Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2012  (Read 16726 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2012
« Reply #195 on: November 19, 2012, 12:51:08 am »

I realized I had a plot hole, and that sentence fixed it. I don't know when she'll get a chance to deliver the line, but there was no way I was letting that one go to waste. Sometime after everyone goes to court, then.

Ah, you're sending your guys to court also? Admittedly, I just broke 20k today, but I might have a decent shot if I use this week well.

Yeah, I figured it would be a good change of pace from the constant dungeons and tombs they've been dealing with. Originally I was going to challenge the muscle guy to solve a problem without just punching it to death, but then the lawyer character got too many good lines in my head, so I think this chapter will just explore some more character backstory. Also the fact I just finished Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney might have something to do with the whole plot arc

Total is at 23332, which is nice and reversible. It's also how many words I was supposed to have four days ago, but whatever.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 20, 2012, 11:53:25 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
One of those days...

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 21, 2012, 10:11:53 pm »

48043. I've got the final battle against a horror from the void coming through a hole in the world and some epilogue left, I think. I'll be done tomorrow!  :)

Well, that's if I can be bothered to write on Thanksgiving when I just got Conquest of Elysium 3, that is.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 22, 2012, 02:53:00 am »

One of those days...

I love that gif.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #199 on: November 22, 2012, 06:16:26 am »

35,346 as of Day 21 (I finished before going to bed and before 6am so it totally counts!), so I'm still hanging in there. I keep oscillating between 500-700 word days and 2000-2500 words days. I guess I just have to hope that I can end the month with a few good days.

And I totally said that I would avoid a POV character getting knocked out during the story. For whatever reason, it always seems to happen.

Oops.

(In my defense, he just got shot. Twice. So unconsciousness seems a small price to pay.)

Also:
48043. I've got the final battle against a horror from the void coming through a hole in the world and some epilogue left, I think. I'll be done tomorrow!  :)
Holy crap. I'm barely on target and here you are more than 10,000 words ahead of schedule. How do you find the time?

(Also that sounds neat. Are you going to make it available anywhere?)
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 22, 2012, 09:14:17 am »

@Janus

I can't say that I try to do anything special in particular. Usually I just try to find around 45 minutes around the end of my day and then write 2000-2300ish words, which while not super quick is at least a fair clip above the par rate. As for the story, I dunno. The way I executed most of the story is a little... lacking. Mostly it's a matter of pacing and giving some parts of the story way too much weight and others not enough (mostly because when I got to the story I was running out of planned things so I stretched one subplot to cover at least half to story).

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 22, 2012, 11:37:55 am »

Usually I just try to find around 45 minutes around the end of my day and then write 2000-2300ish words, which while not super quick ...

Sounds super quick to me!

Last year, I think I was going at 1500/hour once I had built up a head of steam. 700-1000 for the first hour at most - and I hit 50k by the 24th November!

I'm slightly in awe ...  :)

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 22, 2012, 12:44:14 pm »

I dunno about that, I write in a really drawn out way. There's not as much substance as you might expect, and while there isn't any filler, strictly speaking, there are a lot of words that really don't say anything in and of themselves.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #203 on: November 23, 2012, 01:51:42 am »

Exactly 36,666 words completed as of Day 22. I may possibly have tweaked a sentence or two so that I would land exactly on today's target word count. For some reason it amuses me.

The last words of (mini-)chapter 58 came as a surprise even to me. Believe it or not, that's not who that character was originally going to be. But it works so much better than my original idea that I just had to roll with it.

@Janus

I can't say that I try to do anything special in particular. Usually I just try to find around 45 minutes around the end of my day and then write 2000-2300ish words, which while not super quick is at least a fair clip above the par rate. As for the story, I dunno. The way I executed most of the story is a little... lacking. Mostly it's a matter of pacing and giving some parts of the story way too much weight and others not enough (mostly because when I got to the story I was running out of planned things so I stretched one subplot to cover at least half to story).

That's a heck of a pace even so. I've managed to put out 2000 words in an hour a few times, but it's not something that I can consistently do. For example tonight I think I hit about 1000/hr. So none too shabby.

So far as long scenes, that's what December is for. Going back and cutting up those 50,000 words, making them even stronger. It's next to impossible to write a perfect first draft, but the entire point of NaNoWriMo is to write *something*.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 01:55:25 am by JanusTwoface »

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 23, 2012, 10:26:17 pm »

50423. Finally, it's done. The ending was a little lackluster, and the middle was rather drawn out, but overall I'd have to say that I did substantially better than last year. I actually managed to get through what I had planned, albeit with imperfect pacing, and there was no random stuff that I threw in when I ran out of ideas. My characters suffered quite a bit though, because my attention was rather divided with four co-MCs, and my plot and the sheer amount of stuff I had to bring in made everything a bit complicated so I think I may have skimmed over quite a few things that I had thought out. But I'm not going to complain about what I ended up with for a bit over three week's work.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 23, 2012, 11:45:22 pm »

Huzzah! I'm glad somebody in this thread won!

Spoiler: Congrats Un67 (click to show/hide)

In sadder news, it looks like I won't be winning this year. 29,184 thus far, and I need to average ~2600 a day to win, which isn't going to happen. I'll see how close I can get, though, and I like enough of what I've written that I'll definitely finish out the book. I'm just about done with the trial scene. I don't know how much I like it- it went on longer than I thought it would, and it's a lot of pages of the main characters not saying or doing much. Ah well, that's a problem for the editing phase- right now, I need to worry about whether to give my characters horses. I had a good bit of fun with it earlier, making fun of the various inaccurate horse tropes, but now that I've pointed out how much work it is to care for a horse I can't really ignore it. Current options are to give them horses and just be conscientious about it, give them horse-analogs like Chocobos where I can handwave inconsistencies as being the result of fantastic biology, or give the vampire girl a pet weasel or something to snack on and let them walk.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 25, 2012, 01:55:22 pm »

Yeah, probably not going to make 50k either, but if I pull off 40k, I'll be happy. It's kind of wierd, though. While I had wanted to write fight scenes all this time, the kind I backed into is the kind that I have practically no idea how to write. Playing America's Army might actually count as research in this case.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #207 on: November 29, 2012, 02:25:36 am »

Bam. 50,080 words.

At 4,923 words today alone (first half here, second half I'll post tomorrow), that was one heck of a finish. At least I don't have to worry about making sure I finish writing before midnight on Friday as I did last year. I'm sure it could still have counted, but this way I've already 'verified it'.

Unfortunately (or not), that doesn't mean I'm actually done. In the very first chapter, the priest confessed to three mortal sins. In (mini-)chapter 78, I think I'm just getting to the first one. I think the full thing will come in closer to 100k. Perhaps it's overly wordy, but that's what editing is for.

I know Un67 has also already finished (I'm still impressed at a full week early), how about anyone else? Anyone think they're going to make it just under the wire on Friday?

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 29, 2012, 04:08:14 pm »

Man, congrats. I can keep a relatively quick pace and do so very steadily, but I honestly don't think I could really push myself to do 5k words in one day  :-\

Eek-A-Mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 29, 2012, 07:32:37 pm »

It takes me forever to write--around 1.5 hours for 1k words. A lot of the time I find myself pausing and trying to figure out how the next scene/paragraph will pan out. I have 47k words so far. I'm planning on writing 2k tonight, and the rest tomorrow. Once Nano is over I'm going to spend some time outlining the rest of the story in more detail. Hopefully then I'll be able to write at a faster pace.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15