Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: What would be the file size of dwarf fortress if it had skyrim graphics?  (Read 24496 times)

§¢ǿŗÞﵧ

• Bay Watcher
  • Terrible coder
    • View Profile

I'm just wondering. If DF did have as good graphics as skyrim, I would estimate the file size to be above 3 or 4 terabytes. What do you guys think?  :-\

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: What would be the file size of dwarf fortress if it had skyrim graphics?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 06:51:26 pm »

Too large for any comercially sold computer to handle.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

§¢ǿŗÞﵧ

• Bay Watcher
  • Terrible coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 06:55:36 pm »

well, scientists are developing a new form of computer called a quantum computer. Quantum computer crystals are thought to be as powerful as a digital computer the size of the visible universe!  :o But i doubt it will be commercial any time soon.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 06:56:16 pm »

well, scientists are developing a new form of computer called a quantum computer. Quantum computer crystals are thought to be as powerful as a digital computer the size of the visible universe!  :o But i doubt it will be commercial any time soon.
That might just be enough.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 06:56:40 pm »

They're also thought to be almost completely useless for any purpose other than cryptography.

§¢ǿŗÞﵧ

• Bay Watcher
  • Terrible coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 06:58:08 pm »

They're also thought to be almost completely useless for any purpose other than cryptography.

currently they are thought to be useless, later on they might be used for a more wider variety of things

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 07:11:04 pm »

Insane.
Such a thing could not exist. Think about it, how much detail would the game have to create and store just to show an average marksdwarf? It gets worse if the dwarf in question is missing some fingers and so has to grip the crossbow differently, if said crossbow is an artifact, if the bolts are decorated, etc. And don't get me started on Forgotten Beasts and engravings...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 07:17:56 pm »

Insane.
Such a thing could not exist. Think about it, how much detail would the game have to create and store just to show an average marksdwarf? It gets worse if the dwarf in question is missing some fingers and so has to grip the crossbow differently, if said crossbow is an artifact, if the bolts are decorated, etc. And don't get me started on Forgotten Beasts and engravings...
A procedurally generated world could handle it, with the right computer. A moon sized computer.

Moonputer.

§¢ǿŗÞﵧ

• Bay Watcher
  • Terrible coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 07:23:59 pm »

Insane.

yup, it would take decades to complete. but still it would be awsome.  :D

There is something more depressing about this too. with the creation of quantum computers, philosophers now think that there is a possibility that we might be living in a simulation. I know it sounds crazy but think about it carefully: If quantum computers have the potential to be this powerful, then it is possible they can create artificial intelligence in a simulation. And these computers also have the possibility to simulate entire universes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 07:28:08 pm »

philosophers now think that there is a possibility that we might be living in a simulation. I know it sounds crazy...

Heh, this has been common conceptual knowledge for a while now scorp :)

Philosophers and scientists are fond of thought experiments. Nothing new. Just a whole load of meta-maths. The future is just fun like that.

§¢ǿŗÞﵧ

• Bay Watcher
  • Terrible coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 07:31:59 pm »

philosophers now think that there is a possibility that we might be living in a simulation. I know it sounds crazy...

Heh, this has been common conceptual knowledge for a while now scorp :)

Philosophers and scientists are fond of thought experiments. Nothing new. Just a whole load of meta-maths. The future is just fun like that.

yup, there also are problems with this view, For example: pi has infinite digits so it would be impossible for quantum computers to calculate the exact value, but there HAS to be an exact value to pi.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 07:34:44 pm »

yup, there also are problems with this view, For example: pi has infinite digits so it would be impossible for quantum computers to calculate the exact value, but there HAS to be an exact value to pi.
Yes but it is an irrational number. It computes really well, if you consider maths to be a tool that helps us think.

§¢ǿŗÞﵧ

• Bay Watcher
  • Terrible coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 07:44:33 pm »

Yes but it is an irrational number. It computes really well, if you consider maths to be a tool that helps us think.

its not just pi there are more examples from quantum mechanics, but that does not belong on this forum.

Anyway,

Dwarf Fortress doesn't need better graphics, it already has the worlds best graphics: our imaganation  :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 07:46:30 pm by §¢ǿŗÞﵧ »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 07:57:21 pm »

its not just pi there are more examples from quantum mechanics, but that does not belong on this forum.

Well we are prone to shouting out FOR SCIENCE from time to time, so I don't see why it'd not belong on the forum... Though maybe in the lower boards :P

§¢ǿŗÞﵧ

• Bay Watcher
  • Terrible coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 07:59:07 pm »

Well we are prone to shouting out FOR SCIENCE from time to time, so I don't see why it'd not belong on the forum... Though maybe in the lower boards :P

it would get way to complex
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8