Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need to buy a new PC. Advice?  (Read 1135 times)

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need to buy a new PC. Advice?
« on: October 08, 2012, 11:47:27 am »

Hi all, I'm looking for a New pc, and i thought i'd ask for advice here before looking around on the net, as you guys have some beastly pc's and good knowledge

Things i'm Not interested in:

Building my own PC from scratch: (I don't have the time or experience, even if the costs savings are significant)
Buying without crucial parts: (I need to have it ready to go and internet ready once plugged in. No having to buy network cards, graphics cards or whatever. I don't need a monitor)

What i am interested in:

A PC with the ability to watch Hd movies on a display of upto 1360x786 or 1280x800
Decent Ram (what is decent nowadays??)
Pre-installed operating system (windows 7)
Cpu: dual core minimun
Harddrive: anything upto 500GB is fine

I really have problems keeping up with these graphics cards, i'm not really a gamer, but I do like the look of skyrim, Civ 4 and Civ 5. I don't want to run any of these at highest settings, mid would be fine

Budget starts from £300, and i COULD stretch it to £400 if needed. I am based in the UK

Alternatively (or additionally) please bring me up to date up modern computers (the one i have now is 8 years old) and what is considered acceptable nowadays for my needs

Thanks!

I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

Khorne

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only Blood God.
    • View Profile
Re: Need to buy a new PC. Advice?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 01:14:52 pm »

Since you are not interested in building your own PC, I cannot offer you the specs for my 400$ something gaming computer. I'd suggest looking on Newegg for a prebuilt gaming computer. If you get interested in building your own PC, I can offer greater assistance, and can give you the specs of my PC.
This is my signature. Notice how it is all clean and bloodless? Well a sacrifice of Men Women or Space Marines will help me put blood on this signature,
-Khrone 2013.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 03:37:41 pm »

Here ya go. This is assuming you want a desktop, and not a laptop, because you didn't specify.

Also, essentially, anything with a modern graphics card (intel onboard doesn't count,) can watch movies in your desired resolution. 4GB of RAM is standard for on-the-shelf models, but more is almost always better. The processor in the PC that I've linked you to is a quad-core. The A-Series and iSeries have special bits that make them operate differently (the A-series leans on the graphics card, which is why it comes with one, and the iseries has hyperthreading and auto-overclocking,) so that's something to think about. HDD is no big deal, and the one in the PC I linked is 1TB, or roughly 1,000GB. Roughly.

Note: I am biased, as I'm the HP rep for my area. Telle should probably be in here soon to bash me. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 06:51:27 pm »

HP SUCKS!!! LOLOLOL DELL 4 LYFE!!!

In other news, I've found Dell is a decent brand and I've never had any problems with them.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 07:01:54 pm »

Juxtaposed to starting a new thread... What would my best bet for a really good gaming rig that should hopefully last quite a few years without needing significant upgrades.  I am capable of installing some things myself (upgraded my own ram, harddrive, and video cards before).  I have about 1000$ maybe a bit more to spend, though less is always nice, the main point is I want something that will stay capable for years to come and should be fairly hardy as well as having more then enough power to play todays best games.
Nom nom nom

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 07:43:49 pm »

In other news, I've found Dell is a decent brand and I've never had any problems with them.
depending on how much you spend cause their inspiron series blow chunks.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 08:02:18 am »

Juxtaposed to starting a new thread... What would my best bet for a really good gaming rig that should hopefully last quite a few years without needing significant upgrades.  I am capable of installing some things myself (upgraded my own ram, harddrive, and video cards before).  I have about 1000$ maybe a bit more to spend, though less is always nice, the main point is I want something that will stay capable for years to come and should be fairly hardy as well as having more then enough power to play todays best games.
The HP h9-1100z Phoenix is a good starting point (and the base model is on sale for $899 right now.) I'm not linking it, because you can custom it up. Starts with the FX8120 8-core, 10GB RAM, 2TB HDD, and a Radeon HD 7670. Oh, and you can have a liquid cooling kit pre-installed for $60.

Also:
* MaximumZero activates facepunch mode.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 09:02:14 am »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sphere-PC-AMD-Bulldozer-FX-4100-Quad-Core-3-6GHz-8GB-RAM-1TB-HDD-HD6670-2GB-/320964427306

is £320 plus extra £80 for Windows 7 install.

Decent pc for £400 with 3 years warranty.

Or if not bothered too much about latest games for the moment,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SpherePC-Intel-Core-i3-2100-3-1GHz-4GB-DDR3-1333MHz-RAM-500GB-HDD-Windows-7-PC-/200800142763

£320 with Windows 7 included, then install a £80 gfx card for max settings in most games.  3 year warranty also.  They would probably have gfx cards on ebay shop too so could probably get them to install one at time of purchase.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:04:46 am by foil »

Khorne

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only Blood God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 12:01:26 pm »

I will give you the specs for my gaming rig. I just need to find them, I use Corsair parts in it, and it has a military grade motherboard. So far I've never had to update it, it should cost you roughly 400/500 dollars if you build it yourself.
This is my signature. Notice how it is all clean and bloodless? Well a sacrifice of Men Women or Space Marines will help me put blood on this signature,
-Khrone 2013.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 01:09:50 pm »

nvm lol.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 01:11:27 pm by foil »