Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Going to simplify rocks, which of the following rock's values should i use for the generic rock?

Conglomerate
- 4 (23.5%)
Granite
- 5 (29.4%)
Dolomite
- 2 (11.8%)
Gabbro
- 3 (17.6%)
Alternative. Post in the thread about it.
- 3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: October 31, 2012, 06:58:28 am

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: (34.11) NanoTrasen Exploratory Team - RD mandates Sulphuric Acid 0/3  (Read 23660 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11) NanoTrasen Exploratory Team - RD mandates Sulphuric Acid 0/3
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2012, 06:33:13 am »

Will there be gibbers for corpse disposal meat processing?

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2012, 07:05:39 am »

Will there be gibbers for corpse disposal meat processing?

As far as i know reactions can take corpses, so there just might be gibbers. There's gonna be one or two things you'll have to use vanilla workshops for due to a few reactions being hardcoded (or because i don't feel like manually remaking half a million reactions for the sake of having them in different buildings :P), unfortunately, but there's still a good deal of stuff i can move to custom buildings.

Now that i think about it, i can actually make Cloning work via a reaction that creates a placeholder object with a syndrome in its material. Material's set to boil, so it does so and the resulting syndrome cloud revives any nearby corpses. Obviously that's a hell of a lot more robust than what you have in SS13, but i don't see any other way.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 07:07:26 am by 612DwarfAvenue »
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2012, 09:39:26 pm »

Still going, getting it done bit by bit.

Eeyup, The Welder's just about done. Couple tweaks to the creature and body files, then it's just a matter of deciding how i want him to appear in fort mode. He's a [MEGABEAST] so i could just leave it at the default "appear at the map edge" thing, but i'm thinking of having him appear in an explosion of blood somewhere instead. Just because.

On the topic of Metroids, it turns out it's possible for a creature to use an interaction as part of an actual attack, instead of it just being a seperate thing it can do.
Code: (Taken from the wiki) [Select]
SPECIALATTACK_INTERACTION

When this attack lands successfully, an interaction with I_SOURCE:ATTACK will take effect on the target creature.
The attack must break the target creature's skin in order to work. This will take effect in worldgen as well.

So i'm not sure a tennis-style system of interactions is needed after all! Their attack has the interaction attached to it, a little bit after they attack someone they'll grow into an adult. I can get away with keeping it simple like that because either the Metroid will kill the dude and you can pretend it sucked him dry enough to be able to grow, or the Metroid will be killed and thus nothing happens. I don't see why a Metroid would only attack once and then run away considering the tags i'll be giving it, so weirdness should be kept to a minimum.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 03:19:47 am by 612DwarfAvenue »
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2012, 05:45:41 pm »

I voted other,  I think common stone should use the most common stone as a template, which from what I've read is chert.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2013, 01:03:00 am »

Just bumping this to inform everyone that i've resumed working on it again. Hopefully with less hiatuses this time.

I've decided to somewhat change my goals for this mod. Instead of trying to fit everything i could from SS13 and make it as much like SS13 as possible, which was kind of killing my interest because of the extra hassle, i'm instead creating this as kind of its own thing gameplay-wise. It's still in the SS13 universe of course (BS12's specifically, but it'll still have certain things from /tg/ and Goon), but it's being made specifically for DF's ground-based gameplay as opposed to haphazardly cramming in everything from SS13 (i'll still include what i can from SS13 of course, but only if it's sensible for this mod). This isn't a full-fledged science station, it's just an outpost on (or under) the ground, and while there will be science to do, the focus is on just keeping the place going despite whatever's thrown at you.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2013, 11:03:40 am »

If you still want to emulate the antics of SS13 in space, you can always build floating fortresses. Shutting off [CAVE-INS] generally will help out with this; or at least having some sort of anchor to retain cave-ins.

For other items of interest that can contribute to the mod, I think the Wasteland/Fallout mod should have some items here and there that you can apply/base off of; like the cement factory and arc reactors.

Always an interesting thing to implement, if possible, is to be able to collect blood, and produce clonexadone to produce synth-meat. Of course, synth-meat, due to how broken it could become, should have a risk of poisoning due to not being entirely natural; especially in raw form. However, if in an evil biome, I don't know if synth-meat should have a chance of "awakening" or not.

As to not render chemistry stations and the like from being horribly broken, what can help is collecting the necessary raw materials the ingredients would come from, and use material processors to break them down, and a centrifuge or something of the sort to finalize the processing of the material. Naturally, beakers, vials (and chem-safe barrels), and such will need to be be produced to contain them.

Using syndromes, all kinds of grenades can be used/produced with the various properties they can be given, when produced right. Even my personal favorite, Peyote-nades (space drugs in gas grenade form + whatever else I feel like including in them, like polytrinic acid, for example), can be produced and used.

Thanks to the customizability of DF and raws, I think we can make more varied chemistry reactions, and ways to make use of them. Explosive thermite boulders anyone?

EDIT:
For alternative building materials (and a way to spend some excess chemical resources), you can always combine a chem-station to produce sodium chloride, and use a synthesizer which takes that product, and use it to produce rock salt boulders/(blocks from mason workshops) as a cheap 'n' easy building/crafting material; alternative to green glass and cement.

If possible, within the limits of the technology of SS13, and some coding in DF, you can always build a well over a saltwater source, and have sodium-chloride as a byproduct of desalination plants (as a workshop; not the screw pump method). Produces clean drinkable water, and cheap building materials (along with chem-station ingredients; especially when separated through a centrifuge/chem-processor into Chlorine and Sodium separately for other uses in a chem-station.) when processed in a material synthesizer. Should make beach and island embarks a bit simpler to take on without needing to breach an aquifer.

Naturally, to make an effective desalination/water purification plant (to clean murky and blood/vomit/toxic water as well), I would advise you bring at least a block/bar of activated carbon or few to produce a proper desalination plant. Of course, to produce activated carbon, you'll need a forge of sorts to process raw carbon into activated carbon. Besides desalination/purification plants, activated carbon can also be used for cleaning materials, and air scrubbers to remove miasma for areas where they tend to come up often. Dwarves/crew members that stop around air scrubbers/purifiers get a happy thought from "tasting delicious freon" or "smelled clean air".

REFERENCES:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_carbon (amazing stuff with plenty of SS13-DF potential; even compressed into building blocks (which material grinders can grind back into a powder (speed up transporting it from one part of the fort to another, sparing sand bags in the process); with other materials as well), would make an interesting looking building or craft/statue to show off.)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:42:28 am by Itnetlolor »

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2013, 07:48:01 pm »

If you still want to emulate the antics of SS13 in space, you can always build floating fortresses. Shutting off [CAVE-INS] generally will help out with this; or at least having some sort of anchor to retain cave-ins.

Yeah but still, that has its own issues and quirks that i wouldn't be able to fix. I'd rather have it all on the ground proper.

For other items of interest that can contribute to the mod, I think the Wasteland/Fallout mod should have some items here and there that you can apply/base off of; like the cement factory and arc reactors.

I'll look into it.

Always an interesting thing to implement, if possible, is to be able to collect blood, and produce clonexadone to produce synth-meat. Of course, synth-meat, due to how broken it could become, should have a risk of poisoning due to not being entirely natural; especially in raw form. However, if in an evil biome, I don't know if synth-meat should have a chance of "awakening" or not.

I know it's possible to buy barrels of blood, not sure how to collect it manually. Is it even possible to use liquids in reactions?

In addition, hordes of Synthmeat attacking the fort from within would be awesome.

As to not render chemistry stations and the like from being horribly broken, what can help is collecting the necessary raw materials the ingredients would come from, and use material processors to break them down, and a centrifuge or something of the sort to finalize the processing of the material. Naturally, beakers, vials (and chem-safe barrels), and such will need to be be produced to contain them.

I am going to try getting Chemistry in in some form.

Using syndromes, all kinds of grenades can be used/produced with the various properties they can be given, when produced right. Even my personal favorite, Peyote-nades (space drugs in gas grenade form + whatever else I feel like including in them, like polytrinic acid, for example), can be produced and used.

Grenades are out, since there's no real way to make people actually use them. Syringe guns, on the other hand, should be pretty possible.

Thanks to the customizability of DF and raws, I think we can make more varied chemistry reactions, and ways to make use of them. Explosive thermite boulders anyone?

Thermite doesn't explode that much, rather it just burns hot as hell. :P

EDIT:
For alternative building materials (and a way to spend some excess chemical resources), you can always combine a chem-station to produce sodium chloride, and use a synthesizer which takes that product, and use it to produce rock salt boulders/(blocks from mason workshops) as a cheap 'n' easy building/crafting material; alternative to green glass and cement.

Ehhh. This is 2557 we're talking about, i doubt they're still using cement, and building stuff out of salt is just silly :P.

If possible, within the limits of the technology of SS13, and some coding in DF, you can always build a well over a saltwater source, and have sodium-chloride as a byproduct of desalination plants (as a workshop; not the screw pump method). Produces clean drinkable water, and cheap building materials (along with chem-station ingredients; especially when separated through a centrifuge/chem-processor into Chlorine and Sodium separately for other uses in a chem-station.) when processed in a material synthesizer. Should make beach and island embarks a bit simpler to take on without needing to breach an aquifer.

Only way that'd work is if you roleplay that the plant's desalinating anything, and only use it next to wells over saltwater. It's impossible to make workshop require it be built over or near water.

Naturally, to make an effective desalination/water purification plant (to clean murky and blood/vomit/toxic water as well), I would advise you bring at least a block/bar of activated carbon or few to produce a proper desalination plant. Of course, to produce activated carbon, you'll need a forge of sorts to process raw carbon into activated carbon. Besides desalination/purification plants, activated carbon can also be used for cleaning materials, and air scrubbers to remove miasma for areas where they tend to come up often. Dwarves/crew members that stop around air scrubbers/purifiers get a happy thought from "tasting delicious freon" or "smelled clean air".

A working air scrubber is outright impossible. Water purification may be possible, but i'm not sure how to work it without requiring the workshop be deconstructed every time you need to clean the water. I guess you could say it's just a container that you fill up with some "cleaning agent" (that's just water, for game mechanics purposes), then deconstruct to let it loose. But if that works, that has the risk of washing the dude who deconstructed it into the water as well. Maybe some roundabout way using supports to hold the container in the air, and then pulling a lever to destroy the support, caving in the building (and floors it was on, so you'd have to keep everyone away) so the cleaning agent splashes into the water without putting anyone at risk. But even that sounds kinda screwy, since i don't even know if the "water" it contains will even count as actual water.

REFERENCES:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_carbon (amazing stuff with plenty of SS13-DF potential; even compressed into building blocks (which material grinders can grind back into a powder (speed up transporting it from one part of the fort to another, sparing sand bags in the process); with other materials as well), would make an interesting looking building or craft/statue to show off.)

I'll look into it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2013, 08:00:00 pm »

What the heck do you mean there's no way to get people to use grenades??? A grenade-throwing arm weapon that uses grenades as ammunition, using projectileExpansion to make grenades... yeah.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2013, 08:27:34 pm »

Water purification can work this way:
Reactions require a bucket of impure water (anything but clean), and desalinate saltwater will require the same thing for it's own reaction.
Impure & saltwater to pure water requires an empty barrel and up to 3 buckets of the impure water (fetched from a well; a collect water command could be used/made). Desalination adds an empty bag to the requirements, since we're dumping filtered salt out of the machine.

A (or several) block(s) of activated carbon is among the building materials used (no need to replace; unless you want to add a bag into the mix, and expand the requirements to several barrels and empty bags to have a more plausible output).

Concrete is a timeless material (and it's been around since the Roman Empire, and we still use it); and building structures out of salt is no sillier than building them out of tallow. This is DF. Besides, salt structures have been made, or at least, carved in caves. Not surprisingly, I wouldn't be surprised to see if salt figurines and the like, exist.

Putnam makes a good point about grenades (and grenade guns, you can always make).

Thermite with an explosive inside it would explode and burn; but it depends on if the thermite is set off first before the grenade explodes. Otherwise, thermite ammo can still be considered; provided they ignite on contact; but then again, magnesium tracer rounds can be just as effective; and thermite rounds would work better with higher calibur stuff, like ballista heads or some sort of (auto-)cannon round which melts just about any armor after enough contact.

EDIT:
Spoiler: As do salt crafts (click to show/hide)

Being in space that whole time does things to you. BTW, how else would you make use of a near-limitless excess of salt?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 08:54:45 pm by Itnetlolor »

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2013, 09:03:34 pm »

The Shitcurity hits The Syndie in The Head with A Toolbox, tearing a ligament and cracking the skull!

The Shitcurity hits The Syndie in The Torso with A Stun Glove, bruising the muscle and tearing a ligament!

The Assistant hits The Syndie in The Head with A Crowbar, shoving the skull through the brain!

The Syndie has died.

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2013, 02:11:21 pm »

Any chance of cyborging being added?
Pages: 1 2 [3]