Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What the hell is wrong with Marks-dwarfs?  (Read 2344 times)

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What the hell is wrong with Marks-dwarfs?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 09:43:08 pm »

Thanks.

This may be a little off topic, but: Currently I'm trying to keep all my dwarfs inside my fortress while leaving a small passage full of traps. Is there any way I can set a "No matter what, no one may enter this passageway" tag to this area? my dwarfs are constantly waltzing outside picking up random junk, even though I've set a restricted traffic tag to the hallway.

Any way of doing this without having to constantly activate or update the area of a burrow would be extremely helpful!  :D

The restricted setting doesn't actually prevent dwarves from pathing to the location, all it does is up the tiles' weights when determining the path a dwarf will take (I believe the defaults are: High:1 ; Normal:2 ; Low:5 ; Restricted:25). That is to say, if you have a dwarf with two potential paths between a pair of points where the first path is twenty tiles long and undesignated and the second is only two tiles long but has been designated "Restricted," then the dwarf will choose the first path because it's shorter (40 compared to 50).

It does *not* prevent dwarves from pathing into or through an area.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
Re: What the hell is wrong with Marks-dwarfs?
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 12:01:35 am »

Yes, restricted only makes the dwarves see the path as longer, not inaccessible.  If it's the only path, it's the shortest by default. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."
Pages: 1 [2]