Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Making the ocean flood into caverns!  (Read 6143 times)

tuore

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Making the ocean flood into caverns!
« on: October 14, 2012, 10:22:58 am »

A random idea popped into my mind whilst playing in my seaside fort. It occurred to me that I could create an easy source of water for my hospital's well by flooding the cavern via a hole I had dug before.
Of course at this point I did not realise my most obvious mistake - sea water is not good for drinking.

I proceeded to let the ocean drain from this 1-tile hole about 70 z-levels down to a cavern layer. Now, unlike rivers, seas don't slowly fill up the area they flow into - they instantly fill the new tiles to 7/7 water.
FPS drops to about 0.1. After about a minute, the topmost layer of the ocean is gone:

I proceed to keep the game unpaused, and after a while the FPS slightly improved again. Now I have a river flowing as a waterfall to the sea and a huge cavern 7/7 full of water. The next thing I know, the earth seems to collapse beneath me:

These are sections of caverns I have not discovered. So basically the huge cavern network I flooded is starting to collapse. Apocalypse seems imminent.
The flooded cavern is located around Z-level +30, the collapsing parts are located at -20.

More sections of the cavern are collapsing. The game only progresses a few steps at a time before automatically pausing because of a collapse again. I'm starting to think that was a bad idea...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 10:25:44 am by tuore »

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
Re: Making the ocean flood into caverns!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 10:27:47 am »

You should have made a wooden oupost/boat in the caverns beforehand.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 10:41:50 am »

It sounds like your caverns had a magma pool. So, your water is repeatedly mixing with the magma to create obsidian, which promptly falls into the magma pool (the collapse).

Alas, the semi-molten rock at the bottom will swallow the obsidian up, so the pool will never fill with obsidian: this will never go away so long as water continues to pour into the depths.

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 10:46:45 am »

What?  Whenever I've flooded magma pools, only the diagonally-created obsidian collapses.  Shouldn't the messages end when the pool has been capped by orthogonally-created obsidian?  Which should only take... 200 or so messages?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 01:27:09 pm »

I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 02:05:24 pm »

I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

that is an awesome mental image

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 03:25:41 pm »

Could you upload the save so we can look at it and/or try and figure out what's wrong?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 07:15:14 pm »

I keep hearing that global warming is going to cause the ice caps to melt and the sea level to rise, flooding coastal cities and such. I think we should take this idea to the governments of the world, as a solution to that problem.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 07:17:48 pm »

The magma pipe will cap after a while so the collapsing cavern messages will eventually stop.

Once that happens, you need to dig down and flood Hell itself.

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
  • The difference between something and whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 04:07:44 pm »

Hell: The new great dwarven swimming pool.

orodoth

• Bay Watcher
  • A fat and drunken dwarf is a happy dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 07:33:28 pm »

that is an awesome mental image

I love a good comment that can actually make you laugh out loud, instead of a little snort while typing "lol"

Suoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 08:03:09 pm »

A random idea popped into my mind whilst playing in my seaside fort. It occurred to me that I could create an easy source of water for my hospital's well by flooding the cavern via a hole I had dug before.
Of course at this point I did not realise my most obvious mistake - sea water is not good for drinking.

That's the most obvious mistake? Well, there's a contender for that title, and it will be very obvious when the pressurized sea water fills the caverns and shoots through your well, flooding everything below Z-0.

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 08:31:33 pm »

That's not a mistake.

That's just !FUN!
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 08:34:54 pm »

That's not a mistake.

That's just !FUN!

don't forget to forbid the outer doors....

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 06:58:19 am »

Have you checked what actually is collapsing? Is it just obsidian created in the magama pool or have you actually managed to get natural caverns collapse?
Pages: [1] 2