things with the crystals -- the "Crystalize an X value Gem" reactions are what you're looking for: they consume fuel and a gem to make one or more crystal shards.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 15, 2013, 02:30:46 am »

you need fuel to turn gems into crystal shards, which along with tomes let you unlock doing things with the crystals -- the "Crystalize an X value Gem" reactions are what you're looking for: they consume fuel and a gem to make one or more crystal shards.

I have fuel and cut sard which is supposed to be a low value gem but the labor inside the crystal forge is still red and when I hit enter it says 'reagents: gem_low_value item'. Not entirely sure what's going on since I definitely have a bunch of sard and sardonyxes lying around.
---------------
My bad, I didn't have fuel after all. For some reason my brain was locked on the fact I had a bunch of ash but that doesn't work as fuel. :D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 02:47:18 am by zlurker »

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 18, 2013, 03:23:33 am »

Just got to the point of making steel and I was looking at the armor I can make with it which leads me to wonder whether I'm supposed to make breastplates, mail barding or both? Also, do horseshoes provide armor? Oh, and what about shields? The only thing ponies seem able to carry are bucklers.

taliakirana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 18, 2013, 09:19:48 pm »

I'm also not real clear about all the armor pieces.

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 19, 2013, 02:10:41 pm »

Anybody know how to edit the monarch raws so they show up earlier? I got my population capped at 60 so I wanted to make it that the princess arrives since I don't enjoy having to deal with any more ponies than that. Any higher and it's just like trying to herd caffeinated two-year-olds.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 20, 2013, 12:54:49 am »

Something I've noted: Pegasi seem to be a little touched in the head.  Maybe it's flyer pathing, but... well, a familiar bug from vanilla is "Dwarf cancels construct building: creature blocking site" when they try to build a wall, statue, window, or other movement-blocking building on top of themselves for some stupid reason, at which point the build needs to be cancelled and re-ordered because every builder who tries thereafter will do the same thing otherwise. 

Pegasi do this ALL THE TIME.  It happens very rarely with Earth Ponies and Unicorns (I've yet to see an alicorn to test my hypothesis that it's the flying), almost to the point where they seem smarter about it than dwarves, but I've been sorely tempted to rename one of my pegasus masons "Ditzy Doo" or "Derpy" because of how far she's delayed some of my projects by building on top of herself over and over and over...  If she weren't legendary, I'd disable her masonry, and in fact I've started picking grounded ponies preferentially for labors that involve building constructions.

I have to say, though, I'm doing this error reporting because I'm REALLY enjoying this mod.  I'm not a good modder, but I hope that if the originator is MIA as was mentioned a couple comments back, someone takes this up and keeps it going.

RE: Armor.  I've noticed the lack of proper shields too.  It looks like buckler or bust.

RE: Monarch.  I believe the arrival conditions are hard-coded.  you can change the 'arrival' conditions for Land Holders (Baron, Count, Duke), but I see no details in the pony entity entry that determine
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 20, 2013, 01:17:26 am »

Makes me tempted to copy over the other shield stuff from regular dwarves. Would that require me to make a new world?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 20, 2013, 02:03:10 am »

In order to allow ponies to make them, yes, you would.  I'm not positive, but I think the game is able to load new items that are added after a world gen.  The problem is that the entity file defines what items a civ has access to, and that file for the most part can't be changed without a regen.

An alternative is to hijack an existing reaction to produce the proper shield, after you've copied the shield raws over.  It's a bandaid that I'd avoid if possible though.

As far as armor goes, this mod is different from the other older pony mod, so I'm not sure how it works here.  In that mod there were armor pieces that corresponded to those used by dwarves but with different names.  I believe Sorcerer changed it so that this mod uses a simplified scheme somehow.

As far as him being MIA, he said he was very busy so one can hope he'll pick it back up soon.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 20, 2013, 02:28:34 am »

If it wasn't for already being in my current fort for about 4 years now I'd be more inclined to just make a new one though I might just try the thing of modifying an existing reaction instead. Maybe the mail armor one since I don't seem me using it.

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 21, 2013, 12:48:25 am »

Can you add the tame tags to creature raws after you've already started a game? I know it says you generally don't need to make a new world if you're just modifying existing stuff so I was curious.

zacoda1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 21, 2013, 09:24:33 am »

So how do I get the apple sorting station to work? I have ponies applebucking, and the apple sorting station is set to sort, but it's just not doing anything/not being used.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 81