Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Going to simplify rocks, which of the following rock's values should i use for the generic rock?

Conglomerate
- 4 (23.5%)
Granite
- 5 (29.4%)
Dolomite
- 2 (11.8%)
Gabbro
- 3 (17.6%)
Alternative. Post in the thread about it.
- 3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: October 31, 2012, 06:58:28 am

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: (34.11) NanoTrasen Exploratory Team - RD mandates Sulphuric Acid 0/3  (Read 23656 times)

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.

Alrighty, thought i'd get to working on a proper mod that should hopefully see the light of day.

I pretty much suck at explanations, so bear with me. For those of you who have played or at least heard of Spacestation 13, this is basically a ground-based spin-off mod thing. For those of you not familiar with SS13, that link back there should give you an idea of what to expect, though keep in mind the page is based more on the chaos of /tg/station and Goonstation rather than the more serious RP of Baystation12.

With that out of the way, let's get on to the mod itself.

Since you cannot into space in DF, this mod will obviously take place on and under the surface. You'll assume the role of an AI overseeing a NanoTrasen Exploratory Team sent to establish an outpost on (insert planet name here). I'm basing this mainly on Baystation12's fluff and such, but i'll include certain stuff from /tg/station and Goonstation as well.

There'll be:

Plasma to dig out for the Scientists to work on.
Syndicate agents infiltrating the outpost to steal equipment or silently murder the team one by one.
Clowns for Security to robust.
Custom tileset using sprites taken straight from the game. Obviously they'll be smaller (most of them are 32x32, i'll be doing them at 16x16 18x18), but hey, you gotta make the most of what you're given.
Not just humans on the team, there'll be Tajaran, Soghun, and Skrell as well.
Cyborgs to order around.
Metroids to breed and then release upon the unsuspecting Scientists.
Xenomorphs to infiltrate the outpost and, you guessed it, silently murder the team one by one.
Hopefully some kind of tech tree with different tiers.
Deadly land-based cousins of the Space Carp. Because why not.
A distinct lack of Goonstation's "AI door. AI, DOOR DAMNIT. AI'S ROGUE, CARD IT AND BLOW UP THE BORGS!".

And more. Basically, if it's in SS13 then chances are i'll try to include it in some form or another.

That's pretty much it. I've only just started work on the mod so i don't have anything to put up for download, but we'll be watching our 2D spessmen groundmen murder eachother soon enough!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 07:04:34 am by 612DwarfAvenue »
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11) NanoTrasen Exploratory Team - RD mandates Sulphuric Acid 0/3
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 11:28:51 pm »

Green = done. Yellow = currently being worked on. Red = not done.

This doesn't list every little thing, just the main stuff.

TO DO:
Everything.

MORE SPECIFICALLY, in order of when it came to mind and was typed out:
Tileset.

Creature graphics set.

Simplify rocks and ores into generic stuff. Cuts down a bit on lag, and there's no way i'm making half a billion variations of a specific reaction if it comes to that.

Plasma, of course. And not the current weaksauce Plasma, but the terrifying skin-melting lung-destroying cloud of purple death we had back on the Luna. Ignite those chunks of raw Plasma at your own risk for the !!fun!! of it.

Stuff to use said Plasma for.

DEM FUKKEN SYNDIES. There'll be two kinds, generic ones that sneak into your fort and steal stuff and robust your dudes in the face, and the kind which are castes of the regular NT humans and have tags making them similar to vampires so they'll sneak around and kill people silently. I'm debating on how to handle the generic agents attacking the caste agents, the castes have to keep their cover but at the same time it's weird to think the generics would be constantly hostile to the castes. Maybe i'll have two different castes for the generics, one that attacks NT-caste syndies and another that doesn't... i don't know. Can any of you think of a good way to do this?.

Aliens (Xenos, Tajaran, Soghun, Skrell, Metroids, etc.). I gotta make the Tajaran, Soghun and Skrell as castes of humans. Pro: They'll be in fort mode and such. Con: There's one of two ways i can do this. I can either have them all be sterile, which will cause who knows what kind of trouble population-wise. Or, they can all breed with eachother, there's something i can try that might prevent that but if it doesn't work then you'll have to put up with Skroghun and Tajarmans.

The NT civ, plus tweaking the humans themselves.

Some kind of random events, in a similar vein to the syndrome clouds.

Figure out SS13's values for how much some materials are worth via getting cR values for coins in BS12, multiplying by how many coins can be made from a single 10-unit stack of material, and going from there. I've got the cR values, now it's just how many coins that can be made...

Weaponry.

Will add more as i think of them. This doesn't take up 100% of my free time by any means, but i'll still work on it as much as i can.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:09:25 pm by 612DwarfAvenue »
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 11:39:10 pm »

* Putnam presides over topic like a hawk, waiting to strike should a question be asked.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 01:23:35 am »

* Putnam presides over topic like a hawk, waiting to strike should a question be asked.

PREPARE YOUR ANUS. Here goes:

With Metroids, there's the thing with them splitting into two after they're fed enough to reach adulthood*. I've heard stuff like that is possible by dismembering a limb somehow and raising it like Necromancers do or something? How's that work?

*Speaking of, i've got an idea for how that could work. If i give them an attack interaction similar to what Werebeasts have in vanilla, would it be possible to make the attached syndrome affect them instead of the victim? If so, it will allow them to become adults a short time after draining someone.

And speaking of sucking blood, i'm trying to figure out a way to use seperate castes with certain Vampire tags to represent Syndicate agents in the team (i'll have seperate generic agents that steal equipment and such, i'm talking about agents in the team itself like in SS13). Is there any way to make them sneak around and kill people sans the bloodsucking part? Or will i have to put up with my Syndies exsanguinating the populace?

I've got more, but i can't remember them off the top of my head right now.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:18:06 am by 612DwarfAvenue »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 02:17:52 am »

Oh...oh god. I don't even know how to quantify how I feel about this sort of mod.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 06:00:43 am »

Oh...oh god. I don't even know how to quantify how I feel about this sort of mod.

That image is not entirely accurate. There won't be poo, Cryotubes or Air Alarms. Everything else is pretty much how most vanilla DF forts end up anyway, so you should feel right at home once this is ready for release :P.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 06:32:48 am »

Have you considered having facehuggers arrive, infect people (turning then into chestbursters, then xenomorphs) instead of just having xenomorphs show up?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 06:36:13 am »

Have you considered having facehuggers arrive, infect people (turning then into chestbursters, then xenomorphs) instead of just having xenomorphs show up?

Ah hell, Facehuggers had completely slipped my mind. Yep, i'll see if i can apply some syndrome wizardry and get Facehuggers in as well as having Xenos sneak in normally.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:14:00 am by 612DwarfAvenue »

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 07:03:03 am »

The mod is adorned with hanging rings of grief. It is decorated with rings of robustness. On the mod is an image of a singularity eating an engineer. The engineer is screaming "AI DOOR".
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 07:05:42 am »

:g Absorbing the disc.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 08:48:24 am »

With Metroids, there's the thing with them splitting into two after they're fed enough to reach adulthood*. I've heard stuff like that is possible by dismembering a limb somehow and raising it like Necromancers do or something? How's that work?

*Speaking of, i've got an idea for how that could work. If i give them an attack interaction similar to what Werebeasts have in vanilla, would it be possible to make the attached syndrome affect them instead of the victim? If so, it will allow them to become adults a short time after draining someone.

And speaking of sucking blood, i'm trying to figure out a way to use seperate castes with certain Vampire tags to represent Syndicate agents in the team (i'll have seperate generic agents that steal equipment and such, i'm talking about agents in the team itself like in SS13). Is there any way to make them sneak around and kill people sans the bloodsucking part? Or will i have to put up with my Syndies exsanguinating the populace?

1. Like that. They need to transform into a creature that has 3 parts: a grasp part, a part that connects the grasp part to the upper body, and an upper body. The connector part needs to boil. You can then animate the grasp part, then transform it.

2. It would be better if you used a tennis interaction--the metroid gives an enemy the ability to use the interaction that transforms the metroid and lets the metroid revive its clone.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 08:44:08 pm »

1. Like that. They need to transform into a creature that has 3 parts: a grasp part, a part that connects the grasp part to the upper body, and an upper body. The connector part needs to boil. You can then animate the grasp part, then transform it.

2. It would be better if you used a tennis interaction--the metroid gives an enemy the ability to use the interaction that transforms the metroid and lets the metroid revive its clone.

1. So, transform into placeholder creature with a hand that falls off, then raise and transform the hand and the placeholder into young Metroids?

2. Sounds a bit roundabout. How's it better compared to giving the Metroid the interaction?

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 09:10:42 pm »

Urist McCyborg cancels job, AI malfunction

Urist McCyborg has gone bezerk!

Is this what you want to make?
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 11:32:51 pm »

1. Yes.

2. Interaction modding of this kind is always roundabout because we don't have enough usage hints and counter triggers for all the things we need to do. Just giving the metroid the interaction will make it either use it as soon as it's available or never.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 05:56:11 am »

1. Yes.

2. Interaction modding of this kind is always roundabout because we don't have enough usage hints and counter triggers for all the things we need to do. Just giving the metroid the interaction will make it either use it as soon as it's available or never.

1. Alrighty, thanks.

2. Something similar to how 173 works in your SCP mod? (173 gives the interaction to everyone nearby to make them keep their eyes open which puts it in the frozen state until they "blink" when the interaction wears off.)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 05:59:20 am by 612DwarfAvenue »
Pages: [1] 2 3