Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2012  (Read 16976 times)

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2012
« Reply #165 on: November 07, 2012, 08:02:56 pm »

Actually broke 15k today thanks to a rather long-winded conversation about... seeds, and a military occupation. It somehow managed to take up a whole chapter.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 07, 2012, 11:01:10 pm »

5526 words,and only around 1500 today, but considering I started late, I don't feel too bad for three days.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 08, 2012, 11:34:29 pm »

It was scary starting today five thousand words below where I needed to be, but it was refreshing to knock out 3100-odd words to bring my total to 11319. On the one hand, that's still 2k below where I want to be (and it'll be 3.5k by tomorrow,) but on the other hand my "words per day to finish on time" is an entirely manageable 1682.

In terms of what's actually happening, they've gotten past the riddle door at the bottom of the elevator, through the trap guarding the quest item, and teleported out of the Dungeon of Easy Plot Advancement. Ideally, this would be a good point in the book to introduce a third character to provide new characterization opportunities for the main heroes as well as to reveal some more information on their unique relationship and overarching goals without resorting to "As You Know." Hopefully I can think of some goals to reveal and a character to introduce by the time I start writing tomorrow morning :P

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #168 on: November 09, 2012, 02:53:56 am »

Just about 2000 words today, but that's not quite enough to make up for less than 500 yesterday. I'm going to have to catch up a bit this weekend. Still, I'm doing a lot better about actually writing each day than I was last year. I think forcing myself to post each day online is helping.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #169 on: November 09, 2012, 04:40:08 am »

I knew I would never be able to keep up with this. :c All this monstrous progress.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 10, 2012, 09:47:44 am »

I'm up to 11,421, which having had three days this week where I wrote absolutely, positively nothing is actually better that I'd hoped.  Still want to crank out a couple of thousand more at least today, though.  :-\  Words per day required to finish on time is currently at 1,838.  I can bring that down.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 10, 2012, 10:00:41 pm »

I need to write 3k-5k words tomorrow if I wanna keep up. Not looking forward to that.

My word count will pick up once I get to the more interesting parts.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 10, 2012, 10:19:44 pm »

In spite of starting really late today and not really being interesting in what I was writing, I still apparently wrote 2426 words today, a good amount of which consisted of one of my characters essentially telling their life story. It wasn't exactly filler, but it wasn't exactly plot moving content either.

In any case, 21780 words. I really can't say that I'm enjoying how the story is going, I've got almost 30k left and I've almost exhausted what I have planned. I can draw out the segment of the story I am currently on over a couple of days, I think, and I have a few assorted ideas of what must be done in the next few days, but after that, I suspect that I might end up resorting to my favored tactic of last year, "make up random stuff to extend the plot to the final section".

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 11, 2012, 01:08:26 am »

I need to write 3k-5k words tomorrow if I wanna keep up. Not looking forward to that.

My word count will pick up once I get to the more interesting parts.

I was stuck for a solid day on a boring part, so I resorted to my new technique for dealing with that- skip ahead to the next interesting bit and write that. Not only has that kept my production up, but it has revealed that the part I was trying to write was not terribly important to the narrative- all the information I was going to introduce there I can reveal in passing as it comes up.

Didn't write as much as I wanted to- I'm at 14188, which is still a good 2k behind where I need to be. Fortunately, I've got an idea of where I want this little plot arc to go, and I've got what character I want to introduce pretty well formed in my head. Hopefully I can keep up a full head of steam the next few days here and try to narrow that gap.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 11, 2012, 09:38:40 pm »

24216 now. Nearing the halfway mark!  :D

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 13, 2012, 07:08:59 pm »

Un67 you're a shining beacon to the rest of us lagging behind :p Keep it up dude!

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 13, 2012, 10:46:21 pm »

Thanks for the kind words. I'm currently at 28910. Because this month is basically No-School November where I live, things are shaping up so that if I maintain my pace at around ~2300 per day I might actually find myself finished before Thanksgiving, which would be just awesome as the rest of month is going to be rather busy and I would actually be able to enjoy my Thanksgiving break.

This all however predicates on my ability to continue the plot, which might be a little complicated seeing as I have pretty much steamrolled past my initial planning and have been drawing out the last planned segment, with only a few fuzzy ideas to go on for chapters after this  ::)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 13, 2012, 10:46:50 pm »

Damn it. Should have started this when I got the chance :I

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 14, 2012, 01:07:34 am »

Argh falling so far behind... at 16100 words, aka 4+ days behind aka 7k words. My prospects of winning are looking bleak- hopefully I can catch up in the next couple of days here, since if I get into a situation where I need 2k a day it just isn't going to happen.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 14, 2012, 01:09:54 am »

I'm at 15k
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15