Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Woot! Tomb Raider tomorrow!  (Read 3186 times)

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Woot! Tomb Raider tomorrow!
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 02:11:27 am »

The game is not bad, but there are some weird design decisions in there. I cannot understand why they made the bow that unrealistic, with huge kinetic effect on your target. I mean, I don't expect super realistic simulation, but in this case it's so overdone that it feel like you are firing a ballista.

I don't think it was really overdone by much. If you ever fire a bow, you'll see that it packs some punch. The bows i used to fire had around 30 pounds of draw weight, and compound bows could go up to 60-70 pounds.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 06:05:29 pm »

Further in the game now. 

Lara Croft is 1 human army, literally.  Kicking the arse of the 'Oni' is infinitely more satisfying then the run of the mill enemies....  plus, the 'Oni' don't have +3 guys shooting at me with machine guns during most of the battle.  It might have helped(my satisfaction) that I unlocked the pistol execution around then too...

Most frustrating part I've encountered so far is probably in an open area and no cover.  You start stealthed, but when you are caught, everyone homes in on you.  Plus 2 dogs.  The no cover problem is the most lethal part, because machine guns and scrambling is not 100% effective when I try to run away or close in.
Sure, you could pick off more then half the enemies, but there are 2 groups bunched together where you can't pick em off without alerting the whole map.  And you gotta do so to advance, since one of those groups are in the way and won't move/get alone.  I ended up using shock and rush to get the job done... before the 2nd group comes up behind me with their machine guns.

What irked me is when enemies literally drops out of the air...  groundwork/things around do not support them jumping down from high places...  Or where the heck reinforcements are coming from when I advance the way they came in...  and only find a small hole for me to slip through, it ends up being a slip and slide.  (They could not have climbed up that...)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 06:07:32 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 07:51:44 pm »

I can't really see this game as torturing Lara Croft. She's so infinitely more badass about it than any of us players could ever be. I'm about 1/4 - 1/3 through the game, and I'm jumping all over the place but still have not come across the scene where I perform first aid on my gaping abdomen wound.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 08:22:38 pm »

I can't really see this game as torturing Lara Croft. She's so infinitely more badass about it than any of us players could ever be. I'm about 1/4 - 1/3 through the game, and I'm jumping all over the place but still have not come across the scene where I perform first aid on my gaping abdomen wound.

It apperantly has more to do with how they presented the game then how the game actually was.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 10:40:09 pm »

It apperantly has more to do with how they presented the game then how the game actually was.
Yea... I guess people were just ready to pounce on this game screaming and yelling: "Other M 2.0!"  or some other crazy things...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 01:43:54 am »

I read Womb Raider in the title....
I'd play that...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 01:54:30 am »

I'd play that...

Who are you Navigator?

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 02:57:08 am »

Does anyone else have problems seeing the QTE button prompts on PC, or am I just being dumb?

Spoiler: Early Spoilers! (click to show/hide)

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 08:34:04 am »

I like this new TR, and especially the 'Lost' setting.

Does anyone else have problems seeing the QTE button prompts on PC, or am I just being dumb?

Spoiler: Early Spoilers! (click to show/hide)
Hehe, I also died many times during the falling boulder QTE. :D
The icon was actually hidden under the subtitles...

I'd play that...
Later in the game you can get a 'mission' named 'Cairn Raider'. :)
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 12:22:30 pm »

I'm not too great with words... so I'll link this Tomb Raider vs Uncharted comparison thing.

Kirk: And then there's the way it feels, which is a word I've noticed you keep using. We're talking about a lot of granular differences between the two games, but I think the biggest one comes down to that word. Tomb Raider feels different to me, and that's largely because I can really feel for Lara, I get a sense that this world has a real impact on her.

When she jumps, she lands hard. When she falls, she lands harder. When she's injured, she limps. When she tumbles, she's out of control. I think that one of the great successes of Tomb Raider is how thoroughly they've allowed their protagonist to inhabit the world they've created. And again, this is something they've taken from Uncharted and improved upon: I still remember when Nathan Drake first walked past that burning train car at the start of Uncharted 2 and held his hands up to shield his face from the heat. Tomb Raider takes that moment and multiplies it.

You've mentioned to me how you think Lara's vulnerability makes this game feel different from Uncharted, and I'm curious to hear a little more about that. How do you think Lara herself feels different from Nathan Drake?

Patricia: You've definitely hit on something in regards to Lara: I actually care about her, and that's helped by the design of the game. Man, she looks terrified sometimes, you can tell stuff hurts—and that's great. Not that she feels that way, of course, but that the game manages to make you empathize so much.

I don't really care about Nathan by comparison. I mean, it's interesting, and Uncharted has the better cast/is more charming, but I'm not like, agonizing over the trials that Nathan faces.

I'm glad you brought up that scene in Uncharted 2, because that's probably the best part to compare to Tomb Raider—we see Nathan at his worst. He's hurt. He's vulnerable. That's all of what Tomb Raider is about. But it doesn't feel believable in Uncharted, I'm not wincing when Nathan is like that.

And that vulnerability is at the heart of Tomb Raider, it's coded into even the smallest things. One of the strongest enemies holds a shield up in Tomb Raider, for example, and you have to let him get close and take a swing before you can shoot him—you have to let yourself be vulnerable, in other words.

But you know what they say, vulnerability is actually strength. I mention that since I don't want to make it sound like Lara is helpless or whatever. She's a badass through and through, but you watch her grow into it. So then after you—or should I say I—spend the entire game dreading encounters, and you get to the part with the grenade launcher and she's screaming back at her enemies, telling them she's going to get them...man, what a major, major moment of triumph. I've never felt that way while playing Uncharted. Lara feels like a person I've watched grow. Nathan....might be heading in the same way eventually, judging by the end of Uncharted 3, but it's nowhere near Lara's growth.

Considering I've actually tried to put the time into playing the 3 Uncharted games and never finished any of em, cause I quickly lost interest in em.(Rentals for the win.)
Though... I suppose I can't really bother myself with playing straight up shooters by myself anymore either.  Cause really, simply shooting NPCs gets old really quickly...  Bashing/stabbing their faces in or stealth killing em is where its at.  (By jah... Konami needs to finish up the next Metal Gear game so I can play it...)

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 05:11:26 am »

Resurrecting this thread because Tomb Raider needs a whole lot of lovin'.

I got this game just the other day (recommended by Gamecritics' Tim Spaeth) and, so far, it is amazing.  Crystal Dynamics did a fantastic job with Guardian of Light, which was the best multiplayer experience on XBL and the best TR game since the original IMO.  The latest game is even better.  This is a textbook example of how to modernize gameplay and presentation, and the TR franchise was the perfect vehicle.

So yeah, it's on Steam sale for another few hours, $25, so pretty darn good deal I think.  If you liked GoL or the original TR games, and like games with emotional impact, I'm pretty sure you'll like this.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...
Pages: 1 [2]