Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Wayward Roguelike - A HTML5 / Javascript game - Beta 1.1.1 released  (Read 16876 times)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead

Remaking the thread, because the OP hasn't logged in since February, I'll add more stuff into this tomorrow when I get home from college.

Developer Video of Alpha 1.0

Wayward is a graphical sandbox roguelike, focused on semi-realistic survival in a wilderness. It has a pretty nice crafting system, where you can use x-like items, rather than needing one specific item. (Example, to make string, you need 2 string-like items, which can be tree bark, vines, etc.)

Dev Blog

Roguebasin Page

The game is fun, and very stable despite being an alpha. There are a few tiny issues, but overall it's very worthwhile playing.

Note: Maps currently do not save, so when you quit the game, the entire map is regenerated. You keep your skills and any items you had on you when you quit, but everything else is lost. The Beta, which is currently unreleased, will have map saving.

Note 2: Opera users need to save manually, the game does not autosave when you leave the page. There is a manual save option near the bottom of the options tab.

It was written in HTML5 and Javascript.

Play Here
Beta 1.0 Stuff

If an item isn't auto-gathered, you need to dig it up with a sharpened item or shovel. You can do this on water to yield sand, on snow to yield a pile of snow, on bogs to yield peat and vines, on other terrains for piles of dirt. If you dig down past the top layer, you may well find clay. Red spotted mushrooms hurt you in addition to feeding you. Be careful.

Lighting a fire is one of the most basic, and yet most difficult parts of the game. You need 5 rock-like items and 1 fuel-like type. doesn't matter whether the fuel is logs, coal or peat. Kindling and twigs, despite giving fuel, are NOT fuel-like items, and won't work. Once you've built the campfire, right click it to put it down. Now use a fire plough or hand drill to set it aflame. Boom.

You pick up corpses by double clicking a sharpened object when you're facing (not on top of) the corpse. Spiders give nothing, but carving a couple of times will clear the land so you can put down objects.

As for the furnace, that's in my latest list update, I still have no idea how to make a forge and anvil, though. No amount of rocks appears to work, no amount of rope-like, rope, string-like, string, pole-like or wooden pole will work together to make it.

Wayward Beta 1.0 Trailer
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 08:43:46 am by The Darkling Wolf »
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Wayward Roguelike - A HTML5 / Javascript game
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 06:54:08 pm »

I'm currently worknig on a list of every single item I've made. It won't provide any skill difficulties, but that's barely even important. It's a solid looking list, for now.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 07:02:07 pm »

For newer folks that want to get into metalworking right off, make a hammer
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
then go downstairs and start hitting rock with the hammer until you find ore and coal, you'll need both. Then you have to make a furnace, which I forget how to make, I remember it was a lot of large rocks though, then you've got pig iron! I also found limestone and talc which means steel is probably farther up the tree.

And I know it's not required to spoiler recipes but a lot of the fun of this was finding various little recipes. :P

Can't wait for map saving!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 07:56:47 pm »

I've never managed to make a furnace. I usually end up as a lumberjack, start to get good at things, and then so suddenly one night I'm surrounded by powerful monsters.

Also, any good food sources that aren't tree fungus? Because that's like all I eat.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 08:01:45 pm »

If you make a spear of some kind
, you can fish by double clicking while facing water. I've had better success with deep water. Hung me up for a while too.

Also just finished with my best score yet, 83240. Was playing by the rule that I don't refresh unless I've gotta go do something else for a while, so I think I did pretty well.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 08:04:22 pm »

I'm going to spoiler this, as it's a list of all the recipes that I've found since deciding to record them all. If you're stuck, it might help you out.

EDIT: Added all the armour I've found, finally managed to get the crucial missing ingredient for leatherworking, plus the beginning of metalworking, and a couple minor additions elsewhere.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 07:36:40 am by Rowanas »
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 08:35:53 pm »

Eyy, that helped me out. Thanks!

Thought the shovel was just for getting stuff out of the ground, never thought to try it out on other stuff.

EDIT: You can also make bark armor.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 10:27:36 pm by Seriyu »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 05:28:21 am »

I really need to stop updating this so often. I'm on a real crafting spree, uncovering loooooaaaads of recipes, and I keep having to stop every 5 minutes to update my list with another half a dozen finds. You guys might be glad to know that there's a better way to catch fish, by the way...

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 05:36:53 am »

This game is really cool.
Just got killed by a wolf with a score of 43k, I think.
How do you make a furnace?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 05:39:30 am by Facekillz058 »
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 05:38:59 am »

Meh, I accidentally selected the entire page and now there's no way to unselect it. What do?

Edit: also, is there any way to make it easier to move myself ONE tile and not two or more? The controls are waaay too sensitive.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 05:43:02 am by Dariush »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 05:50:07 am »

A furnace issss

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 05:56:14 am »

Damn, died at 34k. Bears are OP. :(

How do you get food? Can you do something with corpses? Is there any way to remove floors?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:08:35 am by Dariush »

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 05:59:59 am »

A furnace issss

kk, thanks.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 06:10:34 am »

Okay, Now I'm seriously thinking I missed some vital part of the control. I don't know how to gather mushrooms, pick up corpses or light fires. As a result, I'm starving to death despite being surrounded by mushrooms. This is hilarious.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:26:28 am by Dariush »

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 07:01:18 am »

I guess I'll wait for map saving.

I managed to swim from an island to another though.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 07:03:23 am by Leatra »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5