Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2012  (Read 16740 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2012
« Reply #180 on: November 14, 2012, 06:23:53 pm »

I need around 2k a day (13500-ish). Wish me luck.

EDIT: Good progress today. Hit the 2k, plus a tiny bit.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 10:05:10 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 14, 2012, 10:29:02 pm »

31066 now, though as of late a lot of my word count has come from long-winded diatribes of background information  :-[

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #182 on: November 15, 2012, 12:57:43 am »

And that puts me finally back on schedule. With a half chapter past what I've posted to my blog, I’ve got 23,463 words, just past the 23,333 I should have on day 14.

So far, my story has had a few strange turns and perhaps an inconsistency here and there, but that’s what you get for writing without a clear outline in mind. I’ve always known roughly where I wanted the story to go, but large parts of it come about as I go, such that I’m almost reading the story as well as writing it. It’s a lovely interesting feeling.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 15, 2012, 10:59:22 am »

I'm at 15k

I won't give up, if you don't give up.

I've got a rough idea of what happens next (something of a plot arc, even,) so let's see how far I can ride this train.

teknoarcanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Check out this blag
« Reply #184 on: November 16, 2012, 03:34:29 pm »

Around 15k.  Not even struggling--I know where the story is going, know all the characters, etc--it's just that there's only so fast I can write and still be comfortable with the quality.  I know nano is supposed to be about shutting off the quality senses and just going ape-shit on a first draft but.....neeehhhh......

Oh well.  I'll keep shooting for 50, but if I hit 30-40, I'll consider that a personal success.  The novella I just finished was about 50k, and that took me the better part of three months.  So 30-40k in one month would be a nice boost.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 04:35:56 pm by teknoarcanist »
I wrote a book about dwarfs!  You should check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Sounding-ebook/dp/B009XIRKEO

Fifty cents of every sale go to the Chelsea Hutchison Foundation, a non-profit organization which helps families affected by epilepsy.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 17, 2012, 12:42:24 am »

Got sick the first week which robbed me of all creativity, had a crapton of assignments for school, missed one meetup after another, and now I'm still at just over 2,000 words, looking at my crappy story and realizing that I have nowhere for it to go. Goddammit, another year or failure  :'(
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 17, 2012, 12:51:37 am »

Just broke 20k! Granted, I was supposed to do that five days ago, but whatever! Just had a nice long discussion about the relative merits of buying some ponies. I don't know as they'll actually get ponies, I'm debating having a duck follow them around the rest of the adventure instead.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #187 on: November 17, 2012, 01:12:04 am »

26,698. Made it through tonight's 1,667 in about an hour and I almost hate having to stop, but I really need to get some sleep.

I just had a discussion about how the gender of angels relates to physics (specifically the observer effect) and a fake psychic gone full tilt poltergeist for apparently no reason at all (and I'm only half sure where I'm going with it tomorrow!).

I think I've finally gotten to the point where the characters are taking on / coming into something of a life of their own and pushing forward the story rather than waiting for me to do it. Now I just have to see if I can keep that up for (at least) the next two weeks...

Linky if that managed to intrigue anyone. :)
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Eek-A-Mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 17, 2012, 03:59:21 am »

26447 here. I missed a day last week and have been gradually catching up. Almost back where I'm supposed to be :D. Hopefully I'll be able to use this weekend to get ahead a bit. I didn't really have an idea of how much plot I could fit into 50k words. I feel like I'll need at least another 50k after Nanowrimo is over to tie the plot together. This is a fun way to spend time.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 17, 2012, 10:39:27 pm »

38132, now nearing the home stretch :)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 17, 2012, 10:52:12 pm »

Wooo! You go, people!

I wonder where the stats page for past years and old novels is? I'd tell where I was on this day last year, but I can't find it.
e: Just kidding, found em. Day 17, I was at.. 29871 words. Sounds impressive, but my "novel" was really really terrible.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 10:53:58 pm by SirAaronIII »
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 17, 2012, 11:04:00 pm »

I don't think it could have been much worse than my last year's "novel", better described as "a long string of random encounters".

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 17, 2012, 11:15:07 pm »

And then they spend a lot of time getting down the cliff, it's tricky since it's tall and junk.

And that's how I skipped over Chapter Eight since I was bursting with ideas for Chapters Nine/Ten. Ripped off 2422 words of entering the city and describing the feeding habits of the vampire girl to bring my total to 22079. I don't quite need 2k a day, merely 1995, so I've totally still got a chance, Thanksgiving notwithstanding :P

“I didn't know she was an Outsider!” Lorrie protested. “This is why you shouldn't be all mysterious and vague when somebody asks a question about your backstory!”

I realized I had a plot hole, and that sentence fixed it. I don't know when she'll get a chance to deliver the line, but there was no way I was letting that one go to waste. Sometime after everyone goes to court, then.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 18, 2012, 02:16:07 am »

I don't think it could have been much worse than my last year's "novel", better described as "a long string of random encounters".
No, for serious, it was a Half Life Full Life Consequences fan-fanfic. Terrible... but fun to write at least.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 18, 2012, 09:35:46 pm »

I realized I had a plot hole, and that sentence fixed it. I don't know when she'll get a chance to deliver the line, but there was no way I was letting that one go to waste. Sometime after everyone goes to court, then.

Ah, you're sending your guys to court also? Admittedly, I just broke 20k today, but I might have a decent shot if I use this week well.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15