Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CD drive stopped working.  (Read 1063 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
CD drive stopped working.
« on: October 10, 2012, 01:42:09 am »

My laptop's built-in CD drive has stopped working after years of good functionality. Every time I put a disk in I can hear it start to spin (and, I assume, read) the disk, but then it stops and makes a sad whirring sound. I have tried rebooting, dusting, and driver-updating, but to no avail. I'm running Windows 7 64bit, if it's relevant.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: CD drive stopped working.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 04:09:30 am »

It's probably just dead.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 08:17:43 am »

Really? Damn. Oh well, at least I still have the external.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 07:14:29 pm »

My laptop's built-in CD drive has stopped working after years of good functionality. Every time I put a disk in I can hear it start to spin (and, I assume, read) the disk, but then it stops and makes a sad whirring sound. I have tried rebooting, dusting, and driver-updating, but to no avail. I'm running Windows 7 64bit, if it's relevant.
at least for most laptops they are easily replaceable.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 06:50:32 am »

It could just be grime on the reader lens.  Try giving it a wipe with a cotton bud and window cleaner or something but dont soak the drive lol.