Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2012  (Read 17031 times)

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2012
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2012, 02:21:36 pm »

And so far as the profit, is it really less? From the research I've done, publishing through a traditional market will get you 10-20% royalties. On Amazon, you'll get 70%. Granted, you don't get an advance which could be painful. Still, most royalties are in the sub $10,000 range, so if you really do think that your book could do well, I think I'd personally rather go for a higher percentage over time.

And I don't know about removing it from Amazon, but one advantage that they have is that you keep the full license. So you can sell it on the other eBook sellers as well, such as iBooks / Google Books.

It probably says up to 70%. A 350 page print book (a normal sized book for the adult SciFi/Fantasy market) priced at as high as 12.99 (too high to be competitive), would only make $2.83 royalties off of Amazon, according to the CreateSpace royalty calculator. Maybe you're referring to a different publishing strategy, such as with e-books, so you'll have to clarify that for me.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 02:23:07 pm by inEQUALITY »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2012, 02:28:39 pm »

And so far as the profit, is it really less? From the research I've done, publishing through a traditional market will get you 10-20% royalties. On Amazon, you'll get 70%. Granted, you don't get an advance which could be painful. Still, most royalties are in the sub $10,000 range, so if you really do think that your book could do well, I think I'd personally rather go for a higher percentage over time.

And I don't know about removing it from Amazon, but one advantage that they have is that you keep the full license. So you can sell it on the other eBook sellers as well, such as iBooks / Google Books.

It probably says up to 70%. A 350 page print book (a normal sized book for the adult SciFi/Fantasy market) priced at as high as 12.99 (too high to be competitive), would only make $2.83 royalties off of Amazon, according to the CreateSpace royalty calculator. Maybe you're referring to a different publishing strategy, such as with e-books, so you'll have to clarify that for me.
Ah yes. I was talking about ebooks RE: Amazon. So I guess it is sort of an apples to oranges comparison, as I'm not actually sure what royalty a traditional publisher would give on ebooks (if they even offer that in all cases). In most countries, non-public-domain content on Amazon's ebooks is a flat at 70%.

Part of that is a personal bias, I read a lot, but I don't actually remember the last time that I read a paper book. They have a nice traditional feel to them, but I already carry around my Kindle / phone pretty much wherever I go, so the convenience factor of just randomly reading a chapter while waiting for something else to finish is too much to go back.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2012, 02:32:38 pm »

Ah yes. I was talking about ebooks RE: Amazon. So I guess it is sort of an apples to oranges comparison, as I'm not actually sure what royalty a traditional publisher would give on ebooks (if they even offer that in all cases). In most countries, non-public-domain content on Amazon's ebooks is a flat at 70%.

Part of that is a personal bias, I read a lot, but I don't actually remember the last time that I read a paper book. They have a nice traditional feel to them, but I already carry around my Kindle / phone pretty much wherever I go, so the convenience factor of just randomly reading a chapter while waiting for something else to finish is too much to go back.

Mind, I was talking about self-publishing; a traditional publisher will typically only net you 20% - 30% royalty at most, but they also do their best to sell thousands, if not tens of thousands, of copies. It may just take a long time if it's not well-received or marketed well.

I don't happen to have a Kindle or iPhone, so I have to rely on print and internet. I do read ebooks on my computer using a Firefox plugin, but I can't sit in one place long enough to read unless it's very compelling. Most of my reading, I have to do by borrowing books from a library, unfortunately.

teknoarcanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Check out this blag
« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2012, 02:36:38 pm »

EDIT: I did a little reading about Amazon self-publishing. It seems like it would take more work on my end, for less profit, but without rejection by a publisher getting in the way. So long as the contract allows me to retain all rights to my material, including the ability to cancel the availability through them at any time, I'm sold. My only issue is that even though I can end the publishing through them, I have a feeling most major publishers won't publish a book that's already been published in any other form, so if I go through a major publisher later, it would be with new material. At any rate, this is getting ahead of myself; I need to finish the novel first.  :P

Hell no!  You DEFINITELY make more self-publishing.

(Spoilertexting this post, because it's long as hell, and doesn't need to clog up the whole thread.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 03:18:52 pm by teknoarcanist »
I wrote a book about dwarfs!  You should check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Sounding-ebook/dp/B009XIRKEO

Fifty cents of every sale go to the Chelsea Hutchison Foundation, a non-profit organization which helps families affected by epilepsy.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 03, 2012, 03:50:49 pm »

6654 now. I guess my usually-bad habit of having all conversations involve people spitting out an entire paragraph at a time at each other is working for me. But there's fantasy for you.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 03:53:50 pm by Un67 »

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 03, 2012, 05:21:54 pm »

6654 now. I guess my usually-bad habit of having all conversations involve people spitting out an entire paragraph at a time at each other is working for me. But there's fantasy for you.

I haven't actually used much dialogue at all. As much as I want to hit my goal each day, I'm prohibiting myself from doing anything just to purposely hit a higher word count. I wish I could bring myself to do it, but my inner editor yells at me if I consider it.  :P

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 03, 2012, 06:15:39 pm »

Ehh, it's just how I write dialogue. It's not exactly intentional, but it ends up inflating my word count anyways.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 03, 2012, 06:34:20 pm »

Ehh, it's just how I write dialogue. It's not exactly intentional, but it ends up inflating my word count anyways.

Seems like I'll be hitting one of those scenes myself now, so I can't really say anything.  :P

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 03, 2012, 10:03:31 pm »

Yay.

Intro is done at 1130 words. I'm at least 4k words behind.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2012, 10:17:33 pm »

Finished at 5525 total. I like how I keep ending on nice whole numbers.

The bear situation is... well, more circumvented than resolved, but good enough. The characters just got on an elevator, hopefully I figure out what's at the bottom before I start writing tomorrow!

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 03, 2012, 11:05:54 pm »

The bear situation is... well, more circumvented than resolved, but good enough. The characters just got on an elevator, hopefully I figure out what's at the bottom before I start writing tomorrow!

Your story sounds like an interesting read from what I've read in your posts! Are you putting it up anywhere so others can read it? It sounds entertaining.  :P

As for myself, I had a slow start on Chapter 3, but it's progressing nicely. It's now just shy of 1800 words.

I feel like my writing has upped in quality for this chapter, now that the 'prologue' chapters are behind me and I'm getting into the beginnings of the meat of the story. It helps to finally have names put to characters instead of the vague references used in the first two chapters.

I have a little ways to go with this chapter, but I should be able to tie it up tomorrow if life doesn't get in the way, like it almost did today. I'm at a grand total of 7745 words, and well ahead of the curve. That's how I like it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 11:08:16 pm by inEQUALITY »

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #131 on: November 03, 2012, 11:15:29 pm »

A measly 479 words today, putting me about 700 behind overall. Not for lack of trying though. I wrote about 15,000 words over the past few days, but most of those went to my PhD qualifying exam. Now that that's done, I can put a little more time into this.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 03, 2012, 11:34:12 pm »

Your story sounds like an interesting read from what I've read in your posts! Are you putting it up anywhere so others can read it? It sounds entertaining.  :P

I don't know as it'll ever see the light of day, but certainly not before it gets edited to hell and back :P  I'm doing a pretty good job of not constantly rewriting things while I type, which does keep the story going but unfortunately means I cringe every time I have to reference something I wrote earlier. There's one bad stretch where I seem to have run out of synonyms for "quickly"...

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2012, 12:09:45 am »

Yay,

I reached 2403 words!

I'm half way to the current word count. Almost.

And I did it with no stupid padding.

Well chapter 1 did start with a recipe for sweet spaghetti but that's relevant to the story.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2012, 12:11:34 am »

Blargh.

I don't think I'll be entering this NaNoWriMo, because RL and stuff.

Well, God Speed all ye fellow writers!  :D
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15