Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Thoughts screen is in a state of distress and must improved for readability  (Read 751 times)

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile

I searched, and while there are a few topics discussing UI improvements I felt was necessary to call this out in specific.

The Thoughts screen is in some trouble. The amount of info it contains has increased over the years and its grown from a simple collection of thoughts and preferences and has since turned into a 30 page dossier created by the NSA

It's not just a "nice to have" feature anymore. A dwarf's personality, needs, physicality, etc. all have actual impacts on gameplay and in some cases dramatically so.

It's time to move away form the walls of text and make it a bit more readable

Here are a few suggestions

1. Add 2 Line Breaks Between Sections
This is the easiest one to implement. It doesn't address how vertically "long" the screen is, but it makes it far easier to parse. 

Simply add a double line break so that sections are separated by a blank line. This is a standard when separating paragraphs without using an indent.

2. Give Each Section a Title
Thoughts and Preferences contains way more than those two things these days. The UI should be updated to remind the user what each section actually is

All players could benefit from a reminder, but new players - particularly viewers of Let's Plays - would find such info vital.

Something like:

Personal Values
Like others of her culture, she holds craftsdwarfship to be of the highest...etc

Personality
She has little interest in playing around. She needs alcohol to get through the working day...etc

3. Hide Extraneous Information
There are generally two use cases for accessing Thoughts:
-I need to know a vital piece of information so I can perform a game action, like assigning them a job, addressing their needs, addressing their unhappiness, etc.
-I want to know flavor information about a dwarf, often in the context of sharing the dwarf in a Let's Play situation

I'd propose that Thoughts have two 'modes' that you can toggle with a button.

The first mode shows the basics or "rolled up" versions of each section. For example, if a dwarf is largely undistracted it'll simple say "She is undistracted" and will not display the 15-20 factors contributing to her undistraction.

The second mode shows the expanded version, which is what we have today

4. Consolidate Redundant Text
This one is harder by virtue of the fact there's a text generator that needs to worry about all sorts of possible strings that may or may not exist, strings that can could vary in wording and length, etc. etc..

That said, consolidating accomplishes two things:
-You reduce the amount of words, making it look less daunting
-You improve the 'flow' of a sentence, making it easier to read, conceptualize, and memorize

"She is a citizen of the Youthful Basement. She is a member of the Fleshy Crypt" -> "She is a citizen of the Youthful Basement and a member of the Fleshy Crypt"

"Her hair is straight. Her very long hair is arranged in double braids. Her hair is flax" -> "Her very long flaxen hair is straight and arranged in double braids"

I know this has been suggested before and some areas are already 'consolidated', but look for some more easy wins
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 04:18:00 pm by SirPenguin »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info

Yes, this would be nice. I have dyslexia so the existing paragraph is a bit much for me, and I end up rereading sentences 5 times to figure out what they actually mean.

(Ideal would be to see truetype support for the descriptions and thoughts screens, but alas, the guy who implemented that has been devoured by google last time I heard)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

Might want to put the different sections on separate tabs, even. One for thoughts/personality, one for stats, etc.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile

Agreed, separate tabs would make a lot of sense as well. Heck, even a design closer to a table (three columns of info) could make better use of the space