Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Wayward Roguelike - A HTML5 / Javascript game - Beta 1.1.1 released  (Read 16935 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Wayward Roguelike - A HTML5 / Javascript game
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 07:33:49 am »

Right, I just died to a time Skitter that dealt about 10-15 points of damage through armour, so I'm here to hand out some sweet, sweet advice candy!

If an item isn't auto-gathered, you need to dig it up with a sharpened item or shovel. You can do this on water to yield sand, on snow to yield a pile of snow, on bogs to yield peat and vines, on other terrains for piles of dirt. If you dig down past the top layer, you may well find clay. Red spotted mushrooms hurt you in addition to feeding you. Be careful.

Lighting a fire is one of the most basic, and yet most difficult parts of the game. You need 5 rock-like items and 1 fuel-like type. doesn't matter whether the fuel is logs, coal or peat. Kindling and twigs, despite giving fuel, are NOT fuel-like items, and won't work. Once you've built the campfire, right click it to put it down. Now use a fire plough or hand drill to set it aflame. Boom.

You pick up corpses by double clicking a sharpened object when you're facing (not on top of) the corpse. Spiders give nothing, but carving a couple of times will clear the land so you can put down objects.

As for the furnace, that's in my latest list update, I still have no idea how to make a forge and anvil, though. No amount of rocks appears to work, no amount of rope-like, rope, string-like, string, pole-like or wooden pole will work together to make it.

Incidentally, I still can't find a use for rope. No matter how I put things together, how many of everything I have, it won't do anything. Don't make it, as it uses up 1 weight, without having any use.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 07:37:09 am by Rowanas »
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 07:39:54 am »

Ohlol, I got stuck in a cave with an overloaded inventory while my char refused to drop anything. Apparently dying from exhaustion is preferable to littering in the cave. :D

Thanks for that info, Rowanas.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 08:54:18 am »

Yay, I found a way around the "accidentally select text and everything turns blue" at least in Firefox: Do a ctrl-f to start a search, search for something like xxx not on the page, and it will unselect everything.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 03:39:38 pm »

Prettied up the OP a bit, added Rowanas' guides on how to do tings.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 03:48:44 pm »

Hey. Hey guys.

http://www.unlok.ca/wiki/wayward/items/

Wiki. This is the items page, but you should be able to navigate to everywhere else.

Note it's not completely complete, there's a few minor items that aren't listed.
Nothing important here, move along.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 03:49:53 pm »

I find discovering it on one's own is much more fun.
My cabbages!

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 03:57:31 pm »

Is there any way of increasing the amount of stamina you have?

I tend to get the "You are working yourself to death!" messages very fast if I try to go mining or lumberjacking.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 04:00:28 pm »

As you play the game you'll eventually get "Your metabolism slows!" messages which are similar to the "you feel stronger/more agile" messages, but they seem to easily be the least common. Adds one max stamina. However, as your camping skill increases you'll restore more stamina when you sleep. It doesn't take long at all for it to completely outpace your stamina growth, so just use the bedroll a few times to max out your stamina right at the beginning, and you should be fine.

And while I made a forge once, I can't think of anything special I did. I think it involved logs though? It was a while ago.

EDIT: Although a note, sometimes only coal counts as a fuel like item. I know for iron ore at least logs don't count as a fuel like item, so maybe try having some coal around when you make it. Also I think I miiiiight've used a rope? I really can't remember but it might have been the case.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 04:12:54 pm »

I think you need a log and a separate fuel item for forges, possibly more. And a bunch of rocks obv.
My cabbages!

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 04:24:55 pm »

7 rocks, a log, and 2 fuel items that aren't the log (so you'd need 3 logs, 2 logs and a coal or peat, or 1 log, an 2 of either coal or peat or one and the other).

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 05:31:50 pm »

Well I had a great character going and I finally got a furnace, after having 30% or higher in a lot of skills and even some treasure. I built it, then camped, only to be greeted by a pirate ghost. :/ It seems like caves start out safe, but after you see one monster it's going to continually spawn more and more powerful monsters nonstop.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 12:57:33 am »

I have a furnace up and lit and running, but... I can't make pig iron o_O  It says I need to be facing a lit furnace, but I am...

edit: oh apparently I made a forge and anvil instead.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 01:17:49 am by Euld »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 01:29:47 am »

Furnace requires 2 less fuel items (and the fuel item does not have to be a log) and 1 more rock.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 01:39:51 am »

You also need a hammer to make pig iron, just as a side note. I always forget that part.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 01:28:30 pm »

Has anyone managed to make anything out of pig iron?  Or found a way to make steel?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5