Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: What would be the file size of dwarf fortress if it had skyrim graphics?  (Read 24519 times)

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
Re: What would be the file size of dwarf fortress if it had skyrim graphics?
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2012, 05:53:07 pm »

Not big, really. That would be somewhere close to WorldForge plus a fully automated world-gen - i.e. heavy scripting first running map editor, then whipping server through pre-simulation mode.
Oh, and of course, all the graphics as such - but it's given, right?  :D
But the actual program would remain quite small... like it is now. Well, it'll grow, but not nearly as much as some round here seem to think.
Yup.
Ember: 2.1 MB. Ember-media: 281 MB. All necessary libraries take more place than a client or server, but the full kit is still a few MB - negligible compared to used graphic and sound data itself.
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"

§¢ǿŗÞﵧ

• Bay Watcher
  • Terrible coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2012, 08:55:08 am »

Thus, once the Universe reaches its point of literal infinity, it will cease to expand.

infinity is unlimited therefore you can never reach infinity.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2012, 04:53:40 pm »

Thus, once the Universe reaches its point of literal infinity, it will cease to expand.

But you cannot get anything bigger than infinity, can you?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2012, 04:55:38 pm »

But you cannot get anything bigger than infinity, can you?
No, Infinity is not a arbitrary number limit like the speed of light. The very definition of infinity is that there is no limit.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2012, 05:30:50 pm »

Infinity is a continuous value. No end to it.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2012, 06:04:07 pm »

Inf + Inf = Inf
Inf * Inf = Inf

1/0 = ?   ( (+/-)Inf ? )
Inf - Inf = ?
Inf * 0 = ?    --- Undefined
Inf / Inf = ?

You can't reach Infinity because it's a moving goalpost.  You can't get any closer to it, no matter how high the numbers go.  -Inf < x < Inf, where x is any real number.

Infinite Sets have slightly different rules than infinite values.  The infinite set of all whole numbers is infinitely less than the infinite set of all real numbers.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 06:13:34 pm by SethCreiyd »

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2012, 02:22:33 am »

It would be as powerful as the universe.

You are now slowly realizing that we are simply humans in a game of DF.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2012, 03:23:19 am »

Don't let me pull a Keanu.

FAKEEDIT: TOO LATE

she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2012, 03:44:43 am »

Well, you might end up with a base style similar to this:
http://procworld.blogspot.co.uk/

And that's been going for a good while now. And that's just terrain.
I'm pretty sure the amount of data is fairly huge.

If an exported DF world map is about 50MB for max sized worlds in tiles, how large do you think a map of comparable area of 3D land would be?

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2012, 07:50:35 pm »

Inf + Inf = Inf
Inf * Inf = Inf
1/0 = ?   ( (+/-)Inf ? )
Inf - Inf = ?
Inf * 0 = ?    --- Undefined
Inf / Inf = ?
You can't reach Infinity because it's a moving goalpost.  You can't get any closer to it, no matter how high the numbers go.  -Inf < x < Inf, where x is any real number.
  This doesn't mean "less" / "greater" aren't appliable, though, so you can jump over it.
aleph0+N=aleph0
aleph0*N=aleph0
2^aleph0=aleph1

Well, you might end up with a base style similar to this:
http://procworld.blogspot.co.uk/
And that's been going for a good while now. And that's just terrain.
I'm pretty sure the amount of data is fairly huge. 
If via head-on mapping, yes, and most of it will never be really used. That's exactly why there are generators, e.g. WorldForge (see above) uses Mercator terrain library. Get a base shape under 1 kb, then apply changes.
I don't know how it works in DF, but ore veins as bitmasks suggest a much more procedural-oriented approach than plain 1:1 mapping.
If an exported DF world map is about 50MB for max sized worlds in tiles, how large do you think a map of comparable area of 3D land would be?
It's already 3D.
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2012, 08:37:48 pm »

OK, so Infinity is, uh, infinite.

But the point I attempted to make before was in the context of if Reality were merely a computer simulation, then it would be impossible to represent Infinity, only an arbitrarily large number, which means that, sentence run-on aside, our constantly expanding Universe will eventually reach the point pf that arbitrarily large number.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

sudgy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2012, 12:28:20 am »

That's kind of the point people were making earlier, how if the universe is a simulation, the universe simulating our universe must be larger than our universe.  The things that could being possible if you wanted our universe to be simulated then, is:

1. The universe simulating ours is truly infinite (it wouldn't have to be the same type of universe as ours)
2. Our universe has a limit to how big it can get, and who knows what will happen when that happens.
3. The universe simulating ours is also getting bigger, which means that our universe essentially has no limit, as that limit is always getting greater (of course, that leaves the question of how the universe simulating ours is getting constantly bigger (so you could say only the first two possibilities are the only possible ones as the third relies on the first two))

I guess you could also do some strange thing where the way you're simulating the universe doesn't take up more memory, but I don't know if that could be done with something of our universe's complexity.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2012, 04:39:00 am »

Hm. That also begs the question of how the machine running the simulation is constantly "getting bigger"; unless our overlords often hit the Save button so they can shut it down then upgrade it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2012, 09:43:36 pm »

Hm. That also begs the question of how the machine running the simulation is constantly "getting bigger"; unless our overlords often hit the Save button so they can shut it down then upgrade it.
It wouldn't surprise me.

We are, of course, assuming a computer with finite computing power, a potential fallacy in and of itself.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2012, 11:07:28 pm »

It wouldn't surprise me.

We are, of course, assuming a computer with finite computing power, a potential fallacy in and of itself.
Which would be assuming a computer with infinite computing power would be possible - which I think is unlikely.
Even if there's an absolutely mind-bogglingly massive number of different Universes, very few of them would have the correct system of physics to make infinite computing power possible. But the one Universe that did fit the requirements would be the one 'hosting' our world, of course...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8