Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: So I went to embark...  (Read 15121 times)

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I went to embark...
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2012, 06:28:18 pm »

DAMN YOU, SCAN-TRON!!!!

Snorunt30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2012, 07:46:54 pm »

Can I get a rundown of what exactly happened? My assumption is a shallow HFS...
No. Duplication of the raws occured, then DF went mad and started tossin rock at a paint board. Thats what happens if you dupe raws. Shit occurs. Reality warping shit that would make a acid trip seem logical.
I still don't get some of the photos... Am I just that bad at DF that I don't get it? Or am I just too stupid to get it? ???
Well, basically I flipped the world inside out :P, slade being the overworld, and clay somehow being hell, and in the second test candy was common on the overworld yet still made the tubes (and slade was still hell). Though does anyone have any idea why hell was clay in the first one? ???
Will be interesting if I go to mod animals at some point later and end up making the circus wander overland and cows and such in hell. Though that would make for a very bad place to embark (or very fun, depending on how you look at it :P)
Honestly surprised I didn't screw it up enough before to cause something as amusing as this.
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2012, 07:55:20 pm »

Do something awesome like everything overworld be in hell and everything in hell be in overworld! :P Make for a cool sucession fort 8)
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Snorunt30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2012, 10:14:19 pm »

Do something awesome like everything overworld be in hell and everything in hell be in overworld! :P Make for a cool sucession fort 8)
Give me a few more days, maybe I'll make one more screwup that makes animals switch spots :P (since overworld is already underworld in the save, clay is hell, that may change region to region however as I haven't checked nearby areas and not quite sure why it chose clay of all the items) and there is surface veins of slade, and you can buy slade on embark for 3 points ;))). If you want to take a look I posted the embark (be warned, it does reanimate, and quite frequently at that...) and the world prior to embark :P. And its year 2, be warned the already embarked one has 100 dwarves since there would be next to no migration (and i wanted to rise quickly to mountain-home and what not), and to think all this was caused by the one duplicate lol

Snorunt30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2012, 07:14:25 pm »

I realize that this is a necro of sorts :-X (better than reviving it in, say a month from now I suppose), but thought it was relatively pertinent to this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If I understand correctly this is evil fog/rain, but here's the real question, how did they manage to actually barrel it up without dying :o. And unfortunately the original fort made by this (set of raws) is over run with zombies (and by that I mean ~150 dwarf bodies/undead, and even higher amounts of un-dead animals that I brought for food on each reclaim, death was instant as soon as you reclaimed, well for me at least (I'm very inexperienced with the military side of DF, even with playing for several months :-[)
Same raws  (removed aquifers from all dirt and stones though, flooding is not pleasant when your entire fort... is below the level flooded  :-[...)and whatnot, new world, and ~336 years in now
On a side note made no progress with demons (you can blame school for that though, giving me multiple essays and all to do  ::), that and not sure if they will be moved as easily as slade was, will make some attempt on this, this weekend and post any results I have, or anything peculiar that occurs because of it)
And what purposes could nefarious mist have in barreled form? In any case will be interesting since in the new fort there's a very nearby tower that will (likely) visit frequently, perhaps I can test dumping it on the visitors and see what happens  :P

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2012, 10:58:19 pm »

That sounds cool

Urist McGloveless cancels haul item: Too injured
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2012, 12:18:39 am »

Duping raws creates random effects.

Very often it creates unplayable worlds. Yours is a mild version of it. Often in worlds which are playable a game halting bug ends up appearing.

As discussed before - there have been many instances of cravans exploding - because they showed up with leather, which was boiling because of its native temp being off.

Dragons explode as well.

It can have lots of novelty value, but it often gets trumped by just modifying the raws the way you want directly.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2012, 02:26:09 am »

Just what does it mean to duplicate a raw? Do I have to have two copies of the .txt, or just double an entry?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2012, 02:31:02 am »

Just what does it mean to duplicate a raw? Do I have to have two copies of the .txt, or just double an entry?
The latter.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2012, 10:31:05 am »

i apologise, but I am sigging that.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2012, 02:40:16 pm »

When I duplicated raws, I played as humans who ate a food just named "cave fish woman" and when I dug into the caverns, there were giant hairy mites.
Like, fucking clusters of them. And they were all technically forgotten beasts.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Snorunt30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2012, 04:30:42 pm »

Duping raws creates random effects.

Very often it creates unplayable worlds. Yours is a mild version of it. Often in worlds which are playable a game halting bug ends up appearing.

As discussed before - there have been many instances of cravans exploding - because they showed up with leather, which was boiling because of its native temp being off.

Dragons explode as well.

It can have lots of novelty value, but it often gets trumped by just modifying the raws the way you want directly.
Well, so far no exploding dragons or boiling caravans (or anything crazily off)

As for being easier, it might be the case that it would be easy to do so, however the whole reason this occurred is because of how bad I am at modding (just look at it... one screw up and all this happened  ::))

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2012, 04:43:09 pm »

And things just got weirder   ???
someone's probably already mentioned it. but IIRC, if a violent ghost misses, a dwarf can counter and kill the ghost.
That is just sad. Imagine losing a fight while incorporeal.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:49:41 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2012, 08:49:19 pm »

i apologise, but I am sigging that.

Why apologise? Im glad you sig it.  :P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]