Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 81

Author Topic: My Little Fortress - 2016 (DF 0.43.04) yay!  (Read 178948 times)

Lukander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress - 2014 (DF 0.40.xx)
« Reply #825 on: July 28, 2014, 07:23:20 pm »

If the question about the square-cube law involves its current representation in game(and thus survivability). Then Urist Da Vinci's bit on DF combat mechanics(in his modding material properties thread) shows that the area calculated for striking a BP(and thus it's tissue layers) verses the volume follow the square-cube law. At least in the last version armor and clothing didn't though(hence giant clothing was super-protective even if made of weak materials, bad volume numbers). I know that armor made for a larger body size is more protective on smaller creatures(if wearable). Because the armor maintains it's volume relative to the creature's base size it was made for; while recalculating area to match it's current wearer.

P.S. The higher survivability verse head-shots is the norm in 40.X(the average [SKULL] is larger now, and therefore tougher). Its been noted in vanilla DF(the new neck part though.. that's the new soft spot in vanilla. Neck stabbing/slitting has become adventure modes go-to move).

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: July 29, 2014, 04:30:12 pm »

Yeah, this seems to be the case, and increasing the skull sizes even more would make them even thicker... I'll look into a b_detail plan maybe if this is a huge issue.

I've noticed that a slashed jugular will usually lead to death no matter how badass you are, it only changes how many turns you last before you bleed out.

Today I mostly worked on reactions but i did have an idea for spells.

It should be possible with the DFPlugin interactions to do minor changes to the ponies, perhaps it may be possible to add the ponies spell knowledge to the description file using our old friend the color descriptor.

"Her (horn skin) Knowledge of Defensive Spells is (the color) Excellent"

taliakirana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: July 29, 2014, 06:34:56 pm »

Look at this... might want to ask if you can borrow from this. It adds some reactions to make it possible to get fruit from the vines and stuff in fort mode. I know you won't want the alcohol stuff, but I think some of the other fixes would be useful.

Lukander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: July 30, 2014, 10:59:13 am »

Besides the jugular be a weak point, the new neck part(basically the spinal column in the real neck) is a key weak point. severely damaging it(especially to the point of destroying it) can make a creature a paraplegic, makes the other 'neck' parts vulnerable to pulping and severing(decapitation) etc. This part in vanilla DF is vulnerable to punching (obviously using a weapon is better though); and accounts for a number of unarmed kills... Well, this is just something to think about if combat seems a little anomalous at times.
Ooh, and plate armor (specifically steel and adamantine) is more resistant to ranged attacks(very, very resistant) in vanilla. This is due to fixing bow/crossbow max velocity and fixing a internal rounding error for arrow/bolt wt. calculations(for attack purposes) etc.

Eh, pardon the info-dump. Good luck on the reactions!

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: July 30, 2014, 11:39:11 am »

Infodumps are great, I can't have perfect clarity of everything going on in DF, and getting a heads up of "issues" like this is great for making design decisions :P

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: July 30, 2014, 05:26:31 pm »

Today I cleaned up the color mods for the ponies. Removed some silly colors (chartreuse? Really?) and the Mass copied stripe patterns. No replacement patterns for now, but I'm working on it. I also fixed most of the error log, but there's still one caste out of 1077 with a bugged color mod. No idea how to find it o_O

Lukander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: July 30, 2014, 05:38:44 pm »

bugged in the sense that you can find it in the error log or just wonky and not in the log?(to clarify is it: missing, mismatched in the sense that it won't be interpreted by the RAW parser, or mismatched in the sense that it's parsed and accepted but unwanted. The first two will show in the errorlog.txt)

If you just want to find it in one of the RAWs a cntrl+F search in notepad should find it(I have the feeling you already know notepad search, but just in case).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 05:41:42 pm by Lukander »

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: July 31, 2014, 07:57:04 am »

I have 1077 castes that all have the same or similar hair and tail color (putting this in the caste:all makes everyone identical) and i get ONE error log that says "the color descriptor ending with (1,) was not used"

Lukander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: July 31, 2014, 12:01:03 pm »

Well off the top of my head in descriptor_color_pony.txt you have:

Code: [Select]
[COLOR:1]
[NAME:mysterious]
[WORD:BLACK]
[RGB:0:0:0]
are any of the castes calling that color descriptor?

because even with cntrl+F search I so far can't find a instance of 1: as a color in creature_pony_pony.txt, so far...

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
  • Mysterious Transmissions
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: July 31, 2014, 02:27:06 pm »

Not sure if I did something wrong in moving over or what
But I put the mod into the newest version 40.05 and I get the strangest error.
I end up with a random Forgotten Beast Civ mixed in with the rest.
Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: July 31, 2014, 02:39:11 pm »

Good old duped raws.  Do you see anything useful in your error log?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: July 31, 2014, 03:16:17 pm »

Good old duped raws.  Do you see anything useful in your error log?

Actually... no

Besides a few errs concerning pony colors not being used among a few other random things
Dwarf Fortress.
The only game where throwing babies into a pit with crazed dogs will be considered a beneficial concept.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: August 01, 2014, 02:55:32 am »

ooh, i never noticed that mysterious black was called 1, that HAS to be some sort of bugfix on nido's part, i considered doing the same at some point XD

I've actually not have had much time testing the dwarf mode itself, I'll give that a go later today and see if I can duplicate your duped raws issue.

Phenoix12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: August 01, 2014, 04:00:30 pm »

I fixed my issue already.
Turns out when I moved all the required files over to the new version of DF I forgot to get rid of the creature_fanciful file which seemed to have caused the problem.

I also did a few changes with the raws in my personal version.  Such as removed some of the animal men you missed and changed the size of many of the mod's races to see how it would work.

I played a game of Fortress Mode with ponies.
Only lasted little over a year before a tantrum spiral took down the town. (Brought on by one random crazed animal murdering several ponies before they took it down)
It was brutal, my woodworker literally went ax crazy on everypony else.
Only survivors were the ones who could outrun him and the pegasai.
All in all a normal game.
Dwarf Fortress.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: August 01, 2014, 04:50:12 pm »

I did leave some animal men in on purpose, things that were not horribly out of place, the game has a tendency to freak out a bit if it can't find creatures to fill available biomes.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 81